300 WSM Question

ToolMann

WKR
I'm going to load some 30 WSM for my buddy using some older 180 grain Speer Hit-Cor bullets and IMR 4350. The speer manual says to use LR primers, CCI 200 is what they used. Assumed before reading the manual they'd spen LRM primers. Any insight in to this?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on how many grains of powder you're loading. Don't need a magnum primer for every load.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sure either would work as long as you worked the load up safely. I recall somewhere saying about 60 gr of powder being the amount to go to a mag primer. Sounds like you have plenty of Primers! lucky you

Some say closer to 70 grains is the cut off for needing magnum primers. I've been running LR (no M) in my 300 wsm reloads but I'm also not hitting max load with superformance.

Watch out for bad primer pockets. I've shot some federal that was loose after 1 firing with winchester primers. The nickel plated brass seems to be the worst.

I have tended to see a little lower velocity ES using 210M than LRM primers with my 300 wsm loads with mid 60s grains of powder. I believe the 210m are a little hotter than some other LR primers.

You should be fine with either choice.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks fellas. Max load is 65 grains per the book. I'm overly cautious and rarely ever venture above the published max. Looks like going with the regular LR primers should be good. I have a lot more if those than I do the magnum anyways. Now if I could only find some blackhorn 209 or IMR 4831 for my other stuff.

Thanks fellas. Max load is 65 grains per the book. I'm overly cautious and rarely ever venture above the published max. Looks like going with the regular LR primers should be good. I have a lot more if those than I do the magnum anyways. Now if I could only find some blackhorn 209 or IMR 4831 for my other stuff.
Funny world we live in as I have ample bh209 and 4831 to last a while but uncomfortably low on LRM primers. As to what primer I start load work up with depends on the powder and charge.

If using a stick powder and the charge is above 65 grains I start with a LRM, ball powders get LRM’s when charge weight is over 60 grains.

Just the way I learned years ago and it’s never not worked out for me.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Funny world we live in as I have ample bh209 and 4831 to last a while but uncomfortably low on LRM primers. As to what primer I start load work up with depends on the powder and charge.

If using a stick powder and the charge is above 65 grains I start with a LRM, ball powders get LRM’s when charge weight is over 60 grains.

Just the way I learned years ago and it’s never not worked out for me.
Thanks Mallard. Sounds like sticking with LR will work. Too bad you weren't closer or we could make a trade!

308ghost

FNG
I’ve been using fed 210’s in my 300wsm with RL16 and have had No issues. I also wouldn’t hesitate to try some of the magnum primers. In my experience, I’ve seen primers may have slight increases or decreases in overall pressures and velocities but more of an impact on your SD and ES numbers than anything. Just try both a little while doing development or pick one and roll imo.

sheffe

FNG
I would stick with LR primers and run the load workup. If you dont find results you're looking for, then switch to LRM. Hopefully the LR give you better ES and accuracy.
Post what you figure out!

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Update! Hit the range this morning. The gun shot pretty good, better than he's ever done with factory ammo. Best group measured .575" using 63.8 grains of IMR 4350 and CCI200 primers in Winchester nickel plated cases. It really seemed to like everything below that too, but as they got hotter than 63.8 they started to open up pretty good ranging from 1.2" to 1.5" groups. Think we'll stick at the 63.8 for now. Not bad for some super old Speer Hot-Cor flat base bullets he had lying around for year. Now to see if we can find some more. Appreciate all the info from you guys.