Alaska DIY Caribou

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I have rafted the Ivashak and part of the Sag. The Sag is deceptively smooth for as fast as it was running when we were there (Mid Sept). I wouldn't expect to get across it without planning on losing several hundred yards. Not a big deal if you plan for that, but if you try to fight it, you will be sorely disappointed.
Perfect thanks for the answer! I assume the Ivashak is a bit more tame than the Sag?

Were you successful on your hunt?

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
I’ll see if I can find pictures from the Sag in 2019. Ohh boy was she swollen from days of solid rain.
Also a concern of mine... tough to try to plan a trip like this, only to get there and find out you can cross the Sag..

Nontyp

FNG
Can you tell me about your experience with North Star? Do you recommend them?
Ryan is a great guy. We had good communication leading up to the hunt. We were seeing the caribou a few miles up river so he did move us with now issues. The boat ride is pretty cool on the way up. Last yr the water was down and we were able to cross the river is a few places with Hippies. He had some boat issues but got us up the river with enough time to set camp. The gear we rented was set up to Ryans place and was waiting on us. We booked a moose hunt with him this year.

Sorry to do this to everyone, but I am new here. I know there seems to be lots of discussion on some threads about DIY caribou hunts in Alaska, but I have some questions...

Obviously, I have never been to Alaska. DIY hunting is what I prefer, whether it be deer, elk, etc. and that harder the hunt, the more I like it. With that being said, my brother and I are kicking around the idea of heading to Alaska for caribou.

Have found several outfits that fly hunters in, airboat hunters in, and also just learned that there are zones along the Dalton Highway that permit rifle hunting over 5 miles off the road. I am confident our physical condition, gear, ability, etc would enable my brother and I to handle getting 5 miles off the road, and back no problems. However, one of my main concerns is WHERE??

Are there pretty much decent resident caribou numbers regardless of where you are on the North Slope? Or is the migration everything? Can anyone provide me any insight as to where we would ideally need to be? Unit 25? 26?

I have no objection of hiring one of the above mentioned outfits to get us in, especially if their knowledge of WHERE the caribou are pays off!!

Thank you in advance!
Yeah. 5 miles in and five out on the tundra isn’t something you can prepare for. I’m a Marine and spent a shot load of time humping. That tundra hike sucks. Worst thing I’ve ever experienced.
Caribou are either there or not. There really isn’t anything else to know about bou. They show up when they show up. But there are time frames where you are more likely to be successful.

I believe you are right, which is fine with us. All I’m trying to avoid is going to Alaska and putting myself in an area where there are no caribou.

Hoping that nobody thinks I’m asking for their trophy spot or best hunting location. I simply would like info on an area where we would at least have a chance at seeing caribou, period.
If it helps, the caribou are migratory. So...they move. A. Lot.
The unit is large. If you plan on walking pay attention to reports. People share where they are. Your problem is you need to be five miles away from where most people will report them.

Nontyp

FNG
Thank you for the reply!!

Matter of fact, we have been trying to get ahold of North Star... with no luck! They reply on Facebook but will not return a call. We have been getting pretty frustrated with them.

How was your overall experience with them? Do you recommend them?
He has been guiding for lions in Nevada without much for service. I have not reached out to him lately. Shoot him an email.
I would not try to cross the sag. Even if it is down it can change very quickly. In 2018 we camped on the secondary river edge 60 yd from the river and we had a warm day that melted a lot of snow from the mountains. We almost did not get camp moved fast enough. The river is very fast even when it is low. You can get across most of the channels with hip boots but that last one is deep and fast.

OP
JohnsonA

JohnsonA

FNG
He has been guiding for lions in Nevada without much for service. I have not reached out to him lately. Shoot him an email.
I would not try to cross the sag. Even if it is down it can change very quickly. In 2018 we camped on the secondary river edge 60 yd from the river and we had a warm day that melted a lot of snow from the mountains. We almost did not get camp moved fast enough. The river is very fast even when it is low. You can get across most of the channels with hip boots but that last one is deep and fast.
Thank you!

