Alaska closes spring bear

NUGGET

WKR
What is "YOLO".........????

So the goal is to keep the virus from spreading, and allow it to die out. Given that goal. Say two brothers from a town or community with no known confirmed cases, for example Cantwell, AK is traveling to lower Kenai Peninsula, AK to hunt bears. They stop in Los'Anchorage for fuel and use the toilet.

The virus can and does live for hours and days on surfaces. Los'Anchorage has the highest concentration of "ACTIVE" confirmed Covid-19 cases. Very likely virus on fuel pump, bathroom door handle, walls, on the ground, etc.

They could now be tracking the virus to all points south and back to Cantwell. AK.

The goal is to isolate the virus, not enhance its reproduction infection area. This is why the travel mandate is "NO" stopping in other communities, towns, villages, cities.

Everyone wants to figure out how they can dance around the travel mandate. Everyone wants to be unrestricted, right up till their family is dead, and they have "Part" of one lung remaining, and their hunting life is over.

We will be living and/or dying with this virus for years, maybe decades. This virus is behaving in non-standard ways. It is showing up in many different species of animals, where it can constantly mutate, and jump back and forth between human animals and other animals, constantly mutating. Hard to impossible to create a vaccine for a virus that is constantly mutating. There are currently over one hundred documented unique strains of Coronavirus-19.

The "Only" safe thing for humans is to isolate themselves. "BUT" they will not do that, and the result of not doing that could be catastrophic for the human species. This is not going to be over in a few weeks, or even a few months, maybe never over. But for sure the economic impact is going to be horrific. Likely more horrific (for humans) then the virus.

This not almost "Over".........It has only just started.
In your story the two guys from cantwell did everything right. They minimized contact. The only thing they did wrong was drive by some of the best bear hunting around to go someplace else to bear hunt. That seems a little foolish.

You can type all day long about what you think is going to happen. Look at the numbers, its going down. No doubt to the measures put in place. Its going to be ok. I'm sure there will still be cases in the fall. But everything is going to be back on pace with the economy and life here pretty damn quick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
In your story the two guys from cantwell did everything right. They minimized contact.

OK.......now I understand, They kind'a minimized contact. The result is that only one of the two died. The other guy had two of his three children die. What part of NO stopping in any community, is hard to understand......???

I get that people don't like the travel restriction, but it is in place to save lives, and save space in ICU beds.

Just for my education.......where exactly in Alaska are the cases dropping. Hell.....where exactly in Alaska are they even stabilizing.......???

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Sourdoughs, the SOA has resources in place for folks that are having trouble dealing with the stress that the virus has caused.

So it seems that the people with stress are the people who can't follow the rules. Seems the people hell'bent on justifying their reckless behavior and endangering others are the ones with the stress. They "NEED" to get away, get out of town, to relieve their Stress.

Those who live in the majestic Alaska wilderness, who rarely have any contact with humans, likely have no reason for stress over Coronavirus-19.

So it seems that the people with stress are the people who can't follow the rules. Seems the people hell'bent on justifying their reckless behavior and endangering others are the ones with the stress. They "NEED" to get away, get out of town, to relieve their Stress.

Those who live in the majestic Alaska wilderness, who rarely have any contact with humans, likely have no reason for stress over Coronavirus-19.

Except that there are inaccuracies in your story.
1) there are less than 10 unique strains of covid, not 100.
2) children are highly unlikely to die from covid, there have been less than 10 deaths in children in the United states.
3) Covid mutates much slower than flu, making it a better candidate for a vaccine.

I cant take seriously the claims of a person who invents data to scare people. Personally I will reduce risk and hope that the restrictions are lifted at the soonest possible time.

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
Did anyone listen to the meeting today? Were there any decisions made/anything discussed?
They approved both proposals to be voted on at the next meeting on June 3rd. Kodiak tags will be reissued for spring 2022 if approved during the vote. They are giving the public a 30 day comment period. Sounded like they will give public notice tomorrow sometime after they get everything written up after today’s meeting.

At the end of the meeting they also announced that residents can get Kodiak bears sealed this year at any ADFG location so that people won’t be coming into the city of kodiak. I am a resident and have a tag for this spring, so that made me wonder what’s going on since we cannot travel there and pick up our permits?? I called ADFG in kodiak after the BOG meeting and asked why they approved that if we can’t hunt? I was told that Alaskan residents CAN hunt if you travel by boat or private plane directly to your hunting location. If you have a plan set to avoid entering the community of kodiak they will mail you your permit.

I will be inquiring more info tomorrow about how I could possibly get down to my field location.

They approved both proposals to be voted on at the next meeting on June 3rd. Kodiak tags will be reissued for spring 2022 if approved during the vote. They are giving the public a 30 day comment period. Sounded like they will give public notice tomorrow sometime after they get everything written up after today’s meeting.

