Sanity Check - 6.5c vs 6c

CC55

FNG
I would have no problem with either, but would probably go with 6cm. Recoil isn't crazy different between the two. In a 9# rifle, you're looking at ~12.5# recoil in the 6.5cm and ~10# in the 6cm (6.5PRC jumps you up to ~18.5#). Bullet options are great for both, so no loss there.

atmat

WKR
6 creed: good trajectory but very short barrel life.
Almost like a 264 Win. Go through an 8 pound jug of powder and order the next with a barrel.

Of the two it's easy to pick 6.5 unless you're affected by the small caliber craze of RS. 6.5 CM barrel life isn't great but liveable. The 308 you can borrow will outlast 2 of them though.
No one shoots out either if you’re reserving it for hunting only, and using a 223 to train on.

Which is what everyone should do, as barrel life and ammo saves enough money to justify the rifle.

I vote 6creed because it’s legal everywhere other than KY and PA, fun to shoot, great ballistics, and minimal recoil.

fwafwow

WKR
Whole thread on that exact question.

Yep. One need not agree with the hypothesis, but if a member asks these questions and is pointed to this or some of the other threads, it is readily apparent if the person asking the question doesn’t bother to read even a single post in the referenced thread(s).

Vern400

WKR
No one shoots out either if you’re reserving it for hunting only, and using a 223 to train on.

Which is what everyone should do, as barrel life and ammo saves enough money to justify the rifle.

I vote 6creed because it’s legal everywhere other than KY and PA, fun to shoot, great ballistics, and minimal recoil.

Ive shot out 223 barrels, I've shot out 308 barrels. Last thing I need is a rifle I can't bang a couple hundred through without worrying.

You get your vote. I get my vote.

I'd pick the 6.5 creed because all things being equal it's a more forgiving gun for deer. Recoil from a 6.5 Creed is minimal. As the caliber get smaller and smaller the requirement for extremely precise shot placement goes up and up. I've used a 222, A 22 magnum, a 22 target revolver. Stick and String. Been there and done that and I'm back towards center of the road.

You're just in a different place in your journey.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Barrels are consumables. I switched from 6.5 to 6 last year. The main difference is being able to observe impacts/misses. I would say (wild guess here) with the 6.5 from field positions it was 50% chance recoil would keep me from observing. 6 creed is dam near every shot is observed. With an 8lb gun.

But it's really just personal preference. If you usually have a spotter, 6.5. If you like melting people's brain when they ask what you shot your elk with, 6 creed. Haha

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
As not to gum up the forums with another thread: my current plan is PH2 in 6.5C with a Maven rs 1.2 as it seems to be the best combination of features I like on a scope. The one thing I haven’t figured out are scope rings and a potential brake. I’ve shot plenty of larger caliber rifles without so I’m not really concerned with actual recoil but I do want to be able to spot my shots so the brake would be a purchase made if I felt I needed it down the road.

The amount of options for rings is almost dizzying at this point. I just want something sturdy and relatively light weight.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
As not to gum up the forums with another thread: my current plan is PH2 in 6.5C with a Maven rs 1.2 as it seems to be the best combination of features I like on a scope. The one thing I haven’t figured out are scope rings and a potential brake. I’ve shot plenty of larger caliber rifles without so I’m not really concerned with actual recoil but I do want to be able to spot my shots so the brake would be a purchase made if I felt I needed it down the road.

The amount of options for rings is almost dizzying at this point. I just want something sturdy and relatively light weight.
Nightforce UL 30mm, low rings. Thank me later....

atmat

WKR
Ive shot out 223 barrels, I've shot out 308 barrels.
I didn’t say it was impossible to. But barrel life is significantly longer in these barrels, so if you’re looking to train with volume they make great options.

Last thing I need is a rifle I can't bang a couple hundred through without worrying.
That’s fine, you’re welcome to do what you want. The point I made was that a viable (and more affordable) option is keeping one barrel-burning rifle specifically for hunting, and using another to shoot/train volume with.

I'd pick the 6.5 creed because all things being equal it's a more forgiving gun for deer.
There are guys here using 223 on moose. Bullet construction and impact velocity matters magnitudes more than headstamp. I use 6creed on everything.

Recoil from a 6.5 Creed is minimal.
It’s not a ton of recoil by any stretch. But it’s enough jump from 6creed that lots of guys start to lose the inability to spot shots.

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I found a killer deal on a Seekins element in 6.5C (only 250 more than the PH2) so I jumped on it. Going to top it with the maven Rs 1.2 2.5-15 just haven’t determined what rings to get yet. I will probably not put a brake on initially to see how it shoots without it, but with bipod, rings and scope it should be around 8lbs.