Alaska DIY Caribou

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Everything these guys are telling you is true. Nick Muche also pointed out what I saw regarding people walking in with rifles and walking out empty handed. If you're up for the adventure, cross the Sag and head East. The country looks much more interesting on that side rather than heading west. Start glassing once you're North of Galbraith Lake. Bring your bow so if that big bull crosses right in front of you, you'll be prepared. Bring a camera. Your smartphone won't do the country justice.

As far as hiking on tundra goes, from what you've said you're in good enough shape to handle it. However, you can't replicate walking on sponges the size of basketballs with 80 lbs on your back. Smile at the pain and embrace the suck.
Thank you! Awesome info!

Driving up in a uhaul isn't too expensive for a pair or trio, if going alone then flying in won't be much more expensive. Just remember, when calculating gas, add about $3-$4 a gallon over the current price in Fairbanks, and be ready to pay it (you will have to prepay before you pump, cards are accepted but cash is safer and you dont have to worry about the card machine being down). I caution people wanting to drive up to the Arctic Circle all the time, once you leave Fairbanks there is nothing between stops and you have to pay the price. Pay attention to real MPG you get at each stop (not the gauges/readouts) and do math. You will absolutely hit points of no return where if you cross a certain line the only way back is 80 miles forward. Just know where those lines are. Getting a copy of the Milepost guide is the best money you can spend on this trip (if you drive). Do not rely on any digital maps to tell you where gas is, use the current years milepost guide.
Do they sell diesel up that way too or is that harder to come by than unleaded?

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
Driving up in a uhaul isn't too expensive for a pair or trio, if going alone then flying in won't be much more expensive. Just remember, when calculating gas, add about $3-$4 a gallon over the current price in Fairbanks, and be ready to pay it (you will have to prepay before you pump, cards are accepted but cash is safer and you dont have to worry about the card machine being down). I caution people wanting to drive up to the Arctic Circle all the time, once you leave Fairbanks there is nothing between stops and you have to pay the price. Pay attention to real MPG you get at each stop (not the gauges/readouts) and do math. You will absolutely hit points of no return where if you cross a certain line the only way back is 80 miles forward. Just know where those lines are. Getting a copy of the Milepost guide is the best money you can spend on this trip (if you drive). Do not rely on any digital maps to tell you where gas is, use the current years milepost guide.

To echo everyone else. Spots mean nothing, the herd moves. But, pay attention to the ADF&G website, phone lines and Facebook pages. You will have rough ideas of where to pinpoint your trip start once you land in Fairbanks. Be flexible, don't get emotionally attached to a location if the reports say the herd has passed that area or hasn't made it there yet.

Also, look up your cell phone company coverage maps. Not all companies have great reception in Fairbanks. Do not rely on being online for anything once you hit Fairbanks (have ADF&G numbers saved, maps downloaded... etc).

Finally, while in Fairbanks. Lock your damn doors. If you park at the Fred Meyers or Walmart to grab something, just expect someone will try to open your door. In a rental your all the more a target. Lock your doors, don't stay inside the store forever, don't let your gear sprout legs. Most out of staters are shocked at the levels of homelessness and crime in Fairbanks (not to mention Anchorage). Just something to keep in mind as your not going to have a bunch of options if someone walks off with your backpack.

Good luck, Alaska is a phenomenal place. I may see you on the road!
re: mobile coverage, last Sept got 3G equiv in Coldfoot Camp, and awesome Verizon LTE Galbraith Lake. Seems like we briefly picked up LTE at some other point that may have been a work camp or research site, but can’t recall where we were. We didn’t go much N of Happy Valley so cant comment above that point. This was Labor Day weekend and we saw onesies and twosies of bou above Galbraith Lake but wasn’t until Happy Valley that we saw scattered small groups, even then we were disappointed by their numbers. We wanted to fish more than hunt so we headed back south. We were moose hunting the following week so fishing was the weekend priority. Btw Galbraith Lake grayling are hungry critters!

Nontyp

FNG
We have hunted it 2 times in the past 3 years. First time We rented a truck from Go North. I would not use them again and the price is pretty high. We hunted the road and packed out the 5 miles. We did come back empty handed but we had some issues in the group and came back out the next day. If you go out I think you would have to leap frog the meat and gear back out. We seen many caribou across the river that we could not get to without a raft. Take a raft.
This past yr we drive up in 2 Uhaul vans and met up with North Star and took a boat ride up the river 40 miles. We hunted a xl camp with7 guys. We wanted to have a great time with buddies. We killed 5 and should have been 6.
The first time was a wet yr and last time was a dry year. What a difference

22lr

WKR
Do they sell diesel up that way too or is that harder to come by than unleaded?

