Sanity Check - 6.5c vs 6c

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
I decided to get a new rifle a few months ago and I have narrowed it down to two. Both of them come in 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 creedmoor.
100% of my rifle hunting is PA whitetail (shots are less than 500y) but Ive been building points for elk/pronghorn/mulies in several states for years.

I dont see the need to go to a short mag like the 6.5prc so I’m between the two cartridges leaning towards the 6.5 since it meets the requirements for PA elk if/when I draw that tag, although I can always borrow my dads 308 if needed.

Thoughts between the two?
If it helps I do reload and I’ve been stacking primers/powder since 2012.

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 is what I’m leaning towards but in the event I drew an elk tag I do have a 308 and a .270 come to think of it, that I can borrow from my father without having to buy another rifle. I am a fan of low recoil and accurate above all else. Only reason I didn’t put a .223 on the list of potential calibers is because of caliber restrictions in other states.

Matt5266

WKR
Being you handload and hunt whitetail mostly from 500 and closer. I'd say 6 creed. It will do great on the antelope and mule deer as well if that comes up. Like you said if you draw a elk tag you have access to other calibers. I would get what would benefit you MOST of the time your hunting. Of course you couldn't go wrong with a 6.5 creed either.

rsipes3

FNG
You err.....you might want to have a rethink about that there chief........

and whys that? i know its doable. but if i had to pick between a 140 gr 6.5 bullet vs a 110 gr 6cm bullet for elk im gonna be picking the 6.5. thats like sayin im gonna choose to shoot whitetails with my .223 when i got a .243 sittin there. can you kill them with that? absolutely, is it a good idea? probably not. not when theres other options anyway. i think your just limiting your abilities otherwise.

mt100gr.

WKR
and whys that? i know its doable. but if i had to pick between a 140 gr 6.5 bullet vs a 110 gr 6cm bullet for elk im gonna be picking the 6.5. thats like sayin im gonna choose to shoot whitetails with my .223 when i got a .243 sittin there. can you kill them with that? absolutely, is it a good idea? probably not. not when theres other options anyway. i think your just limiting your abilities otherwise.
Have you read the .223 thread?😁

ElPollo

WKR
I’m guessing you might watch Ron Spomer videos on YouTube and focus a lot on muzzle energy figures.

rsipes3

FNG
maybe im missing something here but what is the advantage to going to these smaller calibers? i can understand wanting less recoil. but we arent talking about a 300wm or even 30-06 here.... of all the caliber options we have available to us, i just cant understand the logic of wanting to find the smallest caliber possible that does the job, which in turn just limits your abilities and opportunities..... i mean just because ya can, doesnt mean ya should.

rsipes3

FNG
I shoot better with lower recoiling cartridges. Thats the advantage.
i get that. everybody does. some more than others too i guess. but my opinion the recoil levels we are talking about with these calibers thats not even a factor for a hunting rifle, thats even more true if the rifle has a brake. we arent talking about benchrest here. what you trade off isnt worth what you gain i guess is what im getting at. im speaking for myself though. its a negligable amount of accuracy gain, if any at all. not only that, theres lots of other factors youll be dealing with in the field when you take the shot that are going to be alot bigger concern than that, like the type of rest you have, shooting position, adrenaline, the wind, ect. this is all just my opinion of course so it is what it is. happy hunting and good luck with whatever you choose.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
maybe im missing something here but what is the advantage to going to these smaller calibers? i can understand wanting less recoil. but we arent talking about a 300wm or even 30-06 here.... of all the caliber options we have available to us, i just cant understand the logic of wanting to find the smallest caliber possible that does the job, which in turn just limits your abilities and opportunities..... i mean just because ya can, doesnt mean ya should.

A bullet works because of 2 things and only 2 things.

1) It hits the aimpoint and 2) It destroys tissue.

Animals die because you destroy vital tissue.

It is beyond dispute that:

The shooter is the greatest cause of error in shot process.

Reduced recoil makes for better shots.
Reduced recoil makes spotting shots easier.
Reduced recoil makes for faster shots on target.
More bullets in the animal means more damage.

Higher velocity and higher BC allow for higher precision because there is less drop and wind drift, than lower velocity/BC.

A “match” bullet is the most effective destroyer of tissue possible per grain.
Destroy enough tissue and there is no tracking needed.

The difference in tissue destruction between a .223 77 TMK and 6.5 140 ELDm is wound channel width of 1-2 inches and penetration of 3-4 inches (if I recall Form’s #s correctly, but I couldn’t really tell much difference in the various calibers Inhave seen from Bergers.)

The 6mm creed has better external ballistics than the 6.5 creed because velocity is higher for the same BC bullets. Making errors in ranging and wind less drastic on target.

It is my opinion that 6 creed is the choice because there are diminishing returns for recoil reduction going to a .223 down from 6 creed, because the 6 creed has better exterior ballistics and effective terminal velocity at ranges beyond 400.