2500 Gas or diesel ...

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All, I am looking to upgrade from a 1500 (Silverado) to 2500 (Silverado, Ram, or maybe Ford) Since I pull a tow hauler and it is a bit heavy for my 1500.

I was curious if it is really worth the extra upfront cost and maintenance for the diesel. I dont plan on towing more than 12 trips a year. But I would like the extra power up the hills and passes in Colorado.

Appreciate the feedback. Good luck with your hunts this year.

Luked

WKR
worked at a car dealer for 11 years. To me if your not pulling heavy loads a lot i dont think the Diesel is really worth the extra cost. they do have tons more power and torque but for the added cost then if repairs are needed and so on i dont think its worth it.
my brother is a construction worker and has a 1 ton dually chevy with the 6.0L and his will do anything he needs. his boss has the same truck with a duramax. sure the diesel pulls better with their heavy loads but his bosses truck has been in the shop a few times and its huge dollars to get it fixed.

mntnguide

WKR
IMO a diesel is the only way to go if you are stepping up to a 3/4+ ton. .if you take care of it, it will last you as long as you need it. ..I don't see the point in going gas if you want a 250 or above. . You could look into the ecodiesels as well as an option. .but once you go diesel you won't go back

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If its power then it's no contest deisel wins. The new factory Exhaust breaks make a big difference going down hill also.

No matter how much weight you pull the heavier the truck the safer.

I have the biggest diesel dog taxi around! :D
I tow heavy maybe once a year. The rest of the time my 2008 F350 6.4 diesel hauls dogs, hunting gear, people, etc. I love diesels for the power when you need it. I am lucky enough to have a Jeep Wrangler as my daily driver, so the diesel gets pulled out for trips, hauling, etc. I only put about 7-10k miles on it a year so my maintenance costs are very low. With the price of trucks these days, there is no way I could get into a better truck for the money. I would NEVER buy new. If you shop around for a good used truck, you can get a good deal......diesel or gas.

OP
C

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the quick replies here. Definitely wont be buying new...cant afford that.

Still open to more feedback but looks like I will be looking for a used diesel for 30k-40K

Also Have my 2012 Silverado 1500 Z71 with Fabtech lift for sale 80,000 miles

Grumman

WKR
If you are looking for a newer used one with 30-40k miles you should be fine in a diesel. Just be wary of used ones with higher miles that could have been ragged on via programmers etc. I drive a diesel and I love it but have some friends who have had to drop major bucks on repairs. An injector job can cost as much as a new gas engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Based on the cost of repairs that my buddy dropped on his diesel, I would never own one. $7000+ for injectors, etc.

OP
C

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know how much better a 2500 gas will tow over a 1500 ? is it pretty noticeable?

Does anyone know how much better a 2500 gas will tow over a 1500 ? is it pretty noticeable?

It will tow significantly better. Not so much because of power, but because the weight of the truck, stiffer springs and bigger brakes. It will just feel more stable, stop better, etc. Won't have the squirrelly feeling. Acceleration and hill climbing will be somewhat dependent on the gear ratio and transmission tuning. Lower gears help a lot.

I daily drive a 3/4 ton gas (2012 Ram, 5.7L). I tow and haul frequently but not excessively heavy and for my uses I prefer it. Quieter, faster warm ups in the winter, better ride, better off road, and PLENTY of power for normal driving and towing. The newer 6.4L Hemi has even more guts. And as mentioned, lower repair costs if it needs to go in the shop. That said, other than oil changes at 8k mile intervals, I haven't touched this engine once in 60,000 miles, so repair costs have been zero so far.

Drawbacks are the the fuel mileage is only fair at best, and will absolutely stink when pulling in the mountains. I've gotten as low as 7 mpg hauling 8,000 lbs. Tow/Haul mode also can't compete with a true diesel engine brake on the downhill grades. That feature is really really nice.

Based on the cost of repairs that my buddy dropped on his diesel, I would never own one. $7000+ for injectors, etc.

Wow! Either he got taken for a ride, no pun intended, or he got some very high performance injectors. I bought my first and only diesel, new, back in 03 and I don't think I'll ever go back to gas again. I used to haul/tow a lot more than what I do now and have since sold a lot of my toys that I used my truck for, but when I purchased the truck my thought was I would put a 1/2 million miles on it and it could quite possibly be the last truck I ever own. So far, I have just under 200,000 in 13 1/2 years of driving. At this rate it will be another 20 years before I reach my goal, but I still think that is a possibility, if I live that long. All in all it's been a good rig (Cummins 5.9L) and although some maintenance costs can be fairly expensive (New injectors, upper and lower ball joints, U-joints replaced throughout, front wheel bearings replaced, to the tune of about $7000), this all took place last winter and although it hurt, it almost feels like I have a new truck all over again and, I suppose general wear and tear can be expected on any vehicle with close to 200,000 miles.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

It will handle better, it won't change the fact you'll need to likely climb passes slowly unless you get lower gearing (they often have the same engines). Pay attention to the transmission offering. The 5 speed on my Dodge 2500 I dislike because there is a very large ratio jump between 2nd and 3rd gear which combined with the axle ratio I have and tire size I run sucks on the mountain passes here. I can accelerate through 2nd gear fine but really have to spool it up high to get to a decent rpm when it jumps to 3rd gear and if I have to slow down at all it can't hold it. I've got the 3.73 rear axle that came with like 28" tires but I have the power wagon sized tires on mine ~31-32", the power wagon has a 4.54 rear axle and powers up passes fine. If money weren't an object I'd likely have 4.10 axle gears swapped into mine, but it is so I just work with it. :p

The manual transmission (hard to find) has a whole different and nicer set of gear bands.

First... diesel all the way.
The power and range are just to big a difference.

