2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Whisky

WKR
I really wished I did this challenge shooting at my Glendall Full Rut. I am stacking broadheads in the vitals at 60yd. I say this every year, but I don't seem to shoot spots very well at distance vs center mass vitals on a game target. I will have to figure out a way to put a brown vital zone on the Matrix.

Beendare

WKR
I agree. First couple practice seasons after the CBC did not go great. Rushed shots, didn’t focus on process or good back tension etc. shot my recurve at 40 today (cold shot but with field tip) and this was the result. I figured out I need to draw and anchor a couple times and go through process before I fire an arrow... they are definitely not always like thiS, but I’m getting more consistent with my first arrows. No pressure on either makes a diffence too.

Yeah, same here, my cold shot with my recurve is much worse than with a compound.

I know this going into a hunt...so I always warm up, shoot a couple arrows on the trail....or right before I hunt [I bring a couple practice arrows always] ....then typically I'm fine. This was a good exercise for me to develop a good warm up before shooting my first arrow.

I've been playing with the whole pre shot process and one of those thin latex bands is going to be part of my kit now. I use it to stretch, double or triple it and draw multiple times with both arms, then double and triple it holding it out in front with elbows out hands close together on the band...and just use my back to pull.

FWIW, This process helped me.

_______

Yeah, same here, my cold shot with my recurve is much worse than with a compound. I've been playing with the whole pre shot process and one of those thin latex bands is going to be part of my kit now. I use it to stretch, double or triple it and draw multiple times with both arms, then double and triple it holding it out in front with elbows out hands close together on the band...and just use my back to pull.

Cold trad compared to lining up those sights isn’t eve close lol. Great idea with the bands. I use thera bands all the time for workouts, I will have to work that into a routine before hunts and shooting. It’s all about drawing with my back too...if I add any shoulder pull or arm work into it I start slapping my cheek, plucking the string, and my groups at least double in size.
_______

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, as @Travis Bertrand @realunlucky, @Howard Mee & @Justin Crossley work to finish up the qualifiers' list in prep for our prize drawings, here's another great chance to work on your archery game.

Fellow Rokslider and owner of No Limits Archery/ Alpha bowhunting, @Phil Mendoza, just started the Effective Range Challenge at the link below.

It's different than the CBC in that he's taking you through different & realistic shot scenarios each day. You simply shoot the scenario and post your comments on the Rokslide Youtube channel, and you're in for two Hoyt Bow drawings. I shot today's challenge and it's a pretty sweet deal he's thought of. And YES, unlike hunting, you get to shoot more than one arrow a day ahahahahaha..

Here's the link to the discussion thread, you can access the youtube channel to comment from there:

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We've drawn!

First 6 prizes are up, post 220: