AK - Test Negative or Stay Home

KHNC

WKR
My grandpa died from it this morning.

It's frustrating that it's almost impossible to get good information on this virus. But, I can understand why states like Alaska want to take an overly cautious approach. For many it's just an annoyance like the common cold, but obviously for some it's much, much worse.
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. What other health conditions did he have? Was he otherwise healthy for his age prior to contracting covid? Did the virus exacerbate hes underlying conditions? Everyone that dies with a positive for C-19 is classified as a covid death from what i understand. Regardless of underlying issues.

Trial153

WKR
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. What other health conditions did he have? Was he otherwise healthy for his age prior to contracting covid? Did the virus exacerbate hes underlying conditions? Everyone that dies with a positive for C-19 is classified as a covid death from what i understand. Regardless of underlying issues.
Classy.

keller

WKR
Sorry to hear about your grandpa .my condolences. I agree it is serious we are taking precautions. I as well don't feel we are getting much info on this.but as soon as my daughter tested positive.the phone was ringing off the hook between the county and hospital. They are doing a great job tracking it.we have an online chart to fill out every day tracking temperatures and symptoms.its not going away anytime soon. Hopefully they dial in the meds if they havnt already another topic indeed.
My grandpa died from it this morning.

It's frustrating that it's almost impossible to get good information on this virus. But, I can understand why states like Alaska want to take an overly cautious approach. For many it's just an annoyance like the common cold, but obviously for some it's much, much worse.

NoWiser

WKR

No worries. Everyone has questions about this virus.

Grandpa had no known underlying health conditions except that he was 92 years old. His mind wasn't always there anymore, but his body was healthy for his age. He'd been positive for Covid for almost 2 weeks with hardly a symptom. In span of 2 days it took a turn for the worst and killed him.

KHNC

WKR

Grandpa had no known underlying health conditions except that he was 92 years old. His mind wasn't always there anymore, but his body was healthy for his age. He'd been positive for Covid for almost 2 weeks with hardly a symptom. In span of 2 days it took a turn for the worst and killed him.
I appreciate you understanding why i was asking. I was sincere when i said i was sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Sometimes it is tough to get a real answer on things related to the virus. I personally had Covid 4 weeks ago. Took me about 5 days to start to recover. First few days definitely sucked for sure.

Trial153

WKR

Seem like that is a common theme with a lot of our patents in emergency settings. They are home riding it out, all lookss well enough then they crash over the course of day. Our year over the 10 year avg for deaths is now 3 time the avg standard deviation for our area. That with record low accidents ect which we also track.

We lost a friend of ours few weeks ago, she was actually discharged and doing better, they then noticed in a severe increased inflammatory response. They started treating it right away, however she through a clot and stroked, they found clots from her lungs to her brain She spent a week on life support before he family decided that the outlook wasn't acceptable. She was 56 and in good health. Maybe 5 foot/ 90 pounds soaking wet. Owned a successful restaurant and was good employer. We will miss her

Trial153

WKR

Seem like that is a common theme with a lot of our patents in emergency settings. They are home riding it out, all lookss well enough then they crash over the course of day. Our year over the 10 year avg for deaths is now 3 time the avg standard deviation for our area. That with record low accidents ect which we also track.

We lost a friend of ours few weeks ago, she was actually discharged and doing better, they then noticed in a severe increased inflammatory response. They started treating it right away, however she through a clot and stroked, they found clots from her lungs to her brain She spent a week on life support before he family decided that the outlook wasn't acceptable. She was 56 and in good health. Maybe 5 foot/ 90 pounds soaking wet. Owned a successful restaurant and was good employer. We will miss her

Trial153

WKR
Maybe you should read my post again and take a minute to understand why i was asking. Instead of just being a smartass automatically.
Bull shit. Your last two sentences of the post was you rational for posting otherwise you wouldn't have wrote them. Walk back all you want, but I stand buy what I said. Classless post.

KHNC

WKR
Bull shit. Your last two sentences of the post was you rational for posting otherwise you wouldn't have wrote them. Walk back all you want, but I stand buy what I said. Classless post.
Keep telling yourself that. I am not walking back on anything.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ditto No Wiser. Very sorry for your loss.

