2023 Montana Elk draw unexpected outcomes

Kopmana

FNG
My dad and I both put in individually for the some of the reasons mentioned here. We both drew with zero pref points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just think, Hypothetically speaking, if 100% of all nonresident combo tag applicants got together and said, they would never again buy a preference point for Montana general deer/ elk combo tag application, after 1 or 2 application cycles the nonresident combo tag draw would end up being completely random for all applicants, because every applicant would be at zero points. But, Montana would take in millions of $$ less in preference point revenue each year..

Montana's nonresident general deer/elk combo preference point system is the most interesting/complex of all states. Its the only state that awards points prior to the draw being run. This systems makes way more money from point purchases that would otherwise be a lot less, for example, if unsuccessful applicants were the only ones that could gain a point after the draw was run, or if you didn't apply that year, and bought one in the summer. Nobody wants to be the unlucky one, so we all get points while applying, and they are good that very same draw. Its the only state where a new person off the street the day before, can go into the draw with 1 pt.

After reading this forum, I find out more.... Montana is the only state that awards general combo tags to some applicants with lower preference points before those with higher points in the preference point part of the draw.....? These are PREFERENCE points not BONUS points. There's more, its the only state where you and your hunting partner can apply carefully in a group together for a general combo tag, and he or she draws, and you don't!? What is the point of the group then? Oh yeah, and if your not confused yet, they say that 25% of all the general nonresident combo tags will be issued in a random draw, and one's logic would think that this applies to all applicants, even those who were unsuccessful in the preference point draw, but.... I found out the hard way last year.. NO, in fact the random draw is only for those who save themselves the $100 and apply with zero points!

The way this preference point system works, the guy who is only interested in a special permit hunt area, effectively only gets in the permit draw once every 2 or 3 years when he finally draws a combo. Each year he pays $100 for a preference point, or loses one if he forgets to apply, and also loses it on the years he draws the combo and takes the automatic 80% refund because he didn't draw a special permit. This begs to question if your better off in the random draw always if this describes your application style?

Montana, if your listening, you could just make your nonresident deer/elk special permits a separate drawing with their own tag quotas etc. This would solve all the problems caused by permit applicants automatically turning back their general combos for a 80% refund, and triggering another draw that allocates tags to half the people in groups, groups with 1.5pts, over those with 2pts, and all the other issues people on his thread are explaining.

Now it may sound like I'm complaining, but I am definitely not, its more amusing to me than anything, and I wrote this to hopefully raise awareness to how difficult it is to plan a hunt in Montana now days. I was lucky this year, and drew a tag with 2pts in a group with my brother, and am thankful for the opportunity to hunt Montana again. It has been one of my favorite places to hunt over the years, I only wish they would fix their screwy nonresident draw system.

OP
Roughwater
As difficult and expensive and complicated as it is, Montana is my favorite place to hunt elk but I haven't been to NM yet but have been to Colorado, Utah and Idaho.

bsnedeker

WKR
Montana, if your listening, you could just make your nonresident deer/elk special permits a separate drawing with their own tag quotas etc. This would solve all the problems caused by permit applicants automatically turning back their general combos for a 80% refund, and triggering another draw that allocates tags to half the people in groups, groups with 1.5pts, over those with 2pts, and all the other issues people on his thread are explaining.

Montana does not have any pool of permits for NRs so this wouldn't work. NRs have a cap at 10% of any LE permits, but we don't promise that any NRs will get any permits, it's just a maximum number.

You are correct though, if all of you NRs stopped buying preference points things would be a lot simpler. But you won't do that of course so keep on "not complaining".

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Whip

WKR
A buddy of mine has this result showing on his account. Any idea why it would first say successful under pending results and then unsuccessful for the General Elk Combo?

Attachments

• 20230422_134151.jpg
    20230422_134151.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 75

Whip

WKR
Your buddy successfully drew the elk combo. The brown letters is the category, not the results.
Ahhh! That makes sense. I guess our reading comprehension skills need a little work. But he's a happy boy now, so that's all that matters.
Thanks!

No different than the bonus point system, lots of people with less points than me drew tags, its the way a lottery works

Dude my buddy drew a 380 tag last year with five points. Another buddy with max points and i with 16 points put in for the same tag. Nothing Friggin crazy how our system works.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody that had their party get split up and one member getting a tag can now return it for a full refund and points restored.They are now admitting it was a draw error.I wish they would have done this sooner but it's a relief to know we won't have to worry about this next year.

fatlander

WKR
I still wonder how many of those who purchased an outfitter point didn’t draw with two points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk