A Zone Chatter 2020

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks, that's always a question of whether I should even spend time looking at the distant places where stalking is darn near impossible. We do tend to hang in a couple drainages but even there feel I need to glass my ass off to not miss them. My buddy had a couple seconds view of the 3x3 before it passed behind a small finger amidst the trees.

Interestingly, we jumped 3 nice bucks amidst the burn last year where we didn't expect they'd settle down for the day in the 100 degree heat. The new growth is tall enough now through they seem to get enough shade and it's hard to spot them in it. Wondered if maybe they bed there as more likely they'd hear a mountain lion coming in all those dry branches...?

Are you guys seeing acorns dropping yet? How does a dry year effect the drop (earlier?) ?

Just saw a couple green ones around. My buck last year had his whole throat and stomach full of them, so gives a nice indication of where they like to eat when dropping.

The deer don’t wait for the oaknuts to drop... I wish I had a video of last time I went out a couple Sundays ago. Three bucks went up onto their hind legs eating off of the lower hanging branches of the oak trees for about 30 minutes straight before feeding out into the long grass.

Setting up on trees with low hanging branches where you’ve seen sign is a good strategy. See the photo below. I‘ve seen 4 legal bucks in just two sits at this small spot. All of them fed on these low hanging branches.

5195FDEB-2654-4624-B0B5-C2AC7353C1F6.jpeg

Will give it a shot tonight. We've been meaning to try a new glassing spot from the opposite ridge of where I shot mine last year, as it looks onto the oaks side in a new angle. Also much cooler today at just high 80's/low 90's. Funny how that seems down right chilly and mild now.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Was chilly this morning after sweaty hike in. Saw 13 deer and a new buck. Didn’t see yesterday’s buck before smoke rolled in too thick to shoot had I seen him.
Two does were prepping for rut, chasing each other around wildly, about ran me over. Winded me at about 10yds and turned a180. Those does and this buck were hanging and feeding where I walked in. Didn’t see any reaction to my scent. Buck walked downhill towards me on my trail and bedded in steep wash 100yds away. Tried to sneak out without bumping him but as soon as I stood up to put pack on he saw me and was outta there. Still could have killed him making his exit if I wanted him. Had him dead to rights as photo shows. Btw this was noontime again. Same as yesterday’s buck. Only does n fawns from daylight til noon.
D9DC54F2-F8A1-48DB-9E3E-5170653B45A8.png

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Cache creek area is closed. Parking lots are closed off. Lwb is under control of army coe. Looked like their base station was there. Not sure if they’re gonna do floating bridge again to get equipment back to fire. They’ve done that in the past.
Anyway I hope nobody tries to go tomorrow morning and finds the signs and closures like I did.

I got my ass kicked for 3 days near Coalinga then went up north to Mendo and got my ass kicked there. 108 degrees was average day time temp. Bucks aren't moving in that heat. Then I come back to my house to lick my wounds and I get evacuated because of the fire burning threw the Santa Cruz Mts. I'm writing this on day 5 in a hotel because they won't let us go home. 2020 just keeps trying to outdo itself! Just running up the score at this point ...

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Cache creek area is closed. Parking lots are closed off. Lwb is under control of army coe. Looked like their base station was there. Not sure if they’re gonna do floating bridge again to get equipment back to fire. They’ve done that in the past.
Anyway I hope nobody tries to go tomorrow morning and finds the signs and closures like I did.

I got my ass kicked for 3 days near Coalinga then went up north to Mendo and got my ass kicked there. 108 degrees was average day time temp. Bucks aren't moving in that heat. Then I come back to my house to lick my wounds and I get evacuated because of the fire burning threw the Santa Cruz Mts. I'm writing this on day 5 in a hotel because they won't let us go home. 2020 just keeps trying to outdo itself! Just running up the score at this point ...
That sucks. I hope your home is OK. I've got some friends who've lost theirs. Gone. Back to square 1. Pretty big punch in the gut to absorb.

Got out a few days ago in pm to a new spot that could glass really well onto a hillside of oaks and grasses, then low and behold I catch a glimpse of movement out of my right eye and see a buck skirt quickly around the edge of a saddle into the thick burn (think from 2014 fires) hillside just 70 yards below where my buddy is glassing from.

