6.8 Western… Who’s shooting it?

It's funny you suggest rebarreling a 270 WSM, because that is EXACTLY what the 6.8 Western is. It's an updated version of the 270 WSM. Winchester/Browning took the case, inserted a longer, heavier for caliber bullet, throated it for the heavies, and tightened the twist. What you suggest is exactly what they did at the factory.
The 6.8 western is not exactly the same as the 270 wsm.
The parent case is the wsm but it's shortened by .080 which buys you virtually nothing for working better in a short action, but it does reduce the capacity to that of a 7 saum.
In the end you have a .277 caliber cartridge that falls right between the 270 win and 270 wsm, and with the 6.5 prc this cartridge brings nothing new to the table.

The faster twist and saami oal for non handloaders, is really being over advertised as the "new and improved" when really its just the same old reinvented wheel.
I haven't played with the case but I suspect something like a 170 Berger would probably still need custom throating to maximize performance.
A custom throated 8 twist 270 wsm is still going to be a better setup, especially if its a rebarreled Tikka.
Heck a fast twist boring old 270 win throated for 170s should match it ballisticaly

deerlick

FNG
If I was buying a new rifle right now I'd buy one just for the simple fact that you could stock up on ammo and actually shoot it

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
You see ammo for it everywhere because there are no rifles. I think if they actually made rifles chambered for this round people would buy the ammo and discover that it works as well as everything else we've been using. A few pop up on gunbroker and such but I haven't seen a single rifle in store anywhere.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got a 270 WSM and I have taken elk deer and antelope with it with 140 gr Accubonds, I guess I never saw the need to do more. In the current climate of ammo shortages, if I was in the market for 277 super mag o would definitely go with the 6.8 Western and buy up all the ammo I could! Around here it seems like 6.8 Western, 350 Legend, and 50 BMG, aside from 556 and 762, are the only things on the shelf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked one up in early October. It’s a browning xbolt hells canyon speed that popped up at my local shop and I couldn’t pass it up. I put a bushnell lrhs-2 on it and put two in the same hole and one just beside it when I zeroed it. Took it out today and hit steel out to 800 consistently with about a 15 mph wind. Shooting the browning factory 175 Sierras but would love to find some 165 accubond long range to see what they can do.