7mm-08

Mginn68

FNG
Good morning -

My oldest daughter will be taking my model 700 mnt rifle from me as her go to rifle. With that, I’m at a point I need to buy/build something new. I hunted with that rifle for 20 plus years.

I’m a weekender hand loader, so I’ve got a Barnes load that works well in that platform.

Trying to decide to stick with the 7mm-08 or get uncomfortable and try a 6.5. Just seeking some options and reasoning from this knowledgeable forum.

Thanks !

SteveALA

FNG
Classified Approved
Good morning. Welcome. I’m a 7-08 guy too. I have a Rem 700 in 7-08. Beautiful wood stock. I will never change or sell it. Living in the southeast it’s all the deer gun I need. However I’m building a 7-08 with a Terminus Zeus QC action and will have two barrels I can swap at my leisure. The other caliber will be 7 Sherman Short. Will be hand loading for both cals for that platform.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
Thanks. I’ll read up on your new build.

I had no plans of a new deer rifle, but my daughter has requested the “meat stick”. That’s the name of my 7mm-08.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
That would be a hard gun to give away, but if your daughter wants to have it, good excuse to buy another. My suggestion is to consider the same rifle in 280. Scope it the same and you will already be comfortable with it. Uses basically the same components for handloading, minus the powder. Another option is to buy a Model Seven in 7mm 08. You might get the meat stick back once she holds the Model Seven. I have the 280 / 7mm08 combo I mentioned and I carry them both. I usually alternate one for the other every year that I kill a buck or just if I think I need to change my luck that day. If I kept 2 rifles out of my collection, it would be those 2.

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
That would be a hard gun to give away, but if your daughter wants to have it, good excuse to buy another. My suggestion is to consider the same rifle in 280. Scope it the same and you will already be comfortable with it. Uses basically the same components for handloading, minus the powder. Another option is to buy a Model Seven in 7mm 08. You might get the meat stick back once she holds the Model Seven. I have the 280 / 7mm08 combo I mentioned and I carry them both. I usually alternate one for the other every year that I kill a buck or just if I think I need to change my luck that day. If I kept 2 rifles out of my collection, it would be those 2.
Good feedback. I’ve shouldered a model 7, but they are just to small for me. I’m 6’4 at 220 pounds. Ha. The mountain rifle is a good fit.

I load some .280 for my brother. Great round I agree 100%.

Plan to sell a few guns that I’m not using to fund the build - .257 Weatherby and a 7mm wsm.

As for glass, plan to get uncomfortable and move away from leupold. The meat stick has a VX5 HD on it. Thinking of moving towards a Swarovski Z5i. Decisions decisions. Ha

WCB

WKR
IMO if you went with the 6.5 it would just be to do something different. IMO zero advantage in going to the 6.5 as a hunting rifle and really no advantage at all for anything...marginally less recoil in the 6.5.

My opinion would be to stick with the 7mm-08. You already have good load data and components. Also, the 7mm-08 is simply a stellar cartridge!
Agreed.

I've been playing with .284 Win all year and it's just about convinced me that there isn't much the 7mm-08 can't do with less powder and less recoil. Like the 7x57 before it, it's a perfectly balanced cartridge.

My original plan was to use the .284 Win barrel for elk hunts and the 7mm-08 barrel for deer hunts, but damned if I can't get within 50 fps. of the .284 Win with my best 7mm-08 loads using 10-12 grains less powder and a little less recoil. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

CHansen

FNG
Of all the guns in my safe the 7mm-08 in my mtn ascent is the one I grab the most. Have taken Caribou and moose with it. Good compromise between ballistics and proven knock down.

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
INo reason to move from the 7mm-08. What make/model rifle are you going to replace it with?
Would really prefer to stay with a Remington mnt rifle. Very hard to find though.

Also, kicked around building a custom - Kauger action, bartlein barrel, etc. Mnt rifle style - 20” barrel

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
If you're invested and confident in 7-08, there is no reason to change, especially moving to 6.5cm. I think the novelty would wear off quickly for you.

You have a bunch of 7-08 empowerers right there!! Not that it's a bad choice by any stretch, but here's a converse opinion.

I'm a huge 7-08 fan. I currently own 5 of them. My Sako 75 Finnlight has killed more deer than any rifle I own. I love the cartridge. There's very little you can't do in North America with one. Accurate and a pleasure to shoot. What's not to like?

Then enter the 6.5 Creedmoor... I bought my first one 6 years ago and it's become quite enamoring itself. It's actually more inherently accurate, and it's almost hard to find loads that don't shoot pretty dang well right from the go. I've now taken 3 elk with Creedmoors, as well as quite a few deer. I started down the path with the Creedmoor as a competition rifle, and enjoyed it so much I got my first hunting rifle in one, and I haven't looked back. I'm not quite sure how many I own at this point, but it's 6 or 7 for sure.

Not trying to say it's better than a 7-08 in any way whatsoever!! They're actually pretty similar in my opinion. Both do really well with 120-140 grain bullets, have a very similar recoil impulse, and are easy to load for. My only addition to those posts above is that sometimes it IS fun to play with something new and different, and that's what got me playing with the Creedmoors.

And notice I never said I don't have or don't use those 7-08's anymore either... They will never leave my possession until I'm taking a long dirt nap.

I would stick with the 7mm-08 especially if you have a proven load. I have had great success using a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle SS with Barnes 120 grain bullets.