2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

mt100gr.

WKR
A good friend of mine has an '11 tundra that just rolled over 260k miles. I can honestly say that he runs his truck, on and off road, harder than anyone I know. If he has had any issues with it, I haven't heard about them.

His is stock and I have never been more impressed with a vehicle than when we crawled through a foot plus of new, wet snow up an already ugly jeep trail. The condition-specific traction control is pretty awesome. If it wasn't such a big vehicle, I know it would go a lot of places it probably shouldn't.

mt100gr.

WKR
Additionally, my father in law is a Ford guy. He owns 3 pickups and an explorer 05-'15. I have never seen more ridiculous bells and whistles and light-duty BS on a pick up. Not to mention the recalls. For the suburban grocery getter, I suppose they look OK....not my cup.

For the record, I drive a '99 Tahoe!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Close but once I get into a hunting unit I might move from one spot to another but I’m not doing anything a overland rig is needed.

I always set up a base camp in the unit I'm hunting, and then can head out to whatever part of the unit I want for a day, or for a few days, and set up a spike camp or carry camp on my back. That way I can cover an entire unit if need be or focus wherever I want.

The problem with a Ram 1500 or the Tundra is their size. There are a lot of 2-tracks and trails I've been on where those won't fit between the trees.

I really wish Toyota would make a bare bones original version of their Tacoma or their pre-Tacoma trucks. I don't need any bells and whistles, I don't need power windows or door locks, I don't need a navigation system or backup camera, I don't even need a radio. But I do need a manual transmission, and my shift-on-the-fly 4wd system has been flawless.

welpro222

WKR
Price and repair cost have kept me away from buying a newer vehicle. $2500-5000 to replace a transmission in newer vehicles is outrageous. My mechanic buddy had a customer that punctured his oil pan on a toyota tundra, it leaked the oil and blew the engine. Not covered under warrantee, he faced a $22k bill just for the engine from toyota. They found an engine at the scrap yard for $8k as is and had it delivered to the shop for install. My buddy checked it out and told him the engine was junk and he would not do the job.

I feel better knowing i have a vehicle I can repair myself, although newer vehicles have alot a cool features and way more power.

MtGomer

WKR
I think there would be a big market for a cab on a frame with an engine paired with a manual transmission.
No auto windows, auto dimming rear view mirror, cooled and heated steering wheel, cross traffic monitoring radar, rain detecting wipers, Siri sync system, the list of BS is endless.
A guy should be able to buy the TRD or the Rubicon off road features without having to have a fancy interior.
The only place this exists that i know of is that Ram let’s you put the power wagon package on the Tradesman trim.

archp625

WKR
I owned a 2007 Tundra SR5. Really loved the truck. Had a few issues but Toyota took care of them. Drove it to 162,000 miles. I wanted a new truck and couldn't justify the cost of the tundra for what you get. I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Ram 5.7 and love it. The interior is so much nicer than anything I looked at. I only have 10,000 miles on it so we shall see how she hold up. I went to Wyoming a few weeks ago and the 4wd did good in my books.

KurtR

WKR
Price and repair cost have kept me away from buying a newer vehicle. $2500-5000 to replace a transmission in newer vehicles is outrageous. My mechanic buddy had a customer that punctured his oil pan on a toyota tundra, it leaked the oil and blew the engine. Not covered under warrantee, he faced a $22k bill just for the engine from toyota. They found an engine at the scrap yard for $8k as is and had it delivered to the shop for install. My buddy checked it out and told him the engine was junk and he would not do the job.

I feel better knowing i have a vehicle I can repair myself, although newer vehicles have alot a cool features and way more power.

22 k what did he call joe Gibbs racing and want one of there motors. 8 k for a 5.7 from Toyota installed .

SWOHTR

WKR
I think there would be a big market for a cab on a frame with an engine paired with a manual transmission.
No auto windows, auto dimming rear view mirror, cooled and heated steering wheel, cross traffic monitoring radar, rain detecting wipers, Siri sync system, the list of BS is endless.

You mean a chassis cab fleet truck?

Completely agree either way. All the fancy stuff..meh.

I will never purchase a brand new truck because if it is flawless you will suffer with each and every dent, ding, scratch and chip of paint. I only buy used trucks so I can relax and treat em like the glorified wheelbarrels they are supposed to be, especially for off-road use and abuse. Plus I can think plenty of things I can buy with the $7,000.00 you instantly lose in depreciation the moment you leave the dealer's lot in your new truck. I bought this 2014 Ram online with 30000 miles on it for $3400. under KBB.

