All around rifle for female hunter

OXN939

WKR
How do you like those e-tips?

They are lasers and absolutely crush. Game I've personally taken with them so far: Caribou, Whitetail, Blacktail, Pronghorn, Wild boar, Coyote... A+ performance on them all. Bonus that you're not feeding toxic metal fragments to your family.

Here's a Pronghorn v. 7mm-08 E Tip scenario from just a few days ago. Bang, flop.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 2.51.06 PM.png

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
A .243 will kill elk dead. It would be better for her to shoot a gun that fits her and she is comfortable with. My wife, myself and quite a few buddies have all killed elk with a .243..........don't tell anyone though......There is a rumor that you need a 300 RUM to kill elk.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
i agree, she will shoot a 243 if the rifles we try aren’t as accurate for her. Bullet placement is king, but all else being equal, a little extra diameter never hurts

rodell

FNG
As others have said, it is all about fit, followed by confidence. The 7mm-08 is a great caliber for almost anything you'll ever encounter, minus the big bears and other dangerous game.

The Weatherby Camilla sure fits a lot of people well.

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife picked up her new rifle last night from the gunsmith.
Stevens 200 rebarreled in 6.5CM
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock
Vortex Viper 3-9X40 in DNZ mount

She got her new Pintler in the mail as well. Feeling pretty spunky, she is.

OXN939

WKR
My wife picked up her new rifle last night from the gunsmith.
Stevens 200 rebarreled in 6.5CM
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock
Vortex Viper 3-9X40 in DNZ mount

She got her new Pintler in the mail as well. Feeling pretty spunky, she is.

Just picked up one of those Vipers from a member on here. Shame Vortex only runs them with "limited availability;" they are super badass riflescopes.

dont you just add pink components and call it a womens rifle..... joking of course but unfortunately it seems to be how the industry went for awhile.
weatherby vanguard camilla. it is a great rifle that they actually put some thought into for female hunters. take a look also, a .308 is a great round, gets people into a 30 caliber without tremendous recoil and yah the 7mm 08 seems almost cliche now when talking about rounds suited for women and kids, i dont really get it but everyone does it so maybe there is something to it.

Michael54

WKR
My wife shot a browning a bolt medallion in 7mm 08 for years. I upgraded her to a remington 700 in .270 a few years ago. The 7mm-08 will be my sons first rifle when he is old enough to hunt.

Michael54

WKR
Analysis Paralasis.

Think back to when you were a kid. Cool boxes sold ammo....ballistics didn’t mean shit. Deer still died.
I used remington core lokts for years just because it was the first box i saw on the shelf. I only changed recently when i finally realized they were either zipping pinholes through the deer or prematurely exploding on the rib cage. The deer still died but now i have a lot bigger blood trail to follow if they run

My wife started hunting with me years ago...mostly whitetail and hogs...but occasionally we do an exotic--and a red stag in the future...she has a savage Lady Hunter in a 6.5 creemoor. We built her a 338 federal when she wanted more gun...it was built on a LW hunter and had a custom LW contour 338 federal SS barrel...good lightweight thumper

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
My wife likes my 300 win mag.
I think it kicks a bit but she doesn't ever flinch....that girl was born with the shooting gene. I think she likes it because of the paint job though, calls it the Zebra gun
wink.gif

I would choose a 6.5 or a 25-06.
Probably the 25-06 because of available over the counter ammo. Nobody down here carries 6.5 anything

WCB

WKR
The new Savage rifles with the Accu Stocks are hard to beat for fitting the gun to an individual male or female. My wife shoots a 7mm-08 140 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. Absolute tack driver and in my opinion best bullet on the market.

She is not shy of recoil as she has shot cases of 12 Gauge 3.5" shells out of a pump shotgun while snow goose hunting laying on frozen ground. She also used to lug that pump around pheasant and grouse hutning on all day walks. Also, shoots my 7mag and 300wm no problems. However, the 7-08 is a smaller frame gun and has less recoil which makes it more enjoyable.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife shoots a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 PRC. She is 30 years old, 5’7” and 105 lbs. She can shoot that rifle all day and it produces over 1,800 ft lbs of energy at 400 yards.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wife's new blaster.
She will still hunt with her .300 this year I'm sure. She just has faith in it.
KIMG2325.JPG

My friend Sheena has killed 6+ elk and a moose with her 243 using 100 grain partitions with no issues.

If you miss the vitals by enough to have a bad it with a 243, I doubt an extra couple hundredths of an inch bullet diameter will help.

I’d keep her in the rifle that she’s comfortable and familiar with. Shot placement is everything and Epstein didn’t kill himself