B Zone Chatter 2020

MeatBuck

WKR
Share your 2020 B zone experiences, trials, tribulations, field photos, frustrations and the like right here for the rest of us to see/hear, have a laugh at or even give some words of encouragement, etc.

Just remember we do have a thread for sharing blacktail successes, this ones just for the general talk.

Tobias

FNG
Really wish I could’ve gotten out all day in the rain yesterday. Stalking conditions were good aside from tricky wind. Found a really nice buck late afternoon. After a long stalk I still wasn’t able to get within range before light ran out. Had to have been this guy. A321B391-19F5-47E2-9B4B-51EA436BF94F.jpeg

Tobias

FNG
F8426876-5583-4F60-80B4-5849364ABDDE.jpeg
One more pic just for fun. I’ve seen these guys at dusk a few times now, but from about 11 am- 6 or 7 it’s been super quiet. Broke out the tree stand yesterday and could’ve hammered some squirrels

JNDEER

WKR
For those that don’t know souther B zone is on serious fire. Many maps are not being updated to show all the fires across all the main roads and NO one is there to fight them or set lines.

JNDEER

WKR
Really wish I could’ve gotten out all day in the rain yesterday. Stalking conditions were good aside from tricky wind. Found a really nice buck late afternoon. After a long stalk I still wasn’t able to get within range before light ran out. Had to have been this guy. View attachment 207698

that’s a beautiful blacktail. Too many I have found with really weak backs. What made you put a camera right there? Are there old trails just not showing up on the cam?

Tobias

FNG
that’s a beautiful blacktail. Too many I have found with really weak backs. What made you put a camera right there? Are there old trails just not showing up on the cam?

Yep, intersection of a few trails. Deer on the right is standing on one and the big guy is headed down a major trail towards a big meadow. What do you mean by weak backs?

I think parts of northern B zones will also be burning shortly if they weren't able to get to all the strikes from yesterday.

JNDEER

WKR
Yep, intersection of a few trails. Deer on the right is standing on one and the big guy is headed down a major trail towards a big meadow. What do you mean by weak backs?

I think parts of northern B zones will also be burning shortly if they weren't able to get to all the strikes from yesterday.

interesting- headed to a meadow, don’t see that too often. Good luck getting him.

MB nailed it. Back forks are smaller than front forks. See this is many blacktails up and down B.

Tobias

FNG
interesting- headed to a meadow, don’t see that too often. Good luck getting him.

MB nailed it. Back forks are smaller than front forks. See this is many blacktails up and down B.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. We’ll see about the big guy. Once the velvet is off I suspect I won’t see too much of him

Spent a few days for opened up in the Alps. Got a thunderstorm, small bit of rain, a tent flattening type of windy day and another thunderstorm. Only saw a 2 pointer, but it was wide. Maybe I’ll get back out there before rifle, but not super confident on that!

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pretty good 4 point scoped out that I have found a couple times in velvet, but haven't seen in over a week now. Hoping he is at least hanging in the same area, even if his pattern may have changed. No pictures as I have only seen him from a ways off and haven't wanted to move in and possibly spook him. He has no fewer than six spikes and tiny forks with him last I saw, so he has a lot of eyes keeping him safe!

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Planned on spending 3 days in the Yolla Bollys. Got chased out by a thunderstorm on Monday morning. Good thing I bailed. I read that at least 20 fires started in that area that day. Came home to Vacaville....and well that didn't go well either. We were evacuated, but aside from ash over everything, we fared a LOT better than several of our friends.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Spent some time in the Yollas myself. Still searching for my first archery deer and got to climb 1700 feet hoping a little forkie showed up in the same mountainside I'd seen him on for 2 days. He didn't get the memo. New to bowhunting so I'll take anything I can get at this point. The thunderstorm was fun though. Also got to watch a momma bear with 2 cubs for an hour or so. Can't wait til the fires are out to get back out there.

Buffalo

FNG
I too went into the alps. Saw two nice bucks Friday but they disappeared for the weekend.

Tobias

FNG
Now that I look at it, that might be a fork my camera turned into a 4x. Either way my freezer is way too light