1a7c0b4bce37d5c76bcc8880c19eac79.gif-

With the savings I transformed this diesel Ram 1500 Laramie Limited 4X4 puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute. Stripped off the air bag suspension, badges and chrome, added a 6” BDS lift kits, custom wheels, 35” Toyo AT Xtreme tires, color matched Bushwhacker fender flares, color matched steel bumper, 12K winch, shackles front and rear, color matched grille, Powersteps (not shown), stubby antenna, Bedrug, BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover, Dee Zee tailgate assist, McGard tailgate lock, color matched side mirrors, handles, custom lights all around from Retroshop, window tinting, 360* camera surveillance system pretty, full recovery kit, pretty sure I’m forgetting other stuff.

IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG
BAKFlip MX4.jpg
IMG_1352.JPG

Buy a slightly used truck with some imperfections and dress it up/equip it your way. When you begin by imaging your "dream truck" and patiently shop around online, you will find the deal you want and having a vehicle transported across the country isn't very expensive. Just have it taken directly to your offroad shop so your wife doesn't see what you had done. <g>

Last edited:
I will never purchase a brand new truck because if it is flawless you will suffer with each and every dent, ding, scratch and chip of paint. I only buy used trucks so I can relax and treat em like the glorified wheelbarrels they are supposed to be, especially for off-road use and abuse. Plus I can think plenty of things I can buy with the $7,000.00 you instantly lose in depreciation the moment you leave the dealer's lot in your new truck. I bought this 2014 Ram online with 30000 miles on it for $3400. under KBB.

View attachment 126302-

With the savings I transformed this diesel Ram 1500 Laramie Limited 4X4 puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute. Stripped off the air bag suspension, badges and chrome, added a 6” BDS lift kits, custom wheels, 35” Toyo AT Xtreme tires, color matched Bushwhacker fender flares, color matched steel bumper, 12K winch, shackles front and rear, color matched grille, Powersteps (not shown), stubby antenna, Bedrug, BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover, Dee Zee tailgate assist, McGard tailgate lock, color matched side mirrors, handles, custom lights all around from Retroshop, window tinting, 360* camera surveillance system pretty, full recovery kit, pretty sure I’m forgetting other stuff.

View attachment 126303
View attachment 126304
View attachment 126305
View attachment 126306
View attachment 126307
View attachment 126308

Buy a slightly used truck with some imperfections and dress it up/equip it your way.

I agree 100%. I also bought in 2016 a used 2014 Ram 5.7 with 36k. Got a huge discount on it. Added a 2.5” level, added Cooper AT3’s kept the stock size though added a step for my wife,bed rug, and Undercover folding tonneau.

This is a picture of it elk hunting in Colorado last Month
f3e1f8741f91da2d2ef06733e7604251.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Totally happy with my 19 Ram 1500. Coming from 16 years with my flawless 03 Silverado, I went in looking at another one. But overall, they just didn't appeal to me. Looked at F150 but seeing several accounts of engine issues I stayed away. Toyota was just too proud of their truck and they priced them accordingly. So the Ram won out. Hemi, 8 spd, 4x4, leather, seat heating/cooling, skid plates, e-locker, traction control, Alpine stereo with 8" touchscreen, great fit and finish, knocks down 21 mpg on the hwy. Has way more than I expected to get for the money I wanted to spend. I paid 35,450, no other brand would get within 15K of that price for the same feature set.
What I will say since you plan on some serious mods, the aftermarket isn't quite there yet. BDS makes a 4 and 6 inch lift; there are some lesser quality lifts available as well from various manufacturers. Mopar makes a great lift with Fox shocks but it is only 2". The nice part though is that 2" lift will run 35's with some minimal inner fender liner clearance, depending on wheel offset. Haven't seen many bumpers. A Canadian company is making a hidden winch mount that looks very nice.

Hey guys and girls,

I am needing some input from some individuals who own either of these vehicles. Unfortunately after this last hunting season and practically living out of my ‘18 TRDPRO Tacoma Overland rig for 2 straight weeks on Colorado OTC units for Archery Elk. The idea of a Overlander has pretty much been killed off for a more utilitarian type vehicle with a more specific purpose. I realized I don’t need a Tacoma size nor it’s utter let down of power and capabilities. To be quiet honest I’m very dissatisfied with Toyota Tacoma. After owning a ‘88 Toyota PU with a 22R, a Gen 1 ‘03, a Gen 2 ‘11 and now this ‘18 TRDPRO.

