2023 Colorado Secondary Draw Results

NICKJ

WKR
I understand why people are upset but I figure if they make the rules, we just have to play by them.

Got my son a deer tag. Excited for his first mule deer hunt

I understand why people are upset but I figure if they make the rules, we just have to play by them.

Got my son a deer tag. Excited for his first mule deer hunt

Good for you guys and I hope he has a great hunt. I don’t understand people and their need to complain. Sure CO probably could make improvements to their hunting programs and game management but if you want to hunt CO it is the easiest western state to get a elk or deer tag. There are draw units that can be had for zero points on up then you have a secondary draw and even with the Youth preference many of the tags go to adults, plus the turned in/left over list and finally OTC for elk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

KsRancher

WKR
Nice, didn't look at overall. What's the breakdown of west of I-25 tags vs plains tags? That might paint a different picture.
You could break it down anyway you want to make it fit any talking point. But at the end of all of that resident adults got 61% and resident youth got 27% of the tags for a total of 88% going to residents. So with that I would think that Colorado residents couldn't be happier

ColoradoV

WKR
There were very good licenses where nr youth drew 100% of the tags…. CPW screwing over resident kids again!!!

Even the CPW folks I have talked with agree it is unacceptable to have resident youth draw 0% of the licenses in some of the best deer hunts as that was not the intent when the draw was out in place. They are aware a change is needed…

Or it is totally unreasonable and unacceptable for residents to draw 0% of the licenses…. The 75-25% or 80-20 - by unit - change for all licenses is in the works and there will still be great opportunities as pointed out for doe and east plains hunts for nr.

It is a needed and good change that will keep the draw fair for all youth.

You could break it down anyway you want to make it fit any talking point. But at the end of all of that resident adults got 61% and resident youth got 27% of the tags for a total of 88% going to residents. So with that I would think that Colorado residents couldn't be happier
But non-resident youth took the 12% of tags that all the residents wanted…..

Or at least I’m sure that’s how someone on here will spin it.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Non residents are given X amount of tags for each unit in the primary draw. Let’s say for one hunt code 8 NR and 3 res tags were turned in. So in reality, to keep the split as it was intended in the primary draw, those 8 tags should go back to NR and the 3 back to res. Maybe they should separate the tags when turned back in and have two separate secondary draws, one for res and one for NR. Then do the same for reissue. Have a NR reissue list and a Res reissue list. Put the tags back in the pockets where they came from.

Fatcamp

WKR
Non residents are given X amount of tags for each unit in the primary draw. Let’s say for one hunt code 8 NR and 3 res tags were turned in. So in reality, to keep the split as it was intended in the primary draw, those 8 tags should go back to NR and the 3 back to res. Maybe they should separate the tags when turned back in and have two separate secondary draws, one for res and one for NR. Then do the same for reissue. Have a NR reissue list and a Res reissue list. Put the tags back in the pockets where they came from.

I don't understand why they don't go to the people who initially applied for that specific tag.?.?.?

Some random nonresident kid has preference over someone who applied with preference points in the first draw? Goofy.

sndmn11

WKR

It's possible that residents picked up hunt codes that they know can be fruitful, but on paper aren't attractive enough for NR to want to apply for.

I think the annoyance with it is when people draw a hunt code they know nothing about, in front of the people who have and do put in months of effort to learn, and then those people ask for info about the hunt code. There's a few threads in both elk and deer of, "I/my kid drew X in the secondary, never been there, what do we do?". That stereotype can fit anyone, but whether a biased view or not, I think gets applied to NR. I also think that gets magnified for youth because parents think it should take a village to help their kid hunt, and they aren't shy about showing off what was drawn before the hunt or what was shot after.

I think the resulting perspective is close to, "gosh, I competed against you for a hunt code you put no effort into, and now you want to showcase that hunt code on the line. You stuck it to me present and future."

This is also why I think they should only allow a person to buy a hunt code they applied for in the primary draw. If you don't feel comfortable enough with a hunt code to say up front it is 1/4 you would hunt, you shouldn't take that from someone who would.

I am a-ok seeing youth draw hunt codes, but I doubt many parents are in it for the kid's more than their own happiness.

Last edited:

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I don't understand why they don't go to the people who initially applied for that specific tag.?.?.?

Some random nonresident kid has preference over someone who applied with preference points in the first draw? Goofy.
They do when the tag takes 5 or more resident PP’s.