.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tikka?

I haven't started loading for my 20" Tikka yet, as I have a solid stash of 77TMK ammo from Unknown. But I have a few pounds of XBR and some TMKs when the time comes. Just taking notes at this point.
Yes. I plan to load a hand full at 23.6 and see how they group. The 5 shot ladder I did went in a 1.5 minute group.

Laramie

WKR
I have honestly ignored this thread as I assumed it was a lot of people arguing. Decided to read it today since I had little to do watching the clock.

Some pretty compelling evidence in the thread. Honestly a bit surprising but I have seen a few deer taken with a .223. The results were just ok but they were shot with standard factory soft points.

I do really hope that this thread doesn't lead to inexperienced hunters choosing the .223 and 77TMK without intimate knowledge of their guns, their intended game, state regulations, and a ton of practice. This combination would be illegal for use for larger species in many states for a reason. The average joe doesn't shoot that well and isn't very disciplined.

That said, I have a more open mind now than I did in the past due to this thread. I won't be taking a .223 deer hunting anytime soon but I think I'll try the 77s on some predators this winter.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have honestly ignored this thread as I assumed it was a lot of people arguing. Decided to read it today since I had little to do watching the clock.

Some pretty compelling evidence in the thread. Honestly a bit surprising but I have seen a few deer taken with a .223. The results were just ok but they were shot with standard factory soft points.

I do really hope that this thread doesn't lead to inexperienced hunters choosing the .223 and 77TMK without intimate knowledge of their guns, their intended game, state regulations, and a ton of practice. This combination would be illegal for use for larger species in many states for a reason. The average joe doesn't shoot that well and isn't very disciplined.

That said, I have a more open mind now than I did in the past due to this thread. I won't be taking a .223 deer hunting anytime soon but I think I'll try the 77s on some predators this winter.
While I would have totally agreed with this prior to trying them, I can honestly say that there is not a shot under 400 yards I’d take on a deer with my old 300, that I wouldn’t take with my 223 and 77tmk combo. Atleast from what I have personally seen so far

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
While I would have totally agreed with this prior to trying them, I can honestly say that there is not a shot under 400 yards I’d take on a deer with my old 300, that I wouldn’t take with my 223 and 77tmk combo. Atleast from what I have personally seen so far
That's a big statement!
I have learned some things from this thread.
The only negative I have is this may contribute to the near impossibility to find this particular bullet, but oh well!

tracker12

WKR
“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
🙄all I have to say

260madman

WKR
Don’t worry, he won’t read about the moose and elk in here. It’s all hocus pocus fairy dust.

Those people probably shouldn’t be shooting at any animals, regardless of bullet/caliber selection.

Those people probably shouldn’t be shooting at any animals, regardless of bullet/caliber selection.

Probably shouldn't but lets be honest... Over half of the hunters in this country know nothing about this stuff. They have a rifle of chambering they believe to be adequate, they buy ammo they can find for that cartridge, they make sure it's sighted to hit animal vitals at 100, and it's ready to hunt. None of this enters into their mind and frankly that works just fine most of the time.

Laramie

WKR
There are a lot of people in the field yearly who shouldn't be shooting at animals. It seems yearly I have to explain to someone who bought a new rifle that bore sighting isn't good enough to take hunting. There are a lot of people in the field yearly who really don't have a clue. Then there are another decent percentage of people who know enough to do ok but they are by no means at a point where they should be using a marginal caliber. I personally believe that most hunters fall into this second category.

From what I have read in this thread by those promoting it, the caliber and bullet combination can be very effective, even up to a moose sized animal- IF the hunter understands the limitations of the cartridge and is taking responsible shots.

The average rookie may not take the time to ready every post here- he may scroll through, see pictures of devastation on a pile of deer and even a moose leg bone that was shattered, and have it in his head he is carrying the most powerful option there is. My original comment was referring to this scenario.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From what I have read in this thread by those promoting it, the caliber and bullet combination can be very effective, even up to a moose sized animal- IF the hunter understands the limitations of the cartridge and is taking responsible shots.

What exactly is the limitation with it in comparison to any standard chamberings? Please be specific, I.E.- range, penetration depth, physiological damage, etc.

The average rookie may not take the time to ready every post here- he may scroll through, see pictures of devastation on a pile of deer and even a moose leg bone that was shattered, and have it in his head he is carrying the most powerful option there is.

What difference does that make what cartridge that person is using or looking at?