I can honestly say after a combined approximate 980k miles on all my Toyota’s, Toyota has got lazy, relaxed off of their lore and is truly not bringing their best in terms of one of if not their most trademark vehicle. So with that being said I had a 2013 Ram 1500 that I put 77k miles on it with zero issues but I wonder about its longevity. I also know a ton of people who drive the Tundra but swear the fuel mileage will make you cringe.

This will be almost all mountain use, won’t be my daily driver as I have a company vehicle. It’s intent and final build will have a minor coil over lift roughly 4” or so. 35” ish tires, and then a slew of other custom add ons. Such as bumpers, bed rack, winch, Decked system and a few others. The goal is to achieve a vehicle perfect for my application. Pretty much hopping from one Rocky Mountain state to the other hunting, road trips, scouting and living out of....well hauling a off-road specific tear drop trailer when I want to not sleep in a tent.

Could anyone give me some input as to what they like, dislike or would be aware of on either of these vehicles? I’m doing a ton of homework, literature, YouTube videos, online reviews, etc. However it does not hurt to ask other fellow hunters opinion on these vehicles.

What I initially like is just how feature rich and comfortable the Ram is. However one thing I will not take away from Toyota is it’s sheer reliability and longevity. However I know the Tacoma inside and out, I don’t know if the Tundra will disappoint me like the Tacoma has.

Specifics of the vehicles are:

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 with Sport Package and 5.7 Hemi(No E Torque shenanigans)

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 with 5.7 I-Force

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

I have a ‘16 tundra TRD. I love that truck. It has plenty of power. We also have a Tacoma. And it definitely doesn’t have near the power of the tundra-but that is our little mountain truck. It’s maneuverable and ultra reliable.
I personally don’t care about bells and whistles all that much. It has the backup camera (that’s nice when the bed is piled high with gear) and electric windows, heat, ac, and a couple of extras but it’s not Uber fancy. I also have the decked system and that thing is money-especially during hunting season. Obviously it’s bigger than the Tacoma so it can be a tight squeeze on some of the mountain roads-think memory stripes. But I bought it to use it as a truck. I don’t want to completely destroy it but I don’t mind getting it scratched. I put 275-70’s falken Wild peak at’s tires on it. They’re the biggest you can put without modifications. There’s a few more things I’d do but overall I think it’s a good truck.

Yote Klr

FNG
In March I sold my 5.7 Hemi '08 Laramie. It had 240,000 miles on it, I really don't know how long it would have lasted but I was not having to dump any money into it yet.

Bought a 2016 sport 5.7 Hemi.

I believe if you are halfway mechanically minded and keep up maintenance on a truck it'll last.

In March I sold my 5.7 Hemi '08 Laramie. It had 240,000 miles on it, I really don't know how long it would have lasted but I was not having to dump any money into it yet.

I believe if you are halfway mechanically minded and keep up maintenance on a truck it'll last.

Agreed, my previous Ram had over 170K on it after 15 years, never let me down, always got me home.

camera 027.jpg
0610or_01_z+Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_Hemi_Challenger+sand_front_view.jpg
RONDY3.jpg

LightFoot

WKR
I think all the new full-size trucks are good. The competition among the brands have forced them to be. I also agree with a previous comment about the Tundra being behind the others (my words) as far as innovation. However, there is no doubt they make a great product.

All that being said, I am just left a F150 5.0 4x4 to go to the Ram 1500 5.7 4x4. Right now I think the Ram has the best interior and features for the money.
4f49fd9317f5dbcf9161cf6822bf6113.jpg

Jake
-Katy, TX

FLAK

WKR
I'm kinda in the same boat. Have an 06 Tundra with 230K, needs brakes, rotors, drums, tires, oil leak fixed, radiator flush, reupholstered, etc..... Hate to put money into a truck that old.
Then I go look at new ones and they're just stupid HIGH$$$$$.
Big time dilemma.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR

I think your absolutely right however on the maintenance. I think this is why my fathers Rams have always treated him well, as a master mechanic he is always making sure everything is top notch condition. As much as I believe there still is some validity to Toyota’s legendary reliability. I think with proper maintenance and taking care of your ride. I’m sure the other brands can get you well into the high 200k mileage.

That being said I will definitely do my homework on both vehicles but I’m still leaning towards a new Ram. On those long drives my 2013 Ram was so comfortable.

My Ram was in the shop for weeks after this bad day:

I rented a Ford 150 during repairs and I swear that damn truck ruined my back. The Ram has adjustable lumbar among many other comforts lacking in the Fords. On those long drives outta state to hunt, you appreciate the Ram's interior. It's like a luxury sedan.

cf21e17ec12b74365212e4954d06a1fd.gif