At the end of the meeting they also announced that residents can get Kodiak bears sealed this year at any ADFG location so that people won’t be coming into the city of kodiak. I am a resident and have a tag for this spring, so that made me wonder what’s going on since we cannot travel there and pick up our permits?? I called ADFG in kodiak after the BOG meeting and asked why they approved that if we can’t hunt? I was told that Alaskan residents CAN hunt if you travel by boat or private plane directly to your hunting location. If you have a plan set to avoid entering the community of kodiak they will mail you your permit.

I will be inquiring more info tomorrow about how I could possibly get down to my field location.

Best of luck figuring out a way to get out there. So they want to push all 2020 spring kodiak tags to 22, leave 21 unaffected and not hold a spring draw next year? Am I understanding that correctly?

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
Best of luck figuring out a way to get out there. So they want to push all 2020 spring kodiak tags to 22, leave 21 unaffected and not hold a spring draw next year? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes that’s correct. They noted that there will be a select number of residents that do hunt this year so they will take that into account for 2022. Their example was say Karluk lake area has 5 permits this year and 2 get hunted, they will reissue the 3 unused tags and possibly have a special 2022 draw for the 2 tags that were used. It was a great meeting and they tried to answer a lot of the questions people have. ADFG will have their hands full sorting this all out, but they are trying to do the right thing for people!

Yes that’s correct. They noted that there will be a select number of residents that do hunt this year so they will take that into account for 2022. Their example was say Karluk lake area has 5 permits this year and 2 get hunted, they will reissue the 3 unused tags and possibly have a special 2022 draw for the 2 tags that were used. It was a great meeting and they tried to answer a lot of the questions people have. ADFG will have their hands full sorting this all out, but they are trying to do the right thing for people!

Perfect, thanks for the info! Am stuck overseas currently and wasn't able to listen in. I think this is as good of a solution as one could come up with. Guess we will know for sure in mid May.

HHairball

FNG
Sounds like they are making good movement in the right direction!

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
Perfect, thanks for the info! Am stuck overseas currently and wasn't able to listen in. I think this is as good of a solution as one could come up with. Guess we will know for sure in mid May.
Being stuck overseas might be a blessing in disguise! Just hope the vote passes and then plan to hunt in 2022. Meanwhile I’m here in AK and after today’s news I’m trying to figure out how to get a plane from wasilla to my drop spot on Afognak without making any pit stops. Had this hunt planned for over a year just like all the other tag holders. I was scheduled to fly out April 21st

Being stuck overseas might be a blessing in disguise! Just hope the vote passes and then plan to hunt in 2022. Meanwhile I’m here in AK and after today’s news I’m trying to figure out how to get a plane from wasilla to my drop spot on Afognak without making any pit stops. Had this hunt planned for over a year just like all the other tag holders. I was scheduled to fly out April 21st

I think that's the smarter play here, to get the vote to pass and wait till 22. Too much can go wrong, too many unknowns on getting to kodiak and back. Full disclosure I also drew for afognak but for 21. There's plenty of bears for both of us though! Luckily were both residents and there are other species to keep us busy between now and then.

For the record I'd much rather be in Alaska than where I am, especially now that it's getting warmer.

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
I think that's the smarter play here, to get the vote to pass and wait till 22. Too much can go wrong, too many unknowns on getting to kodiak and back. Full disclosure I also drew for afognak but for 21. There's plenty of bears for both of us though! Luckily were both residents and there are other species to keep us busy between now and then.

For the record I'd much rather be in Alaska than where I am, especially now that it's getting warmer.
No doubt! I pulled 2 other draw tags for this season somehow, so I’ll keep myself busy with those! The bears will wait for us

Bighorse

WKR
I'd like to revisit this please.....I've read the AK public comments and reviewed some of the audio from the ADFG BOG meeting. I'm still not clear on what's happening. Is there a deferred date for ruling on the new regulations related to permit allocations on Kodiak? Help please

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, their proposal is to move those that drew tags to 2022. Only the few tags that get hunted this spring will be available to draw this winter. Their examples: you have your own plane and don't need to go to the town of Kodiak to get to your hunt area. Or if your a resident of Kodiak.

They are talking about voting on it June 3rd. They have to allow 30 days for public comments
Aaron

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to revisit this please.....I've read the AK public comments and reviewed some of the audio from the ADFG BOG meeting. I'm still not clear on what's happening. Is there a deferred date for ruling on the new regulations related to permit allocations on Kodiak? Help please

Chris,

Ur tag/residents is still gonna be ok for 2021. 2020 tags will be moved to 2022.

The following link will have more info as it is available. The biggest take away is the board wants to ensure opportunity to tag holders.