Dog Breed Help - Here's the Parameters

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Don't know if you're just being facetious, but they are actually one of thee most trainable dogs on the planet! That's why they are so often used in those circus acts. But I don't want a coat that would require habitual cutting. So that's out.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Ooh... digging on what I'm seeing about these Jagd Terriers! Look like my Brizzy, but with more of a prey drive, and better type of coat to be outdoors with!

But it also sounds like for sure I'd have to wait until our little one passes before taking in a Jagd. Sounds like they'd probably Eff with her in a prey-drive way since she's so small.

As a positive for those Brittany's... I know those.. their hair is crazy soft! And I'm a sucker for tactile stuff.

sndmn11

WKR
But it also sounds like for sure I'd have to wait until our little one passes before taking in a Jagd. Sounds like they'd probably Eff with her in a prey-drive way since she's so small.

I think if the Chihuahua was friendly and the Jagdt was a puppy, there wouldn't be any prey drive. It would probably be a good thing because the puppy would learn not all creatures should feel its wrath.

I'd adopt a puppy from a shelter for what you are wanting to do.

ZDR

WKR
@TheGDog

This site shows the potential of Jack Russell's as trackers:

Brendan

WKR
Pretty sure @Darin Cooper has a Jagd Terrier, and also had another he hunted with previously. And I seem to remember pretty well trained?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I think if the Chihuahua was friendly and the Jagdt was a puppy, there wouldn't be any prey drive. It would probably be a good thing because the puppy would learn not all creatures should feel its wrath.

I'd adopt a puppy from a shelter for what you are wanting to do.
Was discussing this with the fam this PM, and Mama mentioned that if we got him as puppy as I intend, then he'd grow up with lil Mancha as part of his pack, so it *should* make that potential prey-drive issue not be a thing. Might even make him be protective of her.. which would really be a good thing for us, since I worry about the occasional Coopers Hawks that land on our power pole outback and RedTails that sometimes do high-up recon missions overhead as well as mating rituals high overhead around here and there are Yote sightings at times in the neighborhood, since this neighborhood tract is next to that Navel Golf Course and the Los Alamitos training base. There are a few den sites on that base. Plus they have this whole series of pathways they take to get them all the way out to that part of the beach that's reserved for the Naval Weapons Ammo Depot bunkers and crops land and all that stuff. And I know there are Skunks and occasionally Racoons around here. And squirrels, which is why the Coopers Hawks have been coming around. One of those bastards THOUGHT he could land on the ground right by my spa with his mate. Just outside out the sliding glass backdoor from the living room, where Mancha sleeps and hangs out at. I saw that and was like "Aww Hell Nah.." and went SSS on his butt. I can't have one of them getting habituated to our backyard being a safe location, otherwise Mancha would totally be in danger. The Coopers probably couldn't carry her away, but those talons were gnarly and they could Totally elect to just kill her and feed as much as they could on the ground instead. She's too small, and defenseless since she doesn't have hardly any teeth left. So Daddy did what Daddy's do, and kept her safe.

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
A Labradoodle would work well for you. Extremely smart, trainable, will fetch and swim and have great temperments. Most are leggy but slim built and would slide right through your doggy door. Also would take whatever miles you throw at it and they don't shed. If you find the right breeder haircuts would be minimal. I used to think they were just another designer dog but since being around quite a few of them I've been impressed and every one I've seen has a great personality. I have 45 to 65 pound outside dogs and the entrances to their dog houses are only slightly bigger than your doggie door and they go right in. As far as protecting feet that mostly comes from having their feet in shape. I've never had much luck with booties but some people have. Good luck in your search.

TxxAgg

WKR
Another thought I've considered and wonder how they'd work for hunting is an English Staffordshire Terrier (the mini version of what Pitbulls, American Staffordshire Terriers come from). They are like little mini bodybuilders, thick and rocked!
They won't do well in cold weather

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked into a small Golden Retriever breed? They’re incredibly smart with a desire to retrieve just about anything. The obedience while sitting could easily be thought. If you can teach a Golden to hold and fetch on command, getting one to sit and stare at a deer isn’t out of the question. My golden is the most loyal friend I’ve ever had and she’s the most gentle dog with kids and other friendly people. She also has a knack for sensing danger and shady folks pretty quickly. She’ll protect her “family” without question. She weighs 40 pounds soaking wet. Quite possibly she’s the perfect dog.

Attachments

• BE4E66E1-D30D-4071-8D7E-3F32063CBBCA.jpeg
    BE4E66E1-D30D-4071-8D7E-3F32063CBBCA.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 40

mlgc20

WKR
I have an English cocker spaniel and couldn’t be happier with him. They are 25-35 lbs. with a great goofy personality. Loves to retrieve. Will punch through the tightest clumps of brush to find anything. I don’t duck hunt but he loves chasing geese and swimming after them so I have no doubt he would retrieve a dead duck if I trained him to sit in a blind. Very birdy and loves going squirrel hunting with me. Really fun dog and super loyal to me and my family. He has spent long days grouse hunting and doesn’t stop. Like most hunting dogs, you need to run him every day or he gets pretty pent up.

Check them out. They are the most underrated hunting dog out there. It’s funny watching them retrieve a big flapping pheasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an English Cocker Spaniel as well. Much smaller than my Golden Retriever, at a little over 30 pounds. Also, smarter than my Golden.

Squamch

WKR
Don't know if you're just being facetious, but they are actually one of thee most trainable dogs on the planet! That's why they are so often used in those circus acts. But I don't want a coat that would require habitual cutting. So that's out.

Not at all facetious. They are smart dogs originally used as gun dogs. A set of clippers makes for an easy job of keeping one trimmed. Longer on the chest, shorter on the everywhere else.

Superdoo

WKR
Yeah, that door will get a 50+ pound dog through with no problem! Especially if it's used to going through as a puppy! If you're using that door as a size limiter, you can go bigger for sure.

With that being said, both Pudelpointers I've had were 45 pounds and are lazy in the house and all business in the field. They blood track, point birds and retrieve. Full on bad asses!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty sure @Darin Cooper has a Jagd Terrier, and also had another he hunted with previously. And I seem to remember pretty well trained?

A jagd would fit the bill. Incredible intelligence and highly trainable.

My new jagd is in the early stages of training, but was able to successfully track 4 deer before 11 weeks of age. My prior jagd was an incredible tracker and would also sit by my side as deer, elk, and antelope approached within close range while bowhunting. We had encounters inside 20 yards on several occasions and she kept her wits about her until an arrow was cut loose. At that point she couldn't help but launch after them. A quick blip of the e-collar would bring her back.

On one occasion I had a great bull at 32 yards catch our wind and whirl - my pup mistook this for a shot elk reaction and damn near caught him before I could zap her. That was the only occasion where she may have cost me an opportunity.

She was also an excellent bird dog and extremely strong swimmer. The breeder I got my first jagdterrier from bird hunted extensively with his. I shot quail, chukar, pheasants, ducks and geese with my dog, but I'm not what I'd call an avid bird hunter making one or two outings a season.

My last jagd hunted and tracked mule deer, elk, antelope, black bear, and AK Yukon Moose with me.

Attachments

• 2016 Nevada Deer-6648.jpg
    2016 Nevada Deer-6648.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2016-MT-Deer-7475.jpg
    2016-MT-Deer-7475.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2017-10-10 19.10.26.jpg
    2017-10-10 19.10.26.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2019AK-Moose-00170.jpg
    2019AK-Moose-00170.jpg