6.5 creedmoor

6.5 Creedmoor can adequately take elk and ranges longer than most of us are proficient to attempt.

Again... "adequate"... not ideal.

The 6.5 Creedmoor does not carry the optimal energy to be the "right" answer for elk at 600yds.

The 6.5 PRC or another .264 magnum may be a little more than adequate.

For me, a 600yd elk rifle starts with a .284.

>>>----JAKE----->

I go by expansion velocity. 6.5CM carries enough to do its work out to 600 yards. More than enough. And further than I would shoot.

LightFoot

WKR
I go by expansion velocity. 6.5CM carries enough to do its work out to 600 yards. More than enough. And further than I would shoot.
I just want to be clear. I am not saying it doesn't work. Not saying it is not adequate. Actually, I am saying it IS adequate.

Adequate < Ideal

For the record: I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and I would not hesitate to take an elk with it. I took an axis deer with it last weekend. I am also unlikely to take the 6.5 Creedmoor on a elk hunt. But that's because I have other options... ideal options.

>>>----JAKE----->

It will definitely do it. I have a couple of deer kills with mine beyond 600 and the bullet (140 ELD M) is still making a fantastic wound channel at that distance. You can definitely kill and elk at 600+ yards, but it isn't going to break one down.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I have a 300 Win Mag that I have set up for Elk, but have a 6.5 CM that will be a backup gun, and used for deer and antelope as well as shooting steel. Just because I'm thinking I want something ready to go that will handle it if I need to, I'm thinking the Cutting Edge Lazer 130 grain might be a good option... Anyone tried it? Hammer Hunters are another option...

wyosam

WKR
I took a cow just a hair under 400 last fall with the factory 127 lrx. Quartering away, that bullet went through quite a bit of elk, including a rib on entry before it destroyed the offside shoulder and exited. I’ve switched to 124 hammer hunters @ 2875. Those will still have speed to open at 600, but I never really shoot at game that far out. I’m doped and confirmed to 600, but that cow last year was probably the longest shot I’ve ever taken at an elk. Generally under 300, with probably 150 being average. Big improvement over the 30-06 it replaced- its a bunch lighter, and is an absolute joy to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk