Advice on a backcountry dog

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure I will get some shit for this, but what about a pitbull? Mine does everything I've ever ask and then some. Keeps people away and is a great puller.

The dogs go with me when we hunt. They often know when game is near before I do. Dogs are incredibly smart in all senses.

View attachment 30879

View attachment 30880

Skeeter's my boy, but he's a heeler...so we dont hold that against him when he nips and bites. But he loves to eat everything except griz meat!

Is he a heeler/lab cross? How big is he? I'm guessing mine will get around 40-45 pounds

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We found Skeeter online in MT and had the shelter put him on a flight to AK about 7 years ago. We're told he is a Heeler/Lab mix. He weighed 38-lbs when he arrived. We thought he was fat then, but the boy is just rock solid at 42-lbs. When he hones in the neighbor's cat food bowl for a week without my strict observation...well, he tips the scale at around 45-lbs. He's only about 16" tall, but he can climb vertical terrain, ski jor 25 miles, eat and sleep, and then repeat every other day.

And man does he love to snuggle!

View attachment 30887

But Chachi is the real mountain dog. She would rather be in the high country with all the ground squirrels, sheep, and caribou. Her heart rate slows down and she is in her element for sure. Top speed bursts of 27 mph with me behind her on a skis, sustained 18-mph for tens of miles. Incredible endurance for a 4-breed mut. She has caught and eaten squirrels, voles, chickens, ptarmigan, turkey, song birds, and rabbit, that we know of for certain.

But she prefers to chase caribou.

View attachment 30888

View attachment 30889

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's a video i posted a couple years ago. I repost it here for you to see how our dogs behave around big animals in the wild, and whitewater rafting.

[video=youtube;PADNf1C0Azs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADNf1C0Azs[/video]

Hope you get a dog you respect and enjoy.

OP
T

tater

WKR
Im sure I will get some shit for this, but what about a pitbull? Mine does everything I've ever ask and then some. Keeps people away and is a great puller.

I had a Pitty once. Wonderful dog. But a SERIOUS underachiever. Anything that didn't involve snacks or snuggles weren't his bag. Admittedly, he came to us as a five year old, but i chuckle when i try to picture what he would have been like in the high country.
He was a great companion though.

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Pitty once. Wonderful dog. But a SERIOUS underachiever. Anything that didn't involve snacks or snuggles weren't his bag. Admittedly, he came to us as a five year old, but i chuckle when i try to picture what he would have been like in the high country.
He was a great companion though.
The great thing is I've never seen him back down and he's dumb enough to try anything alot of times. He's a great companion and also like you said I am never cold when he's with me cause he will cuddle with you so bad it's ridiculous. uploadfromtaptalk1448033657306.jpg

fastrr

FNG
I have a 75lb Black Lab that has been a great back country dog. Carries his own food and water, doesn't like when I take breaks as he wants to keep moving. A regular to Bear country and been in a stare down with a black bear at 50 feet. Never breaks unless i let him, knows how to heel at my side during stalks and will lay down and wait for while I close the gap. Great dog! The only bad thing about him is that he is getting old, but heck, so am I.

boom

WKR
all dogs are cool!!

best one i've seen was a full size standard poodle. this thing didnt mind getting dirty..smart as a whip, and very obedient. we went on a hike and all the bird dogs of the group seemed like a bunch of teenagers by comparision. all amped up, ranging back and forth..that endless energy thing a bird dog has. that poodle just trotted along with style. my friend clipped the dog down short for the trip.

me, my wife adopted a terrier mix. fearless. we got him when he was a senior citizen, but you couldnt tell. he would just charge up hills next to us..in the end, i would carry him most of the time..thank goodness he was light. we leave a slot in the tent for him and he would just push in and find my wife's sleeping bag. RIP harry. i miss the curmudgeon.

i think just find a dog..worry about the breed less unless you need a specific purpose..like fetching ducks.

boom

WKR
i forget..we took a horse trip in . 15 miles!! the entire time a tiny white maltese followed up. 15 miles!!! this is house dog breed..tiny. a toy dog. this dog was amazing. just ran with us on horses. the owner did pick him up for a river crossing. i have a pic somewhere. when they dumped us in the back country..i can only assume that dog did the 15 miles back!! i dont know, i didnt ask. crazy dog.

GLB

WKR
Big fan of the Blue Heelers. They are very intelligent and make a great trail partner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 96

Greg Beck

WKR
Lot of breeds seem like they would suit your needs, but our labs have handled everything we have thrown at them.

Able to carry their food for 10 days....

Up for anything...

Will protect camp from vermin...

Can even retrieve if called upon to do so...

And flush and retrieve game...

Love it!!! Lab is my choice of dog any time any day!!! Great dogs!!

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
Admittedly, I just scanned most of the responses so I might be repeating an answer, but I strongly believe a rescue mutt is your best answer. I have a Shepard dominant Heinz 57 rescue mutt that loves the backcountry as much as I do. He is a boulder hopping, deadfall negotiating, horn finding machine. He is big enough (80 lbs.) to carry his own food in and my camp trash out for most of my adventures. With most mutts you bypass the hereditary physical issues that pure breds predominately possess and their loyalty and personality is second to none.
Cool question and conversation thread.

charvey9

WKR
We owned many different breeds growing up within the immediate family. Lots of hunting breeds from labs, springers, beagles, setters, gsp and even some other large breeds like boxers, a dalmation, and a St. Bernard. After it all, my vote goes to Golden Retrievers. The three Golden Retrievers we have had were also the best.

Although there is no actual breed distinction between long-haired and short-haired goldens, you'd be surprised at the different genetics found within the breed. You are probably used to seeing a typical teddy bear like shaggy long haired retriever in pictures, but the dogs bred more for sporting/hunting purposes tend to have hair that is much on the shorter side. My current golding falls in this category.

They are exremely loyal and smart. Of all the dogs we've had, the Goldens are the only ones that you did not have to worry about getting out and running off. They are just happy to be close, and great companions in the woods. They have an extemely high tollerance for pain, which is what makes them cold weather retrievers.

Bowman goes with me everywhere:

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
I was amazed until Charvey chimed in that no body has mentioned Goldens in this conversation. I totally agree with him and with roughly the same sample variety growing up of different breeds. I will throw in labs a close second but have to admit Goldens meet my needs perfectly. Extremely friendly and loyal and never wander far they are the perfect back country companion. Of course like most mentioned you get out what you put into everything in life and your dog is no different. Besides hunting season I don't enter the woods without them and they know when I'm going into the woods.

Whisky

WKR
We owned many different breeds growing up within the immediate family. Lots of hunting breeds from labs, springers, beagles, setters, gsp and even some other large breeds like boxers, a dalmation, and a St. Bernard. After it all, my vote goes to Golden Retrievers. The three Golden Retrievers we have had were also the best.

Although there is no actual breed distinction between long-haired and short-haired goldens, you'd be surprised at the different genetics found within the breed. You are probably used to seeing a typical teddy bear like shaggy long haired retriever in pictures, but the dogs bred more for sporting/hunting purposes tend to have hair that is much on the shorter side. My current golding falls in this category.

They are exremely loyal and smart. Of all the dogs we've had, the Goldens are the only ones that you did not have to worry about getting out and running off. They are just happy to be close, and great companions in the woods. They have an extemely high tollerance for pain, which is what makes them cold weather retrievers.

Bowman goes with me everywhere:

Awesome pictures. And dog.....what's your secret to the pictures.

I was in MT for a rifle hunt and one guy had a lab that went with him every where. I have a lab for bird hunting but the thought of bringing him on a big game hunt makes me cringe. Next dog I'd like to start em out right and get into that.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me and you were wanting a dog with a decent gas tank, not much in the way of hip and knee/elbow issues I'd look at a well bred Dutch Shepherd. I'd look the other way at the large "american" bred Labs and more of a OFA'd English bred version. German Wirehair would be a good dog. I really like Jack Russel Terrorists, but they can be head strong and may be more confrontational than they are worth in the back country. I'd also take into consideration what sort of burrs and stickers you'd be dealing with in a med-long coat dog, but also need something with a good insulating coat for winters in the north country. Healers, Setters, Retrievers, GWP, or a Labradoodle (i've seen a lot of great ones).

husky390

WKR
Sorry for your loss.

I'd go with a retriever (Lab, Golden or Chesapeake) or Heeler. My lab was awesome, phenomenal with kids yet was protective of my wife, the golden I had growing up was tough as nails and fearless (had to pull cholla cactus and porcupine quills from her face without a whimper from her). Heelers, I've never owned them but have been around them and have always been impressed with the breed. Smart, tough, great endurance, unbelievably loyal, and there were a few I knew that when I pulled up the driveway, I would not get out of my truck until their owner came out to greet me. I've also known some that are the biggest babies out there. But, that breed is #1 on my list for when my wife and I move out to the sticks.

Can't recommend a German Shorthaired Pointer. Great for endurance but they don't do well in the cold, as another member mentioned about his sporting breed, total PIA with ground squirrels, rabbits and marmots, and mine's a total wuss.