6.5 CM copper bullet choice lite and fast or heavy

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I probably getting a 6.5CM soon. I started to look for the best bullet for my needs. I am thinking I just start with copper solid. NY has laws pending but I sure it will end up that way. Most my hunting is in wooded areas in southern NY with most shots from 25-150 yards. I don't think I ever reach out past 250. 90% of shoots would be 100 or less. I am looking at the copper solids. Barnes and hammer. Hammer suggested a 80 hhT loaded to 3600FPS. hammers seem to have great reviews But cost is a lot higher than barns. I also was looking at the Barnes 127 LR bullet. loaded up to 2738Fps. I like the idea of the flat shooting 80 GR . Just wonder if it's enough for deer. I tried the Barnes years back and count get them to fly good in that riffle, but who knows what they will do this in this riffle . I will probably get tikka supperlite 24" 1-8" twist . I am left hand shooter so not a lot of choices. wondering what others think?

amassi

WKR
Not to be the curmudgeon but from 0-250 yards it doesn’t matter. I’d shoot the ttsx or Hornady cx factory load and not worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot the 127 LRX and 124 Hammer Hunter out of my .260 with good results.

Macintosh

WKR
Yep, wont matter at those ranges. 127lrx would be my personal choice. In general, if you are talking the same bullet (ie comparing cx to cx or ttsx to ttsx) the lighter, faster bullet is what you want for copper. At longer range the heavier bullet MAY carry enough velocity farther, but often it wont due to the low bc of copper bullets. But thats out at 350-400+ yards. At the ranges you are talking about its a non-issue.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm very interested in light weight monos going as fast as possible this year. I didn't have time to work up another load for my 280ai but my thought was to get a 120gr TTSX moving around 3400fps. I imagine that would be great for any deer I run into.

For 6.5 specifically, the 100gr going 3200fps should work just fine. For me, this is where I'd start before moving to the 120s. I've taken a ton of deer with 90-100gr 6mm bullets so I have no worries about it not being enough.

Macintosh

WKR
And if you arent handloading the standard 120-127 gr factory loads also work just fine.

amassi

WKR
I'm very interested in light weight monos going as fast as possible this year. I didn't have time to work up another load for my 280ai but my thought was to get a 120gr TTSX moving around 3400fps. I imagine that would be great for any deer I run into.

For 6.5 specifically, the 100gr going 3200fps should work just fine. For me, this is where I'd start before moving to the 120s. I've taken a ton of deer with 90-100gr 6mm bullets so I have no worries about it not being enough.

I shot the 100 gr ttsx out of a 257 wby over 3600 fps on a few deer and antelope. It killed then but nothing special. Same goes for the 80ttsx and 240 weatherby.
Worked but not as well as the partition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
one thing I forgot to mention Is our black bear season runs the same as whitetail in NY. Now in 30 years og hunting i have not seen one from the stand, but they are around, and I do get trail camera pictures. I see one on ATV while moving a stand. with that in mind maybe I should stick to the 120-130 range .Scheels has the Barnes 127 LRX on sale. I know this is a long-range bullet. is there any reason it would not be a good choice for closer ranges?

SDHNTR

WKR
one thing I forgot to mention Is our black bear season runs the same as whitetail in NY. Now in 30 years og hunting i have not seen one from the stand, but they are around, and I do get trail camera pictures. I see one on ATV while moving a stand. with that in mind maybe I should stick to the 120-130 range .Scheels has the Barnes 127 LRX on sale. I know this is a long-range bullet. is there any reason it would not be a good choice for closer ranges?
It works better at close range! Carry on with zero worry.

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I called and talked to Barnes. after I explained what my use was, they suggested. I try the 100 tsxt . of course, I have to see what my riffle thinks of them.

Sled

WKR
I've played around with a few. For your specs I like the 127LRX. They worked well on a moose, cow elk and bull last year for my kid.

So question to all of the folks giving advice here, I have been reading and reading and reading... seems like paralysis by analysis (and an overwhelming amount of different input) is real.
My understanding is that a copper bullet needs more velocity to properly expand.
With my simple thinking... If I shoot a whitetail within 50-100-150 yards with a 6.5 CM, the velocity will be MORE than enough to hit with authority, expand properly, exit (most likely), and in theory have a DRT deer, with little fragmentation/bloodshot meat. Or am I missing something here?

Looking to switch to all copper myself, mostly hunting in GA so shots under 150 yards, unless I'm in a field.

Looking at Hornady GMX (CX now I think), Barnes TTSX, and LRX (in another mag for those longer shots). Maybe Nosler eTip.

rideold

WKR
Yes.

If you look at the published velocity of the 120 gr factory loaded Barnes Vor-TX it is going plenty fast at 400 yards to expand. Even if you cut the velocity numbers down to make sure it is going fast enough there is no worry in my mind out to 300 yards. My son shot a deer last fall with a handloaded 120 gr TTSX at around 100 yards and there was no problem at all.

RONDO264

FNG
I've had good luck with Nosler E-tips (120gr), not saying anything against other monos, just haven't had a lot of personal experience with them.