7saum popularity?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just so everyone knows... We will be offering the Element MG chassis cut for the Defiance XM Inlet. It is not on the website yet and will not be officially released until end of January if not into February. If you want to get one on pre-order just give us a call. Lead time will be 10-16 weeks on just about all element inlets at this time.

BBob

WKR
Just so everyone knows... We will be offering the Element MG chassis cut for the Defiance XM Inlet. It is not on the website yet and will not be officially released until end of January if not into February. If you want to get one on pre-order just give us a call. Lead time will be 10-16 weeks on just about all element inlets at this time.
What magazines will be available?

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Only magazines I found available are 10 rounders I’ve got one on order to try to cut down to make a three rounder

BBob

WKR
Only magazines I found available are 10 rounders I’ve got one on order to try to cut down to make a three rounder
In AZ 10 round isn't legal for a hunt rifle, 5 round max capacity here. Please post up how you make out with shortening yours.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In AZ 10 round isn't legal for a hunt rifle, 5 round max capacity here. Please post up how you make out with shortening yours.
This is defiantly the biggest draw back on the XM action. There is only 1 magazine available. We have discussed this with Defiance and they stated they are looking at getting more options made. We have also talked with a magazine manufacture that will be getting into the AICS pattern magazine market later this year and recommended they manufacture a polymer 3 or 5 round magazine. both for weight and size. those 10 round XM magazines are quite large...

Throat (or freebore) is more a matter of bullet bearing surface length than it is overall bullet length. The thought is you want bullets seated with bearing surface starting in front of the neck/shoulder junction. I'm not familiar with 168 LRX but there's a good chance you would want a LONGER throat for that then you would a berger which typically have longer noses and shorter bearing surfaces.

My SAUM is throated for 175 ELDx and in turn is a little longer throated than ideal for 180 hybrids or 175 elite hunters because the ELDs have longer bearing surfaces. In testing seating depth with copper 145 cutting edge lazers, the long freebore seems like it will work well.
The 175 lrx is about the same length as the 195 berger, its really long and has a long bearing surface

The reamer i have is .171 free bore i believe without looking this pic is ..020 off the lands with 175 berger elite

Attachments

• 20200928_161804.jpg
    20200928_161804.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 76
Unfortunately it probably won’t be done until late May timeframe. I went with some pretty popular parts.
-defiance anTi X short action
-XLR magnesium chassis (will be a first for me)
-20” proof carbon
-bix n Andy trigger
-NF NX8 2.5-20 unless something new comes out here soon that would be a better fit

As far as the bullets I have been using the 143eldx out of my 6.5PRC and was able to take 2 caribou and a mountain goat this last year. I had great results on 2 out of the three with one of the caribou leaving me a little bewildered. I can expound on that if you want and I wouldn’t necessarily write that bullet off though. I think a heavier eldx may do an even better job at not over expanding especially at the MV you are thinking. But with moose and interior grizzly on the table I think the more guaranteed penetration with a mono metal is probably a good choice for my situation. I hear ya on the high BCs though, I have been following that trend the last couple years also.
Who’s doing your barreled action build? I’m doing pretty much the same but with a trigger tech...still teetering on the scope too, but leaning nx8 or mark5.

I went a little unpopular on the bullet route and having mine throated for the 162 ELDX. I have seen that bullet in a 280ai kill multiple deer, caribou, and elk. Hoping the 20” barrel and the little lighter bullet will let me get to close to 2900fps

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Who’s doing your barreled action build? I’m doing pretty much the same but with a trigger tech...still teetering on the scope too, but leaning nx8 or mark5.

I went a little unpopular on the bullet route and having mine throated for the 162 ELDX. I have seen that bullet in a 280ai kill multiple deer, caribou, and elk. Hoping the 20” barrel and the little lighter bullet will let me get to close to 2900fps
Who is everyone getting their barrels through that will throat them? Carbon 6 won’t do a custom throat. .090 is how they come.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Straight jacket is doing my prefit and they will do different throats. I got my xm mag today that 10 round mag is huge definitely need to cut it to 3 or 4 .

Who is everyone getting their barrels through that will throat them? Carbon 6 won’t do a custom throat. .090 is how they come.

Most smiths will custom throat them or rent a reamer if they dont have one with the throat you want. Both are additional charges. Might be a good idea to just ask which reamers they carry. Hells canyon armory carries one with 0.190” freebore. For most cartridges I ask neck diameter and freebore length. don’t want to end up with a tight neck and adg necks are thicker than r-p or Norma brass. I think there is a bunch of .317”ish neck reamers out there and that’s no bueno for adg brass but a saami neck is about right.

Last edited:
Most 7 saum's are pretty easy to develop a load for seem to shoot anything well . Playing with other pills for next year may switch from the Berger's . They shoot great but leaning toward something that holds together better its easy to get hung up on chasing bug holes . Broke the rifle in and shot a 3 shot at 400 .

Attachments

• 20200929_082644.jpg
    20200929_082644.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 64

carter33

WKR

I am having Dallas Lane of Lane Precision put it all together. I had him build my 6.5PRC and the quality was top notch. I have the bix n Andy in that rifle also, it has held up in some pretty terrible weather from constant rain to -20°F on my last winter caribou hunt. I was considering the trigger tech diamond also and have one on my vudoo .22, both are great triggers and feel about the same but the bix n Andy is just more proven in my personal experience since the .22 doesn’t see much hard wear and tear.

I had the same thoughts going with a little lighter bullet with the short barrel to keep the MV a little higher. A short barrel in the XLR is gonna make a sweet backpacking setup I think.

I am having Dallas Lane of Lane Precision put it all together. I had him build my 6.5PRC and the quality was top notch. I have the bix n Andy in that rifle also, it has held up in some pretty terrible weather from constant rain to -20°F on my last winter caribou hunt. I was considering the trigger tech diamond also and have one on my vudoo .22, both are great triggers and feel about the same but the bix n Andy is just more proven in my personal experience since the .22 doesn’t see much hard wear and tear.

I had the same thoughts going with a little lighter bullet with the short barrel to keep the MV a little higher. A short barrel in the XLR is gonna make a sweet backpacking setup I think.
Well there you go. Dallas Lane is building mine too. I’m sure we’ll both be pleased, just hate the wait!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No, Arizona eliminated the magazine limit a while ago... straight from the reg book.

Screenshot_20210126-152835_Drive.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds good. mine is a 22" carbon tikka that used to be a 300wm.

Note that the WSM/SAUM cases are fatter than WM cases so the long action magazines don't work without modification. I use the hells canyon mag rather than messing with the factory one.

AG alpine hunter > Mesa precision altitude.
What is the bullet and muzzle velocity tou are getting out of the 22"?

What is the bullet and muzzle velocity tou are getting out of the 22"?

175 ELDx. Was in the low 2800s but sped up to around 2850-60 with round count in the mid 200s and was running too hot at that speed over H1000. I'm going to change directions with load though as i'm not thrilled with it thus far. Next on the menu is 145 lazers / H4350 and 175 EH / H4831.