30-06 or 7mm mag for 2nd rifle?

Rus

FNG
So I want to get a new rifle for hunting deer and occasionally elk. I already have a 6.5 creed but want to get something a little bigger for possible elk hunts. I know a 6.5 could do the trick but I really just want to buy a new gun. Kinda stuck on these calibers because I know recoil isn’t to bad and I would be more inclined to practice at the range if it didn’t kick the crap out of me!

I think they are both great calibers. Buy the one that you can find ammunition for. That's the real crux of the issue, not the performance of either one.

So I want to get a new rifle for hunting deer and occasionally elk. I already have a 6.5 creed but want to get something a little bigger for possible elk hunts. I know a 6.5 could do the trick but I really just want to buy a new gun. Kinda stuck on these calibers because I know recoil isn’t to bad and I would be more inclined to practice at the range if it didn’t kick the crap out of me!
7mm without a doubt.
Better ballistics than an 06 and they straight up kill at range

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I'd decide the rifle you want and then set out to find the best deal you can on it. If its a .30-06, either .280, 7mm Mag, or a .270 WCF or WSM (or even 6.5 PRC if that appeals) don't sweat it and put the savings towards ammunition or reloading components and optics. The truth is all these cartridges will take the wiggle out of any elk that actually sets hoof upon the earth.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
I thought about the 280 Ai seems like a great round! But there aren’t much for rifles available under $1000 and not a lot of factory ammo. But it is intriguing

I am an -06 fan however with what you already have I would lean to the 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Heljr4wd

FNG
I love my 7mm Mag, I've taken moose, kodiak and black bear, elk, deer and buffalo with it and have never had any problems with it dropping the animal as long as the shot placement was right. I do suggest though the 06 if you don't reload for availability of ammunition and a very wide range of bullet weights.

TN2shot07

WKR
Both options will kill what you’re after. My vote is 30-06 all day, no interest in spending the extra money the magnum costs to shoot. I will be fair and say that if you are doing anything long range (>400) the 7mm would be better, otherwise dead is dead!

WKR
Flip a coin. I'd suggest buying 100 rounds of ammo for either and then looking for a rifle to shoot it in. Personally I'd search long and hard for more 6.5 Creedmoor ammo and forego buying another rifle right now. Our last longer range elk, bear, mule deer and antelope were all shot with a 6.5x47 lapua, so basically a Creedmoor.

I would add 308, it nearly matches 30-06 with less recoil.

If you think you would ever take a shot at 400+ yards go with the 7RM. One last recommendation possibly worthwhile: 300 WSM. It does not have much more recoil than 30-06/7RM and it is the only ammo regularly in stock at both Cabela's and Sportsman's in Grand Junction, CO (which is THE big outdoors hub of Western CO). Obviously that is variable by location, but I would imagine it is not hard to find like many other ammo varieties are.

stevevan

WKR
I would add 308, it nearly matches 30-06 with less recoil.

If you think you would ever take a shot at 400+ yards go with the 7RM. One last recommendation possibly worthwhile: 300 WSM. It does not have much more recoil than 30-06/7RM and it is the only ammo regularly in stock at both Cabela's and Sportsman's in Grand Junction, CO (which is THE big outdoors hub of Western CO). Obviously that is variable by location, but I would imagine it is not hard to find like many other ammo varieties are.
No brainer, 7mm Remmy

Just depends what you're after in a rifle. Borh cartridges are excellent with under normal situations available and inexpensive ammo. The 7mm mag will, all other things being equal, be a slightly bigger and heavier rifle. 7mm will shoot a little flatter and longer at ranges I've never shot a big game animal at. 30-06 will handle heavier bullets than an off the shelf 7mm mag. I'd probably focus on the rifle you like best and then see what calibers you can get and what's the best deal you can find. Fwiw 3006 is my AK rifle. All my elk and my lower 48 moose have been with a 6.5 Swede.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I would hunt anything in North America with either. My go to has been my 7mm since I was a teenager. If those were my only two choices I would base it around the rifle itself rather than the cartridge. Both can move a wide variety of bullets at sufficient speeds to do what ya need to get done.