Advice please: New barrel or new rifle

Shortdraw

FNG
Hoping for a little help for those that know more than me (not a big lift!). I have a early to mid '90s Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag. My gunsmith just informed me the barrel is shot out...pitted etc. My options are replace the barrel or replace the rifle. FWIW I currently have a pretty new Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 as well. What do Roksliders think? New barrel or new rifle? Here's a few additional factors...
1. I really like the Ruger action, balance, etc. I'm just used to it. It's accounted for a pile of elk and deer. It has battle scars on the walnut stock. We have a lot of memories together. I had planned on putting a new scope on it anyway so barrel or new rifle, that cost is a given.
2. If I replaced the Ruger with a new rifle , I would go with either a Howa 1500 hogue or a Tikka T3x. I lean to the Howa because of the three position safety which I like on my Ruger. I like the trigger on both so I guess I'm not picky about two stage vs one. The Howa is a bit heavier so might take up some of the recoil. Of course it is heavier than the Tikka too and I'm not getting any younger.
3. If I did replace the barrel, any opinions on suppliers? I hear a lot of complaints about customer service from McGowan. I've been looking at Douglas or Preferred barrels. Opinions? Anyone else?

Thanks for your help in this little journey!

I have a Browning medallion 300 WSM that I've had the same issue deciding what to do with. My dad gave it to me, a ton of memorable hunts and trophies with it. I pulled the scope off and it's been sitting in the safe for several years.

IMO the only reason to rebarrel would be for sentimental reasons. By the time you buy a barrel and pay for a gunsmith to get it lined out, you could just buy a new gun.

If you do buy a barrel I had a Remington 700 rebarrelled with a Krieger barrel and it's a really good shooter.

TaperPin

WKR
The m77 rifles I’ve owned were some of my favorites, so I’m biased. I had a 7 mag rebarreled and it’s hard to explain how confidence inspiring it was to suddenly have groups at 200 yards as small as the old barrel did at 100, without trying. No replacement rifle could duplicate that for the cost of the barrel and installation.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The m77 rifles I’ve owned were some of my favorites, so I’m biased. I had a 7 mag rebarreled and it’s hard to explain how confidence inspiring it was to suddenly have groups at 200 yards as small as the old barrel did at 100, without trying. No replacement rifle could duplicate that for the cost of the barrel and installation.
Getting a new rifle if you already have a rifle you are satisfied with misses this point above.

A new barrel installed by a custom smith will make a rifle you have memories with even more memorable when it shoots better than the factory barrel.

If it’s just a rifle you have laying around, meh, maybe sell it.

OP
S

Shortdraw

FNG
Anyone have experience with Preferred Barrels? I'm thinking I'd like to replace the barrel. Scarring on an old walnut stock is just too pretty to let go :)

Axlrod

WKR
I have a PBB I rec. about a month ago. It's a Tikka shouldered prefit in 25-6.5PRC. They were very good to deal with, and the lead time was spot on. I have just under 100 rounds through it, been fire forming brass. Been shooting 134/135 Horn/Bergers and N565/Retumbo. Smallest group was .4 moa largest 1.75 moa, with most right around 1 moa.
If you are just looking for a blank to have your gunsmith chamber you can prob. find a good one in stock at places like Bullet Central, Bug Holes etc.

Vern400

WKR
W
Anyone have experience with Preferred Barrels? I'm thinking I'd like to replace the barrel. Scarring on an old walnut stock is just too pretty to let go :)
Why not just tell your gunsmith what material, caliber, contour, and grade (standard or match) and let him get it? Your barrel probably rusted....a lot of them die that way. Go with SS?

Wapiti1

WKR
Replace the barrel. Douglas is my go to barrel unless someone has something specific in mind. K&P is my number two choice these days.

Douglas also will install and they do good work.

Jeremy

cbuck516

FNG
I re-barrelled my factory Howa 22" 25-06 with a Preferred Barrels 25-06AI 26" 1:7" twist. Very happy with the quality and support from PBB, not to mention the multiple of obscure chamberings they offer in a prefit barrel. I am almost 150 rounds into that barrel and found 1/2MOA load with my intended bullet/powder combo.

Don't buy a new rifle unless you are looking for something that your current rifles can't provide, whatever that is. The cost of a premium barrel is pretty close to the cost of a budget rifle. I would prefer the premium barrel over a new factory rifle personally. That route also lets you customize barrel length, twist rate, profile, materials, etc. which isn't an option on factory rifles for the most part.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I re-barrelled my factory Howa 22" 25-06 with a Preferred Barrels 25-06AI 26" 1:7" twist. Very happy with the quality and support from PBB, not to mention the multiple of obscure chamberings they offer in a prefit barrel. I am almost 150 rounds into that barrel and found 1/2MOA load with my intended bullet/powder combo.

Don't buy a new rifle unless you are looking for something that your current rifles can't provide, whatever that is. The cost of a premium barrel is pretty close to the cost of a budget rifle. I would prefer the premium barrel over a new factory rifle personally. That route also lets you customize barrel length, twist rate, profile, materials, etc. which isn't an option on factory rifles for the most part.
This is why I will buy a barrel over a new factory rifle lots of times. I get exactly what I want… and I know I will have higher odds for a sweet shooter.

I know guys that really like Preferred, so I went with them for my oddball prefit. 21” SS in 25SST prefit for my Nucleus. I love the options they give.

OP
S

Shortdraw

FNG
W

Why not just tell your gunsmith what material, caliber, contour, and grade (standard or match) and let him get it? Your barrel probably rusted....a lot of them die that way. Go with SS?
I wanted to part of the process. I'm learning a bit which is a good thing. Definitely going SS! Thanks.

Can you please PM me with what contour, etc..., that you went with on this barrel? I'm leaning hard in this direction to replace my factory Tikka T3 .25-06 barrel with the improved version. Those heavies have outstanding potential.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Would you mind keeping us posted on what you decide? I have an M77 that may need a new barrel as well

For a hunting rifle, you really can't go wrong with any of the major barrel makers these days. Most of the people having issues with McGowan or others are buying pre-fits that don't end up headspacing properly. As you will be rebarreling a Ruger, you have to have a gunsmith chamber and fit it anyway.
So, McGowan, Preferred, PVA, Wilson, Brux, PacNor, Douglas, K&P, Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, Hawk Hill, Mullerworks, etc will all get you where you want to be. From there it comes down to options. With barrels, just like anything else, you get what you pay for. It is up to you to decide just how much you want to get out of the barrel and that will help guide you on how much to spend.

Of the ones listed above, I have personal experience with McGowan, Preferred, Wilson, PacNor, Douglas, and Bartlein. I don't expect my McGowan, PBB, or Wilson to shoot on the same level as my PacNor, Douglas, or Bartlein. They all shoot very well, however and I have yet to be disappointed with a barrel for any of my bolt guns. But, then again, I have realistic expectations of both my equipment and myself, so YMMV.