Alaska closes spring bear

Bighorse

WKR
Thank you! My tag just got a little more interesting. A full year of minimum harvest in one of the premium units on Kodiak.

Bighorse

WKR
Roger that...."minimum harvest" being the operative word. The Fall hunts don't tend to yield the magnum boars as well according to harvest statistics.

Not that it makes much of a difference. It's HUGE inaccessible country....I'll be a pin prick on that landscape.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I had seemed to of accepted that my POW tag next spring would be pushed back a year into ‘22.....but I’m pleased that isn’t going to be the case. Let the planning and waiting continue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it the 2020 black bear tags for SE Alaska (GMU 1-3) will be pushed to 2021 and/or 2022 if the board approves the proposal? I hold a spring 2021 black bear tag. Curious as to how many more hunters will be present for season and the light harvest this spring.

Bighorse

WKR
I’m heading over with my skiff to POW in a few weeks to chase black bear. I expect very little pressure

Attachments

• FC0DC6BC-961D-4C3D-9CFF-6B103964F4C8.jpeg
    FC0DC6BC-961D-4C3D-9CFF-6B103964F4C8.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 37
Roger that...."minimum harvest" being the operative word. The Fall hunts don't tend to yield the magnum boars as well according to harvest statistics.

Not that it makes much of a difference. It's HUGE inaccessible country....I'll be a pin prick on that landscape.

thats true.
I’m heading over with my skiff to POW in a few weeks to chase black bear. I expect very little pressure

Have a great time out there!

I don’t know if this has much bearing on this thread, but a buddy of mine and his son drew a party tag (drew tag in Feb. 2019), for this years spring Kodiak bear. They are flying out of Anchorage, via Alaska Air, to Kodiak on the 30th of this month, then flying into Karluk from there. He just contacted me this morning and said everything was confirmed and good to go.

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
I don’t know if this has much bearing on this thread, but a buddy of mine and his son drew a party tag (drew tag in Feb. 2019), for this years spring Kodiak bear. They are flying out of Anchorage, via Alaska Air, to Kodiak on the 30th of this month, then flying into Karluk from there. He just contacted me this morning and said everything was confirmed and good to go.

I’m curious if ADFG changed their minds again or if your buddy needs to call their office one more time. I was scheduled to fly into kodiak on Alaska airlines from anchorage Tuesday the 21st and fly out from there. Had my appointment set to get my permit but they then told me that even as an Alaska resident they will not issue permits if you fly into kodiak commercially. It’s breaking the travel mandate and kodiaks rule of 14 day quarantine was their reasoning. So long story short, I’m flying out of Homer and directly to the field. They approved that and sent me my permit in the mail. Would be upset if they changed their rules again and I’m now paying double the original costs to get down there! Either way, I’ll be in the field chasing bears on the 28th

OK.......now I understand, They kind'a minimized contact. The result is that only one of the two died. The other guy had two of his three children die. What part of NO stopping in any community, is hard to understand......???

I get that people don't like the travel restriction, but it is in place to save lives, and save space in ICU beds.

Just for my education.......where exactly in Alaska are the cases dropping. Hell.....where exactly in Alaska are they even stabilizing.......???
Interior Alaska has not had any new COVID-19 cases in the past 11 days...largely due to shelter in place.
What a relief...the hospital had only 212 beds/12 ventilators.
Now the local hockey arena is prepped in case of a resurgence of COVID-19.

Even statewide, the number of new cases has been relatively low (population 734,000 ) and has declined:
AK_COVID_19_Cases.JPG

Last edited:

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I’m curious if ADFG changed their minds again or if your buddy needs to call their office one more time. I was scheduled to fly into kodiak on Alaska airlines from anchorage Tuesday the 21st and fly out from there. Had my appointment set to get my permit but they then told me that even as an Alaska resident they will not issue permits if you fly into kodiak commercially. It’s breaking the travel mandate and kodiaks rule of 14 day quarantine was their reasoning. So long story short, I’m flying out of Homer and directly to the field. They approved that and sent me my permit in the mail. Would be upset if they changed their rules again and I’m now paying double the original costs to get down there! Either way, I’ll be in the field chasing bears on the 28th

What type of plane will they be using........are they based out of Kodiak or Homer or some other base....??? Thanks.

Yeah IDK, I spoke with him yesterday and he said everything was a go. F&G sent him their tags, he shipped all his stuff down to his transporter, and they'll be flying down on the 30th with Alaska Air. He hopes to be in the field on May 1.

mathews52

FNG
Classified Approved
Yeah IDK, I spoke with him yesterday and he said everything was a go. F&G sent him their tags, he shipped all his stuff down to his transporter, and they'll be flying down on the 30th with Alaska Air. He hopes to be in the field on May 1.
Good deal! I’m glad a few of us are able to make it happen this year and will have a bit of fun during this odd time. Hope to have some pictures to post here in the next week or two. Good luck to your buddy and his son on their tags!