2020 Gear Post Mortem

Experience teaches like nothing else can, so what did you learn about your gear from actual hunting this season? List the season and conditions if they're relevant!

Montana, November, Deer/Elk/Waterfowl. Temps ranged from 10-60 degrees. No deep snow.

After 5 years I finally got to put my Kifaru to the test on an elk packout. The Reckoning and duplex frame handled 100 lbs superbly, although my legs can't handle uphill under such a heavy load. The only issue I encountered was a bit of numbness in my leg if I didn't take rests frequently enough. Need to investigate whether that is a belt issue, a pack adjustment issue, or just part of the territory when hauling heavy loads.

I need a window mount for my spotting scope. November is late enough that it makes sense to glass from the road before putting in a 3-4 mile hike up a snowy drainage. My mule deer was spotted from the road in the evening and I made a big hike the next morning to find him. Weird to be road hunting as it were, but with migrating animals, it made more sense than blasting deep into drainages every day.

Starbucks Via can be dumped straight onto your tongue and washed down with water from the drink bladder in desperate situations!

Jolly Ranchers will keep you from feeling parched when you're running short on water with a mile still to go to get elk meat to the truck.

10 gauges with Briley chokes are murder on geese at 40-50 yards. Thanks Grandpa for letting me borrow your goose gun!

My layering system is getting close to complete. I need a deep winter puffy, a mad bomber hat or something similar, some ski goggles, and some puffy pants still.

Hearing protection rocks! I committed to always putting in ear plugs before pulling the trigger and it worked fabulously. I used a neck band style by howard leight for rifle hunting, and a pair of active protection over ear muffs (Impact sport?) for bird hunting. Best decision of the year, and I didn't miss any shot opps due to the ear plugs.

Drenalin

WKR
I switched from a Havalon Piranta to a Tyto this year. Lost a blade in a pool of blood in one deer's chest cavity when I was reaching up to cut the windpipe. I wasn't prying or doing anything out of the ordinary with it, so I don't know why the blade came off. Fished it out without getting cut, but I'm going back to a fixed blade knife for everything.

I bought two BD Spot headlamps last year after the Petzl I had been using for 9 years cracked. One of the Spot headlamps is still going, the other magically stopped working on a hike in one morning. Replaced the batteries, looked it over for any obvious issues, but still don't know why it stopped. Going back to Petzl for 2021.

Being a whitetail guy, I've been under the impression for years that you need to hunt out of a tresstand to be successful. This year I ditched the stand and covered ground scouting and hunting. Filled four tags so far (2 bucks and 2 does) and I've got a month of season left if I want another couple of does. I won't be going back to the weight, bulk, hassle, and restrictiveness of a treestand.

All instant coffee sucks. I swear the cheap Folgers is better than the BRCC or Starbucks instant, but it still isn't good. I'm either going to carry a second cup and do pour-over (Kuju is good) or get some kind of press.

The KUIU Platypus bladder was a dud. The hose could stand to be a couple inches longer and it's a chore to suck water out the thing. Back to Camelbak for me.

I wasn't sure whether a quilt was going to be a good idea, but after using one this year from about 50 degrees down to high 20s, I am a believer. Mine was the EE Enigma Apex 20 degree model. Loved it.

The Kylmit Static V Lite pad is nice, except that's it's too narrow for me and about an inch too short (I'm 6 feet). Not the pad's fault I guess, but looking into other options and thinking I'll try Exped next.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I forgot to mention, I am sold on the Benchmade Bugout as my do all hunting knife. It handled elk skinning, quartering, and boning duties without any need for touch ups!

Mrvrsick

FNG
I switched from a Havalon Piranta to a Tyto this year. Lost a blade in a pool of blood in one deer's chest cavity when I was reaching up to cut the windpipe. I wasn't prying or doing anything out of the ordinary with it, so I don't know why the blade came off. Fished it out without getting cut, but I'm going back to a fixed blade knife for everything.