I have so many friends IN Alaska and more planning to hunt there this fall; I wish you all the best...be prepared to get there and back, and use your heads to adjust to everything before during and after your hunt 👍

attk64

FNG
Pretty soon the Canadian and subsequent Alaskan border is going to be like the Mexican border except it will be lower 48 hunters illegally sneaking across the borders trying to make it to their hunts!

JPD350

WKR
Pretty soon the Canadian and subsequent Alaskan border is going to be like the Mexican border except it will be lower 48 hunters illegally sneaking across the borders trying to make it to their hunts!

LOL
Good one!!

miloak

FNG
The smart ones will be sneaking into Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR

My son also had a delayed response. Initially fever, head cold symptoms, and abdominal pain. He tested positive. Medicated at home a few days and thought he was over it after 4-5 days. Then the breathing became affected after the other symptoms abated. He's fine now, but we were worried.

I was going on a DIY MT bear trip in May, the governor of that state kept us from travelling there as non residents w/out a 14 day quartine in place, no outside activities allowed. We cancelled our trip. Only money I lost was a FS cabin rental that I can't get the FS to refund. If AK does same, I'll understand, and cancel my trip.

Oh and yea, I agree KHNC wasn't kind in his response. His agenda was more important than showing respect for the poster w/a lost relative.

AKDoc

WKR
My sincere condolences for those who have lost friends, loved ones or family members. It is tragic and sad that so many people are going through their end of life moments without the physical presence of loved ones around them. I also offer my sincere good wishes for those who are, or who have loved ones that are, working their way through recovery of this illness. I personally would never openly ask personal questions of your experiences, but instead I do simply wish the very best for each and all of you.

The common bond that we all share on this forum is our interest and passion for hunting...whether it's the adventure, the meat, the trophy, or all the above. Covid-19 challenges us to manage our perspectives in life, and perhaps that is a relative positive in our current situation...even putting our love for hunting into that larger perspective of different values that we each hold and prioritize in our lives. So much more to say about that, but I'll just leave it there.

My apologies to you KD as the OP of this thread for my departure from content. I greatly appreciate your spirit of this thread and its usefulness for others within a rapidly changing topography that we ALL are navigating right now.

Last edited:
OP
Kevin Dill
Thanks AKDoc....no problem.

Yes, my main hope with this thread was to keep it informational and centered on travel-related developments. There are plenty of threads (nasty as they are) discussing the pandemic and going into politics and viewpoints. It's hard not to go there. I go there mentally a lot, but I try to avoid speaking out on most of my thoughts. I too feel extraordinary sympathy and sorrow for the families and friends of those who died and left many empty hearts. If I have one character flaw here, it's that I have very low tolerance for those who don't respect the immense pain of death felt by survivors. That's definitely NOT most of us here, but there are some and they know who they are.

In the end, the best we can do is to support each other....work to get through this with the least loss of lives....and above all else preserve our humanity. We seem so focused on numbers that we can't see the faces....and there's a face behind every single number. It's like war....and so easy to become numb.

It takes no effort to insult others who you don't know. Being a gentleman (or woman) is another thing. And while I love hunting and hope to keep going, I don't mind telling you I'd give it ALL up this season if it meant saving YOUR family member's life somehow.

Peace and Health to you guys. And now I'm burning this soapbox I made.

fwafwow

WKR
FWIW, some of the tests have higher chances of a false negative result. Not suggesting that’s a way to get “in” - but that it’s a trade-off of the timing.

Trial153

WKR
I am slated to arrive on the 11th.

Because of exposures at work I have two test and an antibody tests in the last three weeks. Tests results been taking 3-4 days.

My plan is two fold, I do a home test send it in and hope I receive results in time. Then I hedge my bets and take local test two days before my departure and hope for the results in time..
My goal is to comply the best I can with the intent of the directives.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW- I fly out tomorrow and was able to find a Walgreens test site that has quick results. It was in a different state and about 4 hours away but worth the drive to show up with a negative test inside AK parameters. I had to fill out a questionnaire online and then waited a couple hours to receive an approval to get tested. I was able to schedule my time and day so that was nice. Just took the test and had the test results back within 30 minutes. I know the updated rules don’t go into effect until the 11th but this may be an option for those headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk