270 WSM goat bullet.

bascott1

WKR
Heading up to B.C for goats in august. Running a tikka 270 wsm. Can’t decide what bullet to use. Have 150gr fusions, 130gr trophy copper and 150gr VLD’s. All of them shoot well below MOA. What’s the best choice you guys think?

SDHNTR

WKR
The copper would be my choice. You don’t want lung shots on a goat. You need to break them down so they don’t roll or jump off a cliff. Shoot through both shoulders.

If handloading, I use either the Barnes TTSX or Accubond in the weight that shoots best in your rifle and as mentioned above try to hit as much shoulder bone as possible... These bullets don't break apart so bad on bones, give great penetration, but enough expansion to do the job.. With sheep and goats you have to break them down quickly where they stand.. If they move it can make their recovery a nightmare. Don't even aim for soft tissue, you got to hit every bone in their shoulder that you can.. Usually a high shoulder (2/3 up from bottom) will break shoulders and send enough shock to the spine to drop them where they stand.. Good luck with your choice and your hunt..

Last edited:
Of your choices I'd go with the Fusions or VLDs. . Aim behind the shoulder, let the bullet deliver all it's energy, and drop them where they stand.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Are you hand loading?
No. All
If handloading, I use either the Barnes TTSX or Accubond in the weight that shoots best in your rifle and as mentioned above try to hit as much shoulder bone as possible... These bullets don't break apart so bad on bones, give great penetration, but enough expansion to do the job.. With sheep and goats you have to break them down quickly where they stand.. If they move it can make their recovery a nightmare. Don't even aim for soft tissue, you got to hit every bone in their shoulder that you can.. Usually a high shoulder (2/3 up from bottom) will break shoulders and send enough shock to the spine to drop them where they stand.. Good luck with your choice and your hunt..
i appreciate the info. Definitely gonna try for shoulder shot. I need to start reloading. Factory ammo for the 270 wsm is hard to come by right now. I’d love some accubonds. Can’t seem to find any from the factory

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Why not use a Nosler Ballistic tip, ELDX, etc. and not worry about hitting bone. Aim behind the shoulder, let the bullet deliver all its energy, and drop them where they stand.
I can’t find any factory ammo hardly. Lucked across some vld’s so bought 14 boxes of em. Lol

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. I got really lucky and was presented a quartering away shot. Tucked the bullet behind the near shoulder destroyed the vitals and broke the away shoulder putting the goat down where he stood.

SDHNTR

WKR
I disagree on VLDs for goats. And I’m a Berger fan. At .270 wsm speeds you’ll have plenty of expansion even if you happen to only hit soft stuff. That copper bullet will work both ways, hard or soft hits. The Berger only works best one way.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I disagree on VLDs for goats. And I’m a Berger fan. At .270 wsm speeds you’ll have plenty of expansion even if you happen to only hit soft stuff. That copper bullet will work both ways, hard or soft hits. The Berger only works best one way.

The copper would be my choice. You don’t want lung shots on a goat. You need to break them down so they don’t roll or jump off a cliff. Shoot through both shoulders.

Having only relativly little mountain goat experience, yet having seen their anatomy- what about a Mtn Goat requires a hard bullet? They are extremely narrow side to side and their bones are no thicker than other NA games animals. That they are “tough” does not mean that their tissue is. From the first time I saw one living, until seeing them dead, there is nothing about them that says a deep penetrating, narrow wounding bullet is appropriate- quite the opposite.

gerry35

WKR
Having hunted them and also guided for them pretty much anything will work to be honest. They are super tough but if you double lung them they will die like anything else. I like fast expanding bullets like the Accubond and Ballistic Tip or equivalent bullets from other manufacturers. Something that opens a big wound channel is ideal. A 270 WSM is a fantastic choice.

SDHNTR

WKR
Having only relativly little mountain goat experience, yet having seen their anatomy- what about a Mtn Goat requires a hard bullet? They are extremely narrow side to side and their bones are no thicker than other NA games animals. That they are “tough” does not mean that their tissue is. From the first time I saw one living, until seeing them dead, there is nothing about them that says a deep penetrating, narrow wounding bullet is appropriate- quite the opposite.
Their front shoulders are pretty massive, overall, for their size imo. Bone and muscle. Especially a big Northern Billy. Certainly more substantial than a deer. And ideally, I want to run that bullet through BOTH shoulders and maybe even some spine. Totally break it down so it can’t move. It’s not the killing, it’s the anchoring right there. Goats aren’t that hard to get close to, assuming the terrain allows, so a precise, close shot is very possible and is what I’d want. Yes, they are tough and have a will to live that is incredible. They can go a ways with no lungs. You’re right in that it’s not so much the anatomy, it’s the terrain where they live and their will. So I want to break that sucker down, DRT. Of the several of goats I’ve seen killed and a couple hunts of my own, I want a hard bullet personally. Get close, high speed impact, with a controlled expansion bullet. That’s my take. To each their own. I’m not taking anything away from a Berger either, it just wouldn’t be my first choice for a .270 wsm at shorter range especially. Use whatever bullet gives you the confidence to make a precise shot and break the animal down on the spot.

Look 6’ behind this Billy, 150-200’ cliff. If I hadn’t have broken him down on that shelf he would’ve been nothing but a bag of bones.

Attachments

• 685429EC-172C-4C6F-94FD-6CAAE57EA22A.jpeg
    685429EC-172C-4C6F-94FD-6CAAE57EA22A.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Having hunted them and also guided for them pretty much anything will work to be honest. They are super tough but if you double lung them they will die like anything else. I like fast expanding bullets like the Accubond and Ballistic Tip or equivalent bullets from other manufacturers. Something that opens a big wound channel is ideal. A 270 WSM is a fantastic choice.
My favorite mountain caliber.

gerry35

WKR
I do agree that their bone structure is surprisingly heavy on a big billy. That is why I like a bullet that has a combination of toughness and good expansion. It is also true as @SDHNTR mentioned that you almost always can stalk in to a reasonable distance especially in the summer. When shooting one you have to make sure you can get to where they drop to recover the animal or break some bone so they fall off of a cliff to where you can get to them. Of course with the latter breaking the horns can be an issue.