30-40lb bags

What do y’all use for weight in your bags? Right now 60lb sand bag is too much for me to get on my back. Looking for a cheap solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the legs off of old pairs of jeans, fill them with sand and tie off each end with zip ties. I have a bunch of various different sizes, makes it easy to adjust pack weight for workouts, and I like the way the multiple smaller bags distribute weight in my pack vs 1 big sand bag.

They work great at the rifle range zeroing your rifle as well.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I throw a pair of tire chains in the pack. They're in a canvas bag to keep them from damaging anything. With my camping gear that gets me up to about 50 pounds.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Remove 20 lbs of sand from 60 lbs bag. Seal it back up. Put a trash bag in an old pillow case, put the 20 lbs of sand you removed in there and seal it. Now you have a 40 lbs and a 20 lbs sand bag.

I use my camp gear minus my quilt and down jacket. This is because I am starting to do 9 mile day hikes nearby and having that stuff with me makes my wife worry less.

I recently added poker chips in ziplock bags to get more weight. One 500 pack adds a bit over 15 pounds. Shooting bags are nice and heavy too. I have also considered filling up my 2L dirty water bag.

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
I jusy grab a 6 dollar bag of concrete mix from home depot. Wrap it in moving plastic and put it in a dry bag

Mosby

WKR
I buy 30 lb bags of crushed mineral rocks. $15 and then I pour it out on my property for deer when I am done training.

Scrappy

WKR
Once you have a good base weight added to your pack you can slowly add weight using one liter water bottles to increase weight gradually.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have a dog? Use dog food. Have livestock? Use corn. Dual purpose, and they're easier to get comfortable than a sandbag.

Wapiti1

WKR
Bag of softener salt is in one pack now. The other has a 45lb plate weight strapped to it.

Jeremy

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Quickkrete play sand from Lowes..less than 10 bucks for 2 50 pound bags. Divided it up into differnt size ziploc bags for the desired weights and then duck tape securely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dennis

WKR
Lots of good ideas above. Another suggestion is a collapsible 5 gallon water jug. Put it in your pack and fill to desired weight. Water weights approximately 8.33lbs per gallon or 5 gallons of water weights 41.65lbs. Easy to adjust, and if you want, you can dump water once you climb up a steep hill to save knees coming down or just dump half. Good luck!

Gapmaster

WKR
I just wrap a couple decent sized rocks in a towel and strap em up. Cost:$0.00. Currently carrying 49.6#s with 3 rocks. Once you cinch them down they don’t move and I don’t have to worry about sand in my pack or carrying around my gear for no reason.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How about a lighter sandbag??? I mean if the one you have is too heavy then get a lighter one right?

tdot

WKR
60lb bag of sand, split into two old HD drybags. Then 10l of water, which is 22lbs, in 3 separate bags. I can mix and match from 20lbs to 100lbs.

I always try to carry the water, this way if I've pushed too hard, or the descent is slippery in the winter, etc. I can quickly unload that extra weight without an issue and no effect to the sand bags.