300 wm change my mind.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Vanguard 300 WM (200 gr ELD-X). It's been a fine rifle, but I am going to buy a custom 7mm RM (180 gr VLD hunting) this month.

I know there is not much of a difference ballistically between the two options, but I can get similar energy down range, but I'll get a little less recoil from the 7mm RM.

30-06. Substantially less recoil and more than enough power.

300wm shoots flatter. And the only 2 elk I’ve seen shot with them, the damage has been impressive. Baseball sized entrance holes, Bullets caught in the hide on he opposite side. Both dropped in their tracks.

They might go 30-50 yards with a 30-06 but dead is dead

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kinda in the same boat....but I know some stuff. I probably shot at least 15 cow elk in as many years with my .270. The last two years two cow elk with my 6.5CM. I finally put in for bull elk last year and was tag soup. But I felt nervous the whole season with my CM. Inside of 400 no problem I felt but outside of 400 left me wanting.

I'm on the fence with 300WM or 300PRC.

Luckily...luckily...my buddy has both and loves to let me shoot them....I'm digging the PRC.

Now here's my .02 cents...double up on hearing protection. I'm talking muff's and plugs. Do both, your ear's will thank you. Loud will make it lots worse than it really is.

Do you re-load? That's another factor really, especially with the no-ammo these day's. The last to go on our shelves for factory ammo here was 300WM. And its been sold out for months now. So there's that.

But above all else you need to go shoot some 300's with big time hearing protection to really decide. I'd shoot off-hand into the brush the first shot to see how sissy it is first. Then off a bench. I'm serious. I'm 5'9 and 140lbs recoil is a factor for me. -WW

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
I'm kinda in the same boat....but I know some stuff. I probably shot at least 15 cow elk in as many years with my .270. The last two years two cow elk with my 6.5CM. I finally put in for bull elk last year and was tag soup. But I felt nervous the whole season with my CM. Inside of 400 no problem I felt but outside of 400 left me wanting.

I'm on the fence with 300WM or 300PRC.

Luckily...luckily...my buddy has both and loves to let me shoot them....I'm digging the PRC.

Now here's my .02 cents...double up on hearing protection. I'm talking muff's and plugs. Do both, your ear's will thank you. Loud will make it lots worse than it really is.

Do you re-load? That's another factor really, especially with the no-ammo these day's. The last to go on our shelves for factory ammo here was 300WM. And its been sold out for months now. So there's that.

But above all else you need to go shoot some 300's with big time hearing protection to really decide. I'd shoot off-hand into the brush the first shot to see how sissy it is first. Then off a bench. I'm serious. I'm 5'9 and 140lbs recoil is a factor for me. -WW
Good points there. A friend has a .300 prc and he says it’s a beast. I do re-load. Not set up for 300 wm though. Should be fun to work on a custom load someday down the line. I was just thinking about the hearing pro. Like maybe my electronic muffs need a little back up from some ear plugs. I like that first shot off hand suggestion.

Gobbler36

WKR
300wsm with 190ABLR for elk, I live and hunt out west and wanted to by something that would do everythin. it’s braked and it’s a loud SOB but I should have my suppressor this fall to help a bit

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
Update: I ended up going with Browning X-bolt in .300 WM. Once I get some glass on it I’ll update again with a picture. Thanks to all for the input and the nudges!

brushape

WKR
I bought a tikka super light 300 win a few years ago as a backup rifle and that thing was absolutely miserable to shoot coming from someone used to a 30-06 or 6.5s so I never really used it. During that time I shot 2 elk with my 6.5 saum which had no complaints but I couldn’t stand seeing a nice rifle sitting unused in my safe so it is currently at a smith getting a brake. Once I get it back I’ll give a new report on weather I find it useful for my style of hunting and shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I got a 300 WM by timing basically. I was going to buy a 3006 but the rifle i wanted was aviable at a great price in 300 wm so I bought it. I don't really have any regrets. It doesn't kick mych but I shoot it with a brake. My advise would be to worry more about what you want out of your new rifle and less on the specific caliber. Once you know the gun you want then you may have to choose a caliber.

My 120lb wife and my 100lb 13 year old love shooting my browning hell’s canyon 300 win mag. The muzzle brake and the recoil pad make it very easy to shoot. It is my go to rifle on every hunt in Alaska.