2020 WY elk

jofes

WKR
Looking at the bighorns and ill have 6 points in 2020, if im reading this years draw odds right, with point creep i need 2 more years before I will be guaranteed a tag in any of those units type 1 Reg price.

I cant decide if I should dump them in the General next year or wait out the bighorns. Most folks say to just hunt more and I'm thinking thats the way to go, by the time I draw I'll already be getting ready to draw the General again. The only detail that may set my decision apart from others is i'm 24 and have some time on my hands.

What say you? Go hunting or wait?

P.S. id be happy with any raghorn.

P.P.S. please don't post any unit #'s or specifics in this thread, thanks.

Whip

WKR
Also keep in mind point creep is real. If you were two points away from having a chance to draw this year it will most likely take more than two years to reach the top of the pile.
Study past years results as well. How many points did the unit take to draw two and three years ago?
WY breaks down how many applicants in each point pool applied. Look at how many were in front of you and in your same point pool and divide by the number of tags available. Then figure in the fact that many people just put in for points only and don't even apply for a unit until they know they have enough to draw.
At your age you will draw eventually. But it may be a lot longer than you think. You could hunt general at least twice in the time it will take you to get that tag.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
I'm 1 point behind drawing in 19 so in 21/22 I should be caught up if the trend holds unless i'm doing the math wrong?

Wyoming general is going to start having some major creep soon. Many guys going that direction.

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
Being 24 I’d hold out. But man that general tag in Wyoming is still a great tag. I’m almost 40 and I’ll take the General all day long in Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im waiting for a limited entry. in the meanwhile im hunting otc elk in other states and planning a breaks archery hunt in montana. ill peobably have another deer hunt in the area i plan on going so ill have some fresh intel on the best areas to key in on once i draw. wyoming general is still a great tag

I would wait it out. You can buy a cow tag OTC and hunt the unit you want to. Just to get the lay of the land so to speak. Plus get some great meat

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't burn 6 pp on a general tag. I'd rather hunt Colorado, Idaho, or possibly a late season cow tag before I'd do that.

Wyoming general is a great tag but since you have already invested 6 years into going for the bighorns I would wait until you get that tag. You also still have a chance at drawing it this year or next. Then after that i might would consider the general to hunt more often. But you could always use idaho and colorado for you hunt often state and make wyoming a mid strategy state and hunt there every 5 to 8 years.

Wyoming general is a great tag but since you have already invested 6 years into going for the bighorns I would wait until you get that tag. You also still have a chance at drawing it this year or next. Then after that i might would consider the general to hunt more often. But you could always use idaho and colorado for you hunt often state and make wyoming a mid strategy state and hunt there every 5 to 8 years.

This strategy is fading. A general tag could take 4-5 years pretty fast and the lower tier units are creeping up on 8-10 years. So many guys think the general option will allow them to hunt every few years and I don’t think that will be happening anymore.

You are 5-7 years out to be honest. . . Unless you get lucky. I've been putting in for a unit for 4 years that if you go by the prior years data I should be 100% to draw. . . But in swoop others and it stays one point out of reach always.

And it is a marginal unit!!! (If there is such a thing in Wyoming!)

Best advice if you like elk hunting. . . Start buying points in as many states as you can. It won't be long and Idaho and Colorado will think about caps, and points will matter greatly! Wyo general tags are going to be 4-5 year waits and I won't be surprised if in 4 years Idaho is draw only at the rate they are going.

Last edited:
You are 5-7 years out to be honest. . . Unless you get lucky. I've been putting in for a unit for 4 years that if you go by the prior years data I should be 100% to draw. . . But in swoop others and it stays one point out of reach always.

And it is a marginal unit!!! (If there is such a thing in Wyoming!)

Best advice if you like elk hunting. . . Start buying points in as many states as you can. It won't be long and Idaho and Colorado will think about caps, and points will matter greatly! Wyo general tags are going to be 4-5 year waits and I won't be surprised if in 4 years Idaho is draw only at the rate they are going.

I just put a deposit down with an outfitter in WY for a 2020 hunt who told me that with the 1 preference point that I just bought, that I am almost 100% to draw a general tag for 2020 in the special draw. Where are you getting "4-5 years for a general tag" from?

KHNC

WKR
I just put a deposit down with an outfitter in WY for a 2020 hunt who told me that with the 1 preference point that I just bought, that I am almost 100% to draw a general tag for 2020 in the special draw. Where are you getting "4-5 years for a general tag" from?
No way that will happen unless you are VERY lucky. The special will get you an extra point but it still will take at least 2 or 3 with special to draw. Odds are super low with 1 and special still.

No way that will happen unless you are VERY lucky. The special will get you an extra point but it still will take at least 2 or 3 with special to draw. Odds are super low with 1 and special still.

OK......why would the outfitter say we are going to draw and deal with us? Waste of everyone's time if that is true.

KHNC

WKR
OK......why would the outfitter say we are going to draw and deal with us? Waste of everyone's time if that is true.
Once he gets your money, he will have it until you draw! Probably will make you roll it over to 2021 when you dont draw. But, if you check the odds on WY G&F , you can see the odds are super low for a 1 pt draw. Plus i know from personal experience how hard its getting to draw a Gen Elk , even with Special.