Pretty sure I remember seeing Diesel at the pump in Fort Yukon. We elected not to go past the Circle so I can't speak much for past that. It was about $3.50 a gallon more than Fairbanks for unleaded, so if we do it again ill drop the few hundred on an extended tank, can pay for itself in one trip.

22lr

WKR
re: mobile coverage, last Sept got 3G equiv in Coldfoot Camp, and awesome Verizon LTE Galbraith Lake. Seems like we briefly picked up LTE at some other point that may have been a work camp or research site, but can’t recall where we were. We didn’t go much N of Happy Valley so cant comment above that point. This was Labor Day weekend and we saw onesies and twosies of bou above Galbraith Lake but wasn’t until Happy Valley that we saw scattered small groups, even then we were disappointed by their numbers. We wanted to fish more than hunt so we headed back south. We were moose hunting the following week so fishing was the weekend priority. Btw Galbraith Lake grayling are hungry critters!
Ya, Verizon has made great strides up here in coverage along the road network.

VernAK

WKR
Pretty sure I remember seeing Diesel at the pump in Fort Yukon. We elected not to go past the Circle so I can't speak much for past that. It was about $3.50 a gallon more than Fairbanks for unleaded, so if we do it again ill drop the few hundred on an extended tank, can pay for itself in one trip.

22lr,

You lost me.......I don't really think you meant "Fort Yukon"........

Of course there is diesel available, those trucks don't run off gasoline... Coldfoot and Deadhorse both will have it. A full tank from Fairbanks will get you well past Coldfoot.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Everything these guys are telling you is true. Nick Muche also pointed out what I saw regarding people walking in with rifles and walking out empty handed. If you're up for the adventure, cross the Sag and head East. The country looks much more interesting on that side rather than heading west. Start glassing once you're North of Galbraith Lake. Bring your bow so if that big bull crosses right in front of you, you'll be prepared. Bring a camera. Your smartphone won't do the country justice.

As far as hiking on tundra goes, from what you've said you're in good enough shape to handle it. However, you can't replicate walking on sponges the size of basketballs with 80 lbs on your back. Smile at the pain and embrace the suck.
Have you ever tried to cross the Sag? Wondering if it’s possible, how severe this river is? I obviously know weather/rain affects it’s level but I just mean in general..

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
We have hunted it 2 times in the past 3 years. First time We rented a truck from Go North. I would not use them again and the price is pretty high. We hunted the road and packed out the 5 miles. We did come back empty handed but we had some issues in the group and came back out the next day. If you go out I think you would have to leap frog the meat and gear back out. We seen many caribou across the river that we could not get to without a raft. Take a raft.
This past yr we drive up in 2 Uhaul vans and met up with North Star and took a boat ride up the river 40 miles. We hunted a xl camp with7 guys. We wanted to have a great time with buddies. We killed 5 and should have been 6.
Thank you for the reply!!

Matter of fact, we have been trying to get ahold of North Star... with no luck! They reply on Facebook but will not return a call. We have been getting pretty frustrated with them.

How was your overall experience with them? Do you recommend them?

z987k

WKR
Have you ever tried to cross the Sag? Wondering if it’s possible, how severe this river is? I obviously know weather/rain affects it’s level but I just mean in general..
You're not going to wade across it. Some sort of boat/raft would do it though. There's wider spots where it's not very fast.

AKBorn

WKR
But you think a small pack raft would be safe?
I think guys have done it....safe is a relative word. The water in Alaskan rivers is COLD and you can get numb pretty quick if you tip over.

I seem to recall years ago someone drowning along the Sag, there is probably an old discussion about it on the Alaska Outdoors Directory Hunting Forum, not sure how you could best search for it tho....

AkRyan

WKR
Alaska is HUGE...the unit your hunting in is as big as some states. I recommend you watch videos of alaska caribou hunts and pay attention to location and date. If you spend the time in the woods you will find your animal.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
This all super legit advice, fellas. Impressive thread, IMO

lb
I would definitely agree! I’m a newbie here, and am super impressed with the majority of the feedback!!

Now I am hoping I can connect the dots and make a dream come true.... ALASKA!!

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
Can you tell me about your experience with North Star? Do you recommend them?

Weavergm

FNG
I've never crossed it myself, although I know several people who have with a packraft. It's totally doable. Pick your crossing like you would anywhere else. I hiked along the river and in early September there are plenty of places to cross north of the Brooks.

I have rafted the Ivashak and part of the Sag. The Sag is deceptively smooth for as fast as it was running when we were there (Mid Sept). I wouldn't expect to get across it without planning on losing several hundred yards. Not a big deal if you plan for that, but if you try to fight it, you will be sorely disappointed.