2024-2025 Malay gap rifle elk San Carlos Apache

Piercecounty2018

Lil-Rokslider
Drew the 2024-25 rifle Malay gap. Hoping to hear input on if a guide is needed/recommended/worth it.

Open to any overall input on the hunt for those who have done it.

Last edited:

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Almost every year there are left over Malay Gap rifle tags…….there was ~20 last year, of which, a buddy of mine snatched one up. It’s a very remote (one road in and out, and those roads can be nasty if there is moisture) and the vegetation is very thick. Good guides do well, but most DIY guys struggle. One guide told me it’s a 10% success tag usually with about 5 -7 harvests out of the 50 tags. I did not validate but when I called myself seeking more info, I was told again that it was a tough hunt and to “chose a good guide”. If you google search it, you can read some historical reports that says the same. With that said, my buddy hired one of the better guides this year, and shot the first bull they saw, and it was a ~330” class bull, but had a g1 missing on one side and a royal broken on the other, so it obviously didn’t score to its potential, but something I would have been very happy with!

The archery hunt is a whole different hunt and it’s pretty productive during the rut. Another thing that makes the rifle hunt tough is the fact that the Rez OTC hunt in Malay takes place in Dec, just before the Non-tribal rifle hunt. Should be an experience though, and there are some good bulls in their, albeit they are really tough to get on.

OP
Piercecounty2018

Piercecounty2018

Lil-Rokslider
Almost every year there are left over Malay Gap rifle tags…….there was ~20 last year, of which, a buddy of mine snatched one up. It’s a very remote (one road in and out, and those roads can be nasty if there is moisture) and the vegetation is very thick. Good guides do well, but most DIY guys struggle. One guide told me it’s a 10% success tag usually with about 5 -7 harvests out of the 50 tags. I did not validate but when I called myself seeking more info, I was told again that it was a tough hunt and to “chose a good guide”. If you google search it, you can read some historical reports that says the same. With that said, my buddy hired one of the better guides this year, and shot the first bull they saw, and it was a ~330” class bull, but had a g1 missing on one side and a royal broken on the other, so it obviously didn’t score to its potential, but something I would have been very happy with!

The archery hunt is a whole different hunt and it’s pretty productive during the rut. Another thing that makes the rifle hunt tough is the fact that the Rez OTC hunt in Malay takes place in Dec, just before the Non-tribal rifle hunt. Should be an experience though, and there are some good bulls in their, albeit they are really tough to get on.
Hearing about leftover tags make me wonder on the value of the tag. Or if it’s guys who get gunshy on the price and just don’t buy before the deadline. We are given 2 days to purchase the tag for a whopping $4700.

I imagine guides are anywhere from $250-$1000 a day which is expected. As far as size, 300+ is the baseline goal

Last edited:

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
The really good guide I know is $3,500. So it’s an expensive hunt. Best of luck to those making the adventure.

Would love to hear first hand from someone that did a DIY there (first hint in the unit).

Last edited:

So, you can just buy a left over tag? When do those become available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, most years. Tags are $4,700 apparently. Can not guaranty a tag w/o drawing it though.

OP
Piercecounty2018

Piercecounty2018

Lil-Rokslider
The really good guide I know is $3,500. So it’s an expensive hunt. Best of luck to those making the adventure.

Would love to hear first hand from someone that did a DIY there (first hint in the unit).
Spoke two a handful of reuputal and recommended guides so far. $4500-$5500 guided 5 day hunt (not outfitted).

So, apparently I drew the Sept 3-18 Malay Gap archery hunt and the Malay Gap Tifle hunt. I just got a random phone call and was informed by a young lady. To be honest, I'm not convinced it's not some sort of scam. Didn't seem very formal, and I've received nothing electronically....even though that's how I applied. Anyhow, anybody else receive their notice in a similar fashion?

OP
Piercecounty2018

Piercecounty2018

Lil-Rokslider
Notice given via email for first and second drawing. You can always contact the office and confirm if you are wary of if/what you drew.

So I just verified I did indeed draw both the Malay Gap Archery Sept 3-18 and the Malay Gap rifle. I'm really just a bow hunter, so I'm leaning heavily that way. Anybody have any first hand knowledge or have any friends with first hand knowledge of archery hunting the Malay Gap? I'm also a DIY guy, and most def would prefer that over being guided but i want to gather good info b4 I commit one way or the other. Things like area accessibility, closest grocery stores, closest hotel, etc.... Thanks for any insight.