7saum popularity?

carter33

WKR
i looked at the lrx and planned to shoot them in my 300wm, but the bc in those eldx are too much to pass up! How long until you’re build is done? I’d love to hear some speed results. I really want a 20” barrel but I’d like to stay in the 2800+ range on the 175 eldx. Not sure I can get there with a 20”.

Unfortunately it probably won’t be done until late May timeframe. I went with some pretty popular parts.
-defiance anTi X short action
-XLR magnesium chassis (will be a first for me)
-20” proof carbon
-bix n Andy trigger
-NF NX8 2.5-20 unless something new comes out here soon that would be a better fit

As far as the bullets I have been using the 143eldx out of my 6.5PRC and was able to take 2 caribou and a mountain goat this last year. I had great results on 2 out of the three with one of the caribou leaving me a little bewildered. I can expound on that if you want and I wouldn’t necessarily write that bullet off though. I think a heavier eldx may do an even better job at not over expanding especially at the MV you are thinking. But with moose and interior grizzly on the table I think the more guaranteed penetration with a mono metal is probably a good choice for my situation. I hear ya on the high BCs though, I have been following that trend the last couple years also.

carter33

WKR
4275f20a32f66072f01df9d2e592d5ae.jpg

I think you’ll like the SAUM, do yourself a favor and build on a medium action!

Mine likes H1000 and Berger 180s at 2800fps. Gonna try some PVA 170 Cayugas when I get time.

Lone Peak Fuzion Ti
Manners EH1
Trigger tech
Proof Sendero 22”
Hawkins bottom metal and brake

Usually shooting through a TBAC ultra 7 and topped it with a NF NX8 2.5-20

I disagree that the following of the 7 SAUM is due to marketing, as there sure aren’t any factory options really anymore, so certainly no one marketing them, they’re all customs. The hype comes from the easy load development, near 7 rem mag performance (better in my opinion) and for me the ability to shoot the 180s at a decent speed out of a short barrel. Is it a 28 nosler? No, but it uses a lot less powder, with less recoil. If I didn’t reload though, I wouldn’t get one : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think the medium action is only a benefit if shooting heavy/long for caliber bullets like you are? My build details should be in the post above this and I am doing a short action but plan on shooting light mono metal bullets.

Any chance you have a carbon ring? Pressures and speeding up would make me want to check for one.

Rifle has maybe 40 rounds on it since the last time I cleaned and looked for a carbon ring. There wasn’t one then.

deadwolf

WKR
Do you think the medium action is only a benefit if shooting heavy/long for caliber bullets like you are? My build details should be in the post above this and I am doing a short action but plan on shooting light mono metal bullets.

If you’re looking to stick to light bullets then the short action should do the trick. But why not give yourself the options of the medium if you’re going to build anyway? I wanted to shoot 170-180s to take advantage of the high BCs

A short action should be just fine for 145 LRX, and probably hammers (i'm not that familiar with them). It would be a bit short for a 145 CEB Lazer though.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Seems like the advantage of that gun is the high bc bullets. If you’re building it custom why limit yourself? Not many advantages to a SA. The gun is already going to be ridiculously light in your setup! I’m jealous of your components!!!

carter33

WKR
Seems like the advantage of that gun is the high bc bullets. If you’re building it custom why limit yourself? Not many advantages to a SA. The gun is already going to be ridiculously light in your setup! I’m jealous of your components!!!

I definitely understand the high BC advantage argument and I love shooting long range on steel but I just don’t ever see myself shooting past 600yds on game and just feel more comfortable with mono metal bullets if I am going to use it for moose or bear. I think the 7saum is kinda the lower end of what I feel comfortable with in those situations after using a 6.5PRC for a while.

Also the XLR magnesium chassis can only be had in short or long action, not in medium yet. Which I guess made my choice fairly easy. I suppose the only advantage is weight on the short action which is important to me but the difference in the anTi actions between short and medium is negligible even to me. This rifle will probably come along on goat hunts and maybe even sheep as well which is why I’m trying to keep it compact and light both. Kinda a do it all rifle.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I am building one right now and I am stock shopping and talked to them for a while yesterday

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I also ordered a mag to shorten only 10 rounders available right now I’m going to shorten to 3 or 4 rounds

carter33

WKR
@Phil j
Interesting to hear, I figured they would make them available at some point, just checked the website still doesn’t show em, must’ve called at the right time. As for the mags, they are AICS so should be able get a variety aftermarket also.

Edit: if it’s a rem clone the AICS will work

Last edited:
Mine likes H1000 and Berger 180s at 2800fps. Gonna try some PVA 170 Cayugas when I get time.

The hype comes from the easy load development, near 7 rem mag performance (better in my opinion) and for me the ability to shoot the 180s at a decent speed out of a short barrel.

I tried the Cayuga in my 7 wsm and the BC is total BS, I dropped it down to .64 to match my drop, and that was sending them 3000 fps in an 8 twist barrel.
The saum is a sweet little round but it'll never match a 7 rm or wsm.
My 7 wsm is getting 3000 fps in a 22" barrel with 175s, and up to 2900 with 195's

deadwolf

WKR
I tried the Cayuga in my 7 wsm and the BC is total BS, I dropped it down to .64 to match my drop, and that was sending them 3000 fps in an 8 twist barrel.
The saum is a sweet little round but it'll never match a 7 rm or wsm.
My 7 wsm is getting 3000 fps in a 22" barrel with 175s, and up to 2900 with 195's

Interesting to hear about the Cayugas, though not good news for sure : )

In terms of 7 saum, wsm, and Rem mag...I think there are various levels of good, better, best when it comes to powder used, bullets used, barrel length, action length, and freebore. To flat out say one is better than another is too misleading as there are too many variables. I like the neck length and ease of load development in the SAUM so far, but I haven’t ever messed with the WSM. Also having a medium action allows the bullets seated out further increasing powder capacity. If I was trying to squeeze more velocity I woulda went with a longer barrel, but I wanted light and short, and to run it suppressed.

I didn’t read all of the previous posts. I built a 7 Saum this year because I wanted a 7mm rifle and ADG made brass for it. Premium brass was basically the deciding factor.

After putting the whole package together it was the easiest load development I’ve ever done. Shoots 175 ELDx like a dream over H4350. Looking forward to shooting a sheep with this in August!

Barrel length / load data? Short or Long action?

fatbacks

WKR
Getting 2730 FPS out of a 24” barrel. COAL of 2.995”. Could’ve gone way hotter but this just shot so well

I am gonna do load development with the 145 LRX loaded to a shorter COAL. When I load to the max length of the Wyatt’s box it doesn’t seem to load the cartridge as smoothly in my SA length action.