I bought two BD Spot headlamps last year after the Petzl I had been using for 9 years cracked. One of the Spot headlamps is still going, the other magically stopped working on a hike in one morning. Replaced the batteries, looked it over for any obvious issues, but still don't know why it stopped. Going back to Petzl for 2021.

Being a whitetail guy, I've been under the impression for years that you need to hunt out of a tresstand to be successful. This year I ditched the stand and covered ground scouting and hunting. Filled four tags so far (2 bucks and 2 does) and I've got a month of season left if I want another couple of does. I won't be going back to the weight, bulk, hassle, and restrictiveness of a treestand.

All instant coffee sucks. I swear the cheap Folgers is better than the BRCC or Starbucks instant, but it still isn't good. I'm either going to carry a second cup and do pour-over (Kuju is good) or get some kind of press.

The KUIU Platypus bladder was a dud. The hose could stand to be a couple inches longer and it's a chore to suck water out the thing. Back to Camelbak for me.

I wasn't sure whether a quilt was going to be a good idea, but after using one this year from about 50 degrees down to high 20s, I am a believer. Mine was the EE Enigma Apex 20 degree model. Loved it.

The Kylmit Static V Lite pad is nice, except that's it's too narrow for me and about an inch too short (I'm 6 feet). Not the pad's fault I guess, but looking into other options and thinking I'll try Exped next.
There's one instant coffee that I like, and it's medaglia d'oro. You can have it as an americano and it's good. Another option I've heard is that people will actually brew their favorite espresso at home, take it in a small bottle or pouch and then make an americano in the field. Can be a bottle like the size of gun oil container, or if you need a lot of espresso, a pouch like the ones some baby food comes in.

Also, the pad length thing usually isn't a problem for me as I try to sleep with stuff under my feet. For short overnight camping, I'll usually even just take a torso length pad.

snel6424

FNG

If you're interested in small portable coffee makers, check out the Aeropress Go. It doesn't really fit into the Ultralight scene, but it makes FANTASTIC coffee.

Also you might check out the Badlands bladder. They have a lifetime warranty and I have absolutely no problems with drinking through mine.

Beckjhong

WKR
Wyoming deer/antelope/elk Aug-Dec

Exo K3 4800: the hype is real. Bag works well for multi day or day hunts. Smart pocket layout, superb comfort. I was more comfortable at the end of my mule deer packout than at the beginning of last year’s packout at the beginning with a SO.

FHF bino harness and Razco holster: continues to perform. Stays out of the way, comfortable, does everything I need it to do. Pro tip: line the back of the holster otherwise you’ll rub through your outermost layer

Benchmade bugout: as mentioned above, awesome knife. Used with a KOA Yukon #2 and have no complaints. I do much of my hunting solo, and any scalpel blade is a recipe for disaster. I tested a havalon last year while butchering at home. Broke numerous blades and had one close call. Rule #4 is don’t chose stupid ways to die.

Peloton 97 top and bottom: I took Mtnwarden’s advice and picked these up. They are legit. Comfortable, move moisture well. My new go to.

Peloton 240: warm, blocks wind appropriately for an active piece. On a windy 30s day I was fine with a t shirt and this. It would have to be darn cold to layer over the 97 when moving though.

bsnedeker

WKR
Oh, I love these threads! Here are some of my thoughts on my gear:

1. I'm sick of snapping blades on my Tyto. I like the idea of replaceable blades in a knife for skinning and cleaning but I generally snap three of these damn things every time I get hunched up over an elk, the tinniest bit of torque and the things just snap at the weak point where the cutout is for the connection point. I'm going with an Outdoor Edge next season. My buddy has used one for years and he can easily get through an elk with one blade.

2. I got a Rambo e-bike this year....Game. Changer. I'm not going to say it's been all roses and candy (snapped the derailer hanger after a pretty good crash where I was loaded up with a couple of elk quarters and had to walk the damn thing back to the truck), but when it works it is a joy. Lessons learned this year will hopefully make next year even better. I can't wait to cruise logging roads during spring bear next season!.

