A hard lesson to learn on shot placement and waiting.

LostArra

WKR
I didn't see the arrow impact,

This is such a common problem with no real solution and with slow compounds like mine or my recurve, seeing the arrow hit and believing it was in one location (vitals?) when , in fact, it hit in another.

torowy

FNG
That fat is weird. I am having a hard time thinking of where the arrow hit. Elk are tough though. I lost one 2 years ago. Had good frothy lung blood. Rain started and washed away the trail. I still have nightmare about it.

KHNC

WKR
Aw geez, that experience sucks. Hind sight and speculation on what if scenarios are always so clear but when the adrenaline in pumping and we feel urgency in getting our harvest out as humanely, cleanly, and efficiently as possible sometimes situtational clarity is lost. I don't know how many bow hunters share similar stories with me. Two weeks ago a Mule deer archer had a very similar experience as you - arrow went right through, trace tissues and blood on shaft etc, but buck disappeared.
My "advice" is rifle hunt for quick, clean, humane kills - odds of searching for a wounded animal are lessened as hydrostatic shock accounts for a lot more than most hunters want to admit. So sorry for that experience, as often bulls opportunities are so limited. Best of luck finding him in the coming days.
Your "advice" is to rifle hunt? Really? There are so many things about archery season that makes the experience 10x better than rifle. Im not even going to get started on this. Besides the obvious giving up a rut hunt, best part about elk season.

cgasner1

WKR
Your "advice" is to rifle hunt? Really? There are so many things about archery season that makes the experience 10x better than rifle. Im not even going to get started on this. Besides the obvious giving up a rut hunt, best part about elk season.

Was also my thought wonder how many guys don’t look because they thought they missed when a bull sucks up a few shots and wonders out of sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who's a bowhunter knows this feeling and it's not a good one.

Just know that you did everything you could to try and recover the animal. Good luck to you the rest of the season.

KHNC

WKR
Was also my thought wonder how many guys don’t look because they thought they missed when a bull sucks up a few shots and wonders out of sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree! Just had a buddy kill a Goat in BC last week. He shot it 4 times with a 300 Mag! Said it just stood there after the first two. Hit it good all 4 shots. I know elk can do the same sometimes. Especially on a long shot, i bet some dont even bother to walk 500 yds to check it if it doesnt drop.