BowMan86

FNG
I took my 12 year old son up to the haul rd for a caribou hunt despite all the advise against it. It ended up being a great trip. We hiked 5 miles out on the west side of the rd. We lucked out and had beautiful weather on the way out and it was a great time. Took us about 6-7 hours and was definitely rough, but definitely doable. As soon as we got out there we set up camp and had several caribou around us. We had a pretty nice bull walk within 80 yards of us but he was just in side the 5 mile line so he got to walk. We woke up the next morning and both filled our tags before noon. Luckily the weather turned cold and afforded us a few days for pack out. We were able to pile the meat up on top of some brush to keep it off the ground and placed a tarp over it to keep it dry. We hiked out with as much as we could carry. Took us about 10 hours to hike out. Afterwards we were totally wore out. Took a day rest and hiked back out in the morning with empty packs and hauled out the rest of the meat. On the way back I swore I would never do it again, but I am already set to go back this Sept! it is an awesome trip and surprising my son handled the hike better than I did. Just know it is going to suck and enjoy it. Good luck!B6FAFD7B-A2A8-4ACF-9F7D-202B36D4EA7F.jpeg

Attachments

• E72A79C1-DB04-4BE1-B15D-CF8DA61DC868.jpeg
    E72A79C1-DB04-4BE1-B15D-CF8DA61DC868.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

mooster

WKR
Sounds like y’all earned your animals and had a great trip you’ll share memories of for years to come. Congrats

Perfect thanks for the answer! I assume the Ivashak is a bit more tame than the Sag?

Were you successful on your hunt?
Just saw Larry's bump on this and realized I never answered your second question.
I passed on caribou every day, waiting for the big one. I never found him. Two of my buddies took small bulls and one took a wolf. We got into ptarmigan and char and grayling, so I would say it was a successful trip. We were not "in them" like some of the videos you see of being among hundreds of caribou at once. The largest group we saw was 8 caribou.

OLE1021

FNG
IF YOU ARE IN SHAPE YOU WILL BE GOOD ITS NOT EASY HIKING BUT DOABLE. MY WIFE AND I WENT FROM KOTZ VIA AIR TAXI TO UNIT 26/23 AND HAD A BLAST. BOTH GOT TROPHY BULLS. NEVER DONE THE HWY BUT SOUNDS AMAZING ALSO. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT. EVERY OUTDOORSMAN SHOULD EXPERIENCE ALASKA ITS REALLY COOL

GOOD LUCK

pb007

FNG
Long time reader, first time poster. My two cents: Hiking Northside tundra- Good waterproof boots. I have hunted tundra in extratuffs and it was fine. I have hunted tundra in Schnees and it was fine. (which are about total opposite on ankle support) Dry feet can take a lot. Wet feet less so. The tussocks are hard to walk in, but not that hard. And the terrain changes. Usually as soon as you start up a hill and get out of the low areas that hold water it gets way easier. If you are fat and out of shape and eat like crap pick a different hunt or get a guide or some kid to do the hard work for you. If you are in shape don't give it a second thought just go because overall it's easier than a typical DIY elk trip. Also, in my experience, there is no "spot" for Barren Ground Caribou. They have the longest migration route of any land mammal on the planet. In other words, they move. A lot. And they are the definition of a herd animal. Result: They are not a cagey animal, they just rely on numbers and hope the other guy gets picked off not them. Another thing- guys talk about how they follow a trail that has been previously walked by caribou. True. from a plane. But bou walk fast. Really fast. So, a few miles one way or another within a VERY LARGE trail swath is nothing for them. A biologist will say it's a migration route and they are right. For a hunter, the area is so big and the hunter is in such a tiny piece of it that the perception is that they are random. And from the ground it is somewhat random. They will double back and walk the opposite way and from your post up it looks like they are "migrating" the other direction. No, its just they are walking the other way for awhile because they feel like it. . Dont worry about it because all this is overthinking it. Get really good gear that keeps you dry (that is way more important than worrying about a "spot") and get up to the slope (or southside, but that is a way different hunt) and just go experience one of the most majestic places on our planet. The bou are there because thats where they live.