3. Dan Durston X-Mid 1P tent. My first year with a trekking pole supported shelter. Overall I like the shelter. I love the weight and I love the vestibule space. That said, it's hard for me to get a perfect pitch with this thing in the field. If you don't have a nice flat spot to pitch it I have had a difficult time getting it taught. My bigger issue has to do with the way the liner is angled between the corners of the shelter. You have to really plan out where your head and feet will be before you pitch it out and if you get it wrong you basically have to start over from scratch...not fun in the dark after a hard day of hunting when you just want to eat some food and get to sleep. If I had it do over again I think I would have gone with the 2P tent. While there is a small weight penalty it would give you some wiggle room to slide to the left or right if you didn't pitch it in the perfect place.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Oh, I love these threads! Here are some of my thoughts on my gear:

1. I'm sick of snapping blades on my Tyto. I like the idea of replaceable blades in a knife for skinning and cleaning but I generally snap three of these damn things every time I get hunched up over an elk, the tinniest bit of torque and the things just snap at the weak point where the cutout is for the connection point. I'm going with an Outdoor Edge next season. My buddy has used one for years and he can easily get through an elk with one blade.
Dude, get you a real knife! There's lots of ultralight options these days. I'm partial to the Benchmade bugout because it's a folder, but there's lots of good fixed blades too.

bsnedeker

WKR
Dude, get you a real knife! There's lots of ultralight options these days. I'm partial to the Benchmade bugout because it's a folder, but there's lots of good fixed blades too.

I have a LOT of real knives...lol. It might seem counter-intuitive but I like disposable blades for cleaning/skinning game because I'm anal about blades being sharp when I'm working on an animal. I'd rather swap a blade out mid-job than try to finish a job where the blade is dulled half-way through, which has always been my experience using real knives. I'm probably not as careful avoiding hitting bone and cutting through hair as I should be so I've just never had a real knife make it through an elk or even a big-bodied deer without being dulled to the point I was not happy. On my cow this year I actually tried again because I was sick of snapping blades on my tyto and I dulled 2 knives on her...a cheap Mora and my old-school buck-folder.

I do carry a real-knife with me 24/7 whether I'm hunting or not and I keep that thing shaving-sharp, I just like disposables for working on game.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
3. Dan Durston X-Mid 1P tent. My first year with a trekking pole supported shelter. Overall I like the shelter. I love the weight and I love the vestibule space. That said, it's hard for me to get a perfect pitch with this thing in the field. If you don't have a nice flat spot to pitch it I have had a difficult time getting it taught. My bigger issue has to do with the way the liner is angled between the corners of the shelter. You have to really plan out where your head and feet will be before you pitch it out and if you get it wrong you basically have to start over from scratch...not fun in the dark after a hard day of hunting when you just want to eat some food and get to sleep. If I had it do over again I think I would have gone with the 2P tent. While there is a small weight penalty it would give you some wiggle room to slide to the left or right if you didn't pitch it in the perfect place.
I have both the X-Mid 1P and 2P and have found the exact same issue with the 1P. Too many instances of setting it up in the dark and then not having the inner lined up where I want. Didn't have that issue with the 2P as I could lay any way I want in there, but the larger footprint does make it harder to find a spot that'll accommodate it.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
You've tried it with some of the super steels like S30V, M390, M4, etc? I could still rough shave hair on my arm after boning out a bull elk with my benchmade.

bsnedeker

WKR
You've tried it with some of the super steels like S30V, M390, M4, etc? I could still rough shave hair on my arm after boning out a bull elk with my benchmade.
I have not, although I have a BM Arcane on my wishlist! I'm really intrigued by the S30V/S90V steels. I've got a pretty sweet sharpening setup which should be able to handle the S90V.