6PRC vs 6UM

There is a thread on 6 prc but i think only one or 2 guys here are using them. huntnful is one of them. I personally thought about a 6 prc since i have 6.5 dies/components but decided to stick with 6.5 again this time. I already have a wildcat in the works and one is enough for me right now

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The 6UM was designed to get the most out of an SA 6MM case.

The 6UM is 100+ FPS faster than the 6PRC.

The most significant advantage of the 6PRC is brass availability

B23

WKR
Anybody shooting 6PRC? Thoughts on it vs 6UM? I know 6UM is pushed hard on here, why it over 6PRC?
The 6 & 6.5 PRC are basically ballistic twins to the 6 & 6.5-284. The PRC needs a mag bolt face where as the 6-284 uses a standard bolt face but the PRC works better in a short action and the 6-284 needs an extended mag box to get the most out of it if used in a short action.

The 6UM is a necked down and "improved" SAUM case so the 6UM will have more case capacity and shoot the same bullet/s faster then the 6 PRC.

For me, the benefit to the 6PRC vs 6UM is the 6PRC is a straight neck down and you're good to go but the 6UM requires fireforming. Fireforming certainly isn't anything difficult but it is another step that has to be done and I find the older I get the less I enjoy extra steps.

Then there's the whole barrel life argument but I've never really been very concerned about barrel life so it's a moot point to me.

Arithson

FNG
The 6UM was designed to get the most out of an SA 6MM case.

The 6UM is 100+ FPS faster than the 6PRC.

The most significant advantage of the 6PRC is brass availability
Ryan, what happens if a guy necks down a 7 PRC to 6mm? Too much pressure? Just a thought I’ve had for brass availability

Axlrod

WKR
Ryan, what happens if a guy necks down a 7 PRC to 6mm? Too much pressure? Just a thought I’ve had for brass availability
Too much pressure comes from too much powder! ;)

Here is a thread on the 6/7 Prc