Geewhiz

WKR
Long time reader, first time poster. My two cents: Hiking Northside tundra- Good waterproof boots. I have hunted tundra in extratuffs and it was fine. I have hunted tundra in Schnees and it was fine. (which are about total opposite on ankle support) Dry feet can take a lot. Wet feet less so. The tussocks are hard to walk in, but not that hard. And the terrain changes. Usually as soon as you start up a hill and get out of the low areas that hold water it gets way easier. If you are fat and out of shape and eat like crap pick a different hunt or get a guide or some kid to do the hard work for you. If you are in shape don't give it a second thought just go because overall it's easier than a typical DIY elk trip. Also, in my experience, there is no "spot" for Barren Ground Caribou. They have the longest migration route of any land mammal on the planet. In other words, they move. A lot. And they are the definition of a herd animal. Result: They are not a cagey animal, they just rely on numbers and hope the other guy gets picked off not them. Another thing- guys talk about how they follow a trail that has been previously walked by caribou. True. from a plane. But bou walk fast. Really fast. So, a few miles one way or another within a VERY LARGE trail swath is nothing for them. A biologist will say it's a migration route and they are right. For a hunter, the area is so big and the hunter is in such a tiny piece of it that the perception is that they are random. And from the ground it is somewhat random. They will double back and walk the opposite way and from your post up it looks like they are "migrating" the other direction. No, its just they are walking the other way for awhile because they feel like it. . Dont worry about it because all this is overthinking it. Get really good gear that keeps you dry (that is way more important than worrying about a "spot") and get up to the slope (or southside, but that is a way different hunt) and just go experience one of the most majestic places on our planet. The bou are there because thats where they live.
I don’t think you understand how this works.. first posts are always supposed to be about asking for locations for your own hunt.

That’s the kind of first post we like to see! Thanks for your expertise and welcome to rokslide!

Brick

FNG
I took my 12 year old son up to the haul rd for a caribou hunt despite all the advise against it. It ended up being a great trip. We hiked 5 miles out on the west side of the rd. We lucked out and had beautiful weather on the way out and it was a great time. Took us about 6-7 hours and was definitely rough, but definitely doable. As soon as we got out there we set up camp and had several caribou around us. We had a pretty nice bull walk within 80 yards of us but he was just in side the 5 mile line so he got to walk. We woke up the next morning and both filled our tags before noon. Luckily the weather turned cold and afforded us a few days for pack out. We were able to pile the meat up on top of some brush to keep it off the ground and placed a tarp over it to keep it dry. We hiked out with as much as we could carry. Took us about 10 hours to hike out. Afterwards we were totally wore out. Took a day rest and hiked back out in the morning with empty packs and hauled out the rest of the meat. On the way back I swore I would never do it again, but I am already set to go back this Sept! it is an awesome trip and surprising my son handled the hike better than I did. Just know it is going to suck and enjoy it. Good luck!View attachment 292961
One day, I would love to do this. But this first time, I'm gonna let somebody fly me out LOL. But in all seriousness, this looks like a blast. Congrats! That can't be an easy hunt. Cheers

BowMan86

FNG
One day, I would love to do this. But this first time, I'm gonna let somebody fly me out LOL. But in all seriousness, this looks like a blast. Congrats! That can't be an easy hunt. Cheers
I hear ya, there were definitely moments where I was questioning my decision to do that hunt. I think I will personally stick to bow hunting that area, but I have a buddy who wants to do the rifle thing, so I will help him pack out this year. Then I will bow hunt mine from the road!