Advice please: New barrel or new rifle

WKR
Ive recently gone through this exact dilemma. I had a 1993 77 mk ii that was a 7 mag. It was my first deer rifle and I took many a whitetail and muley with it. It started to really open up on me and my smith said the barrel was shot out. I probably had 750-1000 rounds through it and I bought it used.

I ended up having it rebarreled in 7prc with a stainless Bartlein. I am also having it drilled and tapped for a rail and cerakoted, and I installed a timney trigger. The new barrel is 20" and threaded for a can, too.

All in (1,200 ish), I could have bought a pretty nice new rifle. But now I have my old trusty with all the updates needed to be a great shooter for another 25 years.

If youre attached to it, and it sounds like you are, I think its worth rebarrelling. But you're probably money ahead just buying something new in the 800 dollar price range.

Pdm25150

FNG
Go with a new barrel, really like the Ruger M77 and wish I had one. As for barrel makers Douglas, Shilen, Bartlien all make nice barrels. Go with best you can afford and who ever has shortest lead time. Check with Grizzly and see if they have what ever caliber you want in stock. They usually have different 7mm version Bartlien in stock, just call and make sure it's in stock and not drop shipped from factory.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Did you end up rebarreling?
I'm currently in the same dilemma. I have an MK2 and a Tang safety M77. Neither shoot where I want them to be so on the fence of just leaving them and keep trucking or getting a new rifle.

My vote is to rebarrel what you already have. That is what I did. I had an M77 from about the same time period as yours and it would never shoot groups I was happy with. After years of wasting money on components trying different loads, I finally sent it off for a new barrel. My smith put a Muellerworks barrel on it and now it shoots 1/2 inch groups. I killed the biggest deer of my life with it shortly after. In the end Im glad I didn't just put it aside and let it collect dust.

Then you can play with the 7-08 and get familiar with it! I suspect you may enjoy what you find with it.

I have a ruger in 308 it was my first hunting rifle. I will have it rebarreled when it’s time. There’s just something about the good ole m77. I have a few customs that are great but my m77 is what I find myself reaching for a majority of the time.

Shot my first white tail with it, mule deer and black tail.