Damn that burn is hard to glass into as I never got another glimpse of him, though my buddy saw him when trying to cover an exit route for him.

At least it confirms they're there near where we found a few sets of sheds earlier this year.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Sooo smoky today. Too smoky.
Keep hearing what I swear is a sheep or goat but then I think it’s a bear or cat. It’s very strange and I cannot see it because it’s all the way in the bottom of the canyon. Been waitingfor it to moveup into view for a few hours now. It’s moved a little bit along the creek bottom but very little. Wondering if it’s lost bear cub or something.
I also heard a domestic dog barking down that way early but seemed to be farther away than this. With the fire and whatnot I’m puzzled at where these sounds are coming from. No vehicles at parking spot. Wondering if someone is maybe hunting in from another location with pack goats and a dog... idk. Trying to put it together for in my head as I type this.

Last edited:

calvb1

FNG
It'll be intersting to see what end up burning through Cache Creek Wilderness. I was lucky enough to get my buck out of there first week and the land was looking in great ciondition for deer habitat.
Stay safe all.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Yeah the deer and deer habitat were both looking really good this year all around. Bummer that so much has burned on us.
Fire is great for deer, deer habitat and their browse. I’m not bummed at all. Awaiting the next few seasons as I’ve got new country to cover.
I actually didn’t even hunt last evening, just sat roadside and watched it burn up the spot my son killed his buck.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Fire is great for deer, deer habitat and their browse. I’m not bummed at all. Awaiting the next few seasons as I’ve got new country to cover.
In general. This is correct. But this fire was different where I hunt A zone. It’s burned miles and miles in most of my favorite spots, it’s likely to have hit the the herds very hard. Also most of the cover and food sources are completely scorched or burned down. Most of the oaks were in their prime oaknut years (not too young and not too old). The majority of them are gone now.

This fire moved 100 yards per second at its peak. It’s completely obliterated enormous chunks of habitat that takes decades to recover from. Some spots may not hold deer now for another 50 years. I’m all about finding new spots and enjoy it, but man the deer were sure looking good the last two years and now it’s a wasteland as far as the eye can see.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
In general. This is correct. But this fire was different where I hunt A zone. It’s burned miles and miles in most of my favorite spots, it’s likely to have hit the the herds very hard. Also most of the cover and food sources are completely scorched or burned down. Most of the oaks were in their prime oaknut years (not too young and not too old). The majority of them are gone now.

This fire moved 100 yards per second at its peak. It’s completely obliterated enormous chunks of habitat that takes decades to recover from. Some spots may not hold deer now for another 50 years. I’m all about finding new spots and enjoy it, but man the deer were sure looking good the last two years and now it’s a wasteland as far as the eye can see.
Sounds like you’re taking it harder than the deer.

My hunt area burned 4/5 yrs ago and would benefit from another. The deer never left. I even killed one in the “wasteland” same year it burned.

They love the ash, they roll in it to get rid of the fleas and ticks.

Are you saying the deer are going to be killed by the fire when u say “hit herd hard”?

DECBCB2C-B303-479D-93A1-D72FDB4A7708.jpeg9C5E511C-DF54-4213-8ABB-C6E5C691A601.jpeg

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
It'll be intersting to see what end up burning through Cache Creek Wilderness. I was lucky enough to get my buck out of there first week and the land was looking in great ciondition for deer habitat.
Stay safe all.
They have dozers in off 20 already.

calvb1

FNG
I actually didn’t even hunt last evening, just sat roadside and watched it burn up the spot my son killed his buck.

True in the long run but often creates a few years lag as the deer move back in to the area, food sources return, and then these factors have a uptick in breeding and quality of animal.

A-zone north is already not a lot of public land so its a bummer when large sections become less hunt-able for a few years.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
True in the long run but often creates a few years lag as the deer move back in to the area, food sources return, and then these factors have a uptick in breeding and quality of animal.

A-zone north is already not a lot of public land so its a bummer when large sections become less hunt-able for a few years.
A few years lag? You’ll see fresh shoots before the season even ends.
The hmongs will hit these areas super hard for the first two or three seasons until they can’t see over the brush anymore, then they are on to the next burn.
Sometimes I’m glad guys have conflicting opinions of things, keeps them out of the woods. Makes for less crowded public lands.