2023 Montana Elk draw unexpected outcomes

I thought I would post this for those who had a draw outcome that maybe had you scratching your head as did the outcome of my party.

This is not a complaint its more of a observation and a question. I entered the draw with two other hunters to our party. Myself and one friend entered with 2 PP and the third guy with one point. We did not choose to attempt to get a permit. It was my assumption that by entering as a group we would either all draw or none of us would draw but that's not what happened. Initially on Monday afternoon I thought our group didn't draw but wasn't totally sure as things still said Pending. But it turned out Myself and the second hunter in our group who also had 2 points drew and the third guy with one point did not draw. The two of us who drew were really thankful to have drawn so we aren't unhappy for sure but again this was an unexpected outcome for sure. I know their are other groups who experienced this as well and with the Official Montana draw thread so large I felt this situation and possibly other draw issues might be better answered in a separate thread. So does anyone know if our parties issue is common or was this a draw error?

bsnedeker

WKR
Apparently party applications are only considered during the first run for combo tags. Once those are finished and they start processing the released tags the party stuff goes out the window.

Pretty dumb way to do it, but it's FWP.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

cfdjay

WKR
That's gonna be a tough one for parties of 2 leaving someone to hunt solo if at all.

bsnedeker

WKR
You can always take the hit and return the tag for an 80% refund. Sucks to be out that 20% though.

OP
Roughwater
Apparently party applications are only considered during the first run for combo tags. Once those are finished and they start processing the released tags the party stuff goes out the window.

Pretty dumb way to do it, but it's FWP.

I prefer that to not getting a tag but for someone entering as a family group etc it could kinda ruin the party so to speak if a vital person in that group gets unexpectedly cut.

OP
Roughwater
I was referring to if you turned them back in. You prob still lose your points
I don't want to instantly feel like they are so hard hearted. I see it more so as a programming error but I could certainly be wrong. They don't go in and hand pick who goes where, it's all part of a program and I feel like it probably wasn't intended to work quite the way it does. They may be aware of the glitch but it probably doesn't happen that often so easier to overlook it than fix it.

UncleBone

WKR
Worst case, all 3 of you go, your buddy keeps his point, and you can all go on a 2 or 3 pt hunt in a few years again together. Id be bummed I didnt get a tag, but at the same time, wouldnt turn down the opportunity to go on a trip with my hunting buds, and hopefully pack out some elk.

OP
Roughwater
Worst case, all 3 of you go, your buddy keeps his point, and you can all go on a 2 or 3 pt hunt in a few years again together. Id be bummed I didnt get a tag, but at the same time, wouldnt turn down the opportunity to go on a trip with my hunting buds, and hopefully pack out some elk.
Actually the guy who did't draw still wants to go without a tag and hike around and help us pack out if needed.
Of course we were fine with it.

UncleBone

WKR
Actually the guy who did't draw still wants to go without a tag and hike around and help us pack out if needed.
Of course we were fine with it.
As long as he is a good camp mate, it can only be a bonus. He can carry more stuff since he wont have a rifle or bow. And if he is a good hunter, could split up and scout for you. Sounds like you guys have it figured out pretty well though. Good luck on your hunt!!

cball

FNG
Has anyone before yesterday seen or read anything about an immediate 2nd drawing for released tags, i was told before applying, we applied as a party for the big game combo only no permits that we would get 100% refund minus application fees nothing about this released tag crap and only 80% thats for people who didnt draw a permit. I have never saw anything online or in print about released tags.

bsnedeker

WKR
Has anyone before yesterday seen or read anything about an immediate 2nd drawing for released tags, i was told before applying, we applied as a party for the big game combo only no permits that we would get 100% refund minus application fees nothing about this released tag crap and only 80% thats for people who didnt draw a permit. I have never saw anything online or in print about released tags.
Released tags have been a thing forever. This year is the first year I've ever heard people complaining about it messing up party's, so I wonder if they changed something this year for some reason.