6.8 Western Brass

jgraff08

FNG
What sucks is that is feels like there is a real effort to make sure the 6.8W dies. Hornady doesn't want to make anything for it because they know it blows the PRC out of the water. I have gotten just under 3000 fps with 165 ABLR and 2900 with 175 TGK. With what feels like the same amount of recoil as the 6.5 PRC. I was hoping it caught on so Winchester/Browning could do a 7mm version....
The center of the world isn't in Nebraska contrary to somes belief

Gila

WKR
What sucks is that is feels like there is a real effort to make sure the 6.8W dies. Hornady doesn't want to make anything for it because they know it blows the PRC out of the water. I have gotten just under 3000 fps with 165 ABLR and 2900 with 175 TGK. With what feels like the same amount of recoil as the 6.5 PRC. I was hoping it caught on so Winchester/Browning could do a 7mm version....
Welcome to Rokslide! There is no way The “Big Red” will ever support the 6.8 Western. No dies, no brass, no bullets and definitely no ammo. The honeymoon is over for the “cartridge that should not be named”. The way I see it, the 6.5 PRC is a very good thing, although the 6.5 x. 284 Norma will give it a run for the money. The 6.5 PRC came out in 2018. The 6.8 Western in 2021. The 7 PRC came out in 2023.

The truth is there are plenty of accepted 7 mm cartridges that will push a high BC bullet out to 1,000 yards and win money or drop an Elk in it’s tracks. So then I think the question that is frequently dodged or not even asked, is why did Big Red come out with the 7 PRC? The comparison between the 6.8 Western and the 7 PRC is really non-sequiter. The direct competition for the 6.5 PRC is the 6.8 Western. The comparison between the 6.8 West/ 6.5 PRC can be made since both are short action cartridges designed to shoot heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. The longest OAL of both cartridges loaded with the highest BC bullets for each caliber will fit in most common magazines that can feed a cartridge up to 3” in length. The heaviest bullets for the 6.5 PRC is the 147 ELDm which is loaded in factory ammo. The heaviest bullet for the 6.8 Western is the 175 game changer which is also loaded in factory ammunition.

The paradigm shift is away from last centuries long action cartridges to short action cartridges that will shoot the newer, higher BC bullets. That is a way to shoot heavy for caliber high BC bullets and still be within the 3.4” limitation of most factory “long action” DBMs. For example, I shoot a 284 Winchester. There isn’t any factory ammo available but plenty of premium brass since it is an F-class winner. I load 162 ELDs with a coal of 3.07. If I was to load 180 VLDs would be a coal slightly more than 3.2”. Since I need to load long; I must use a long action DBM. The 6.8 Western is designed to shoot a 175 grain high BC bullet in short action, common, production rifle magazines. That in itself is truly amazing.

People keep saying the 6.8 Western is dead when it is just starting to wake up and take off. Now we have premium brass in addition to Winchester brass. The support and the options are starting to snow ball for the 6.8 Western.

jgraff08

FNG
Welcome to Rokslide! There is no way The “Big Red” will ever support the 6.8 Western. No dies, no brass, no bullets and definitely no ammo. The honeymoon is over for the “cartridge that should not be named”. The way I see it, the 6.5 PRC is a very good thing, although the 6.5 x. 284 Norma will give it a run for the money. The 6.5 PRC came out in 2018. The 6.8 Western in 2021. The 7 PRC came out in 2023.

The truth is there are plenty of accepted 7 mm cartridges that will push a high BC bullet out to 1,000 yards and win money or drop an Elk in it’s tracks. So then I think the question that is frequently dodged or not even asked, is why did Big Red come out with the 7 PRC? The comparison between the 6.8 Western and the 7 PRC is really non-sequiter. The direct competition for the 6.5 PRC is the 6.8 Western. The comparison between the 6.8 West/ 6.5 PRC can be made since both are short action cartridges designed to shoot heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. The longest OAL of both cartridges loaded with the highest BC bullets for each caliber will fit in most common magazines that can feed a cartridge up to 3” in length. The heaviest bullets for the 6.5 PRC is the 147 ELDm which is loaded in factory ammo. The heaviest bullet for the 6.8 Western is the 175 game changer which is also loaded in factory ammunition.

The paradigm shift is away from last centuries long action cartridges to short action cartridges that will shoot the newer, higher BC bullets. That is a way to shoot heavy for caliber high BC bullets and still be within the 3.4” limitation of most factory “long action” DBMs. For example, I shoot a 284 Winchester. There isn’t any factory ammo available but plenty of premium brass since it is an F-class winner. I load 162 ELDs with a coal of 3.07. If I was to load 180 VLDs would be a coal slightly more than 3.2”. Since I need to load long; I must use a long action DBM. The 6.8 Western is designed to shoot a 175 grain high BC bullet in short action, common, production rifle magazines. That in itself is truly amazing.

People keep saying the 6.8 Western is dead when it is just starting to wake up and take off. Now we have premium brass in addition to Winchester brass. The support and the options are starting to snow ball for the 6.8 Western.
Theres enough of anything u can have and do what u want. I always like 270 wsm decided against it when I had to redecide the 6.8 was out so im going that way its really that simple