Second, I don't know where you live, but I think you can do better $30-40k used.
My uncle just bought an 05 Dodge 2500 with ~100kmiles and 5.9L Cummins and it ran about $22k. My buddy just bought an 04 2500 with 6spd 5.9L with 120k for right at $20k.

I got my 08 3500 6.7L Cummins w/ 60k miles about 4yrs ago and I was only in it for $20... 22 after tires & wheels.
Another buddy got a 05 F350 with a ltitle over 100k last year and paid right at $20k as well. He immediately did the bomb proofing & exhaust upgrades and can't be happier..nice looking truck too. Drives quite a bit different than my Dodge though.... runs a lot higher rpms between shift points.

Now I know they get more and more expensive each year, but I think you can do better than $30-40k.

Anyway. Good luck be patient and do your research before buying.
Hunt'nFish

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I have a V10 F250 where its main job is to pull our travel trailer. I have plenty of power (but not as much power as a diesel), and love the way it rides/drives. MY problem is that its only used for hunting/camping/fun excursions and sits the rest of the time. It has been said that a V10 can pass anything on the road but a gas station, I average around 9 pulling and 12-13 freeway with a light load.

My brother is a ford mechanic at a ford dealer and warned me that diesels dont like to sit for very long and that maintenance cost are higher for the trucks that do compared to the trucks that are used more often (that is his opinion, im not trying to state this as fact but more of an observation).

SDHNTR

WKR
You need to drive both and decide for yourself. It will only be more expensive to settle for a gasser now, and then decide you really want a diesel later. I own a diesel and have for 15 years. I only tow moderate loads, but to me there is still no comparison. I simply couldn't go back to gas. When it comes to performance of nearly anything, going backwards when you are used to a certain standard is usually disappointing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the automotive industry for 16 years, live in Colorado. My vote is gas with the right gears. Too many diesels with the exhaust fliud stuff spend a lot of time in the shop.

Will a gas 2500 chevy pull better than your 1500? YES, chevy detunes and gears the 1500 for mpg.

Tundra with the 5.7 6speed auto and 4:10 rear is a beast for towing. Rest of the truck is so so for handling.

Ford with the ecoboost has instant and constant torque. Don't buy the '15 or newer made of aluminum, insurance is high for repair costs.

Dodge, well don't go gas that hemi doesn't like pulling a load unless you have 5:56 rear end ratio. I do business with a major dodge dealership and they won't keep a 2500 with a hemi, sell them at auction.

The f150 has the most towing engineering for a half ton. Even without the ecoboost it will be a great balance for towing and daily driver.

I have a V10 F250 where its main job is to pull our travel trailer. I have plenty of power (but not as much power as a diesel), and love the way it rides/drives. MY problem is that its only used for hunting/camping/fun excursions and sits the rest of the time. It has been said that a V10 can pass anything on the road but a gas station, I average around 9 pulling and 12-13 freeway with a light load.

My brother is a ford mechanic at a ford dealer and warned me that diesels dont like to sit for very long and that maintenance cost are higher for the trucks that do compared to the trucks that are used more often (that is his opinion, im not trying to state this as fact but more of an observation).
V10 is a hell of a motor. buddy has one with 320k on it.

Last edited:

Roy68

WKR
I'm in the gasser camp unless it would be the right Diesel for the right price (5.9L Cummings mechanical engine). Besides the ford V-10, Chevy had/has an 8.0L gasser and dodge has a giant gas engine as well.

I'm not dealing with the mountains but we operate 7 trucks on the ranch and 1 is Diesel (gen2 dodge 6speed HO manual). The dodge sits unless we are moving equipment, hay, or cattle. And then it is accompanying the gassers. The dodge has the highest cost per mile to operate every year. The other trucks are a 1/2 gmc, 1 Chevy 2500 5.3L, 1 Chevy 3500 6.2L, f-250 5.4, 2 dodge 1500 5.7L

The Cummins is nice though when a full 30' of trailer is packed with beef. The 3500 Chevy pulls the 24' stock trailer just fine.

You mentioned pulling the toy hauler a dozen times a year, I would suggest you weigh that against the rest of the years needs. In hunting terms I have a 300wm it's awesome, but 90% of the time I use my 25-06 for everything but elk.

Last edited:
I will throw my 2 cents in. I have a 2016 GMC 2500 Diesel. I use it as my daily driver and for towing a 5th wheel. I upgraded from a 14 Chevy 1500.

Overall I really like it. When towing in the mountains of Idaho it is awesome, 10,000+ lbs doesn't even seem to phase it. The ride is not as soft as the 1500 but still very comfortable. I have taken it up some pretty nasty back country roads and it handles them just fine, it is isn't as nimble as Jeep or anything but I have gotten into some places I probably shouldn't have.

Gas mileage around town is like 15mpg tops. On the highway and not towing anything I get 19-22 depending on the terrain. When towing the 5th wheel I average 11 mpg. I have kept fastidious notes on my MPG when towing and here is my breakdown:
  • When going up and down mountains at 50-60 mph I average 8-9 mpg
  • When on the highway/interstate going 70-75 mph I get 10 mpg (this speed is rare for me when towing)
  • When on the highway/interstate going 60-65 mph I get a hair over 12 mpg

If you aren't towing especially heavy then I am not sure a gasser is a bad idea. If you want the option of getting a larger toy hauler or 5th wheel in the future then I would advise you go for diesel now. I do love the diesel and can't currently envision going back to a gasser for a big truck.

I have a 06 Chevy 6.0. I just bought a 02 5.9 cummins. I farm full time. And I'll just tell ya I loved my Chevy for just driving and such but working it I missed the power. Not to mention these new trucks are so emission driven it's pathetic. Oh yea and them automatics. Don't want no automatic