Am I a jerk? (Read before voting)

Am I a huge jerk???

• Yes

Votes: 375 83.0%
  • No

Votes: 77 17.0%

• Total voters
Your initial post almost had me shed a tear. Dad? Hard on you kid…. Dad? You my dad?

i get where you’re coming from, but if you went keel up tomorrow (God forbid) would you like him to remember his big deer with you, or the big deer he / she got to watch YOU shoot?

Parenting is made for inside walls and trucks. Growth, advice, fun, healthy learning, blood to blood bonding is made outdoors. I damn sure wouldn’t force a shot upon my boy, but if your child wants to take it and he / she is capable of an ethical shot…. Let it rip!

My only concern would be child making a shot that hit animal in the leg or something. Not for the animals sake, but I’d hate to scar my child.

This is a crazy post. I’m astonished. Maybe I read the initial one wrong. I’ll go back and check.

I don’t know. Maybe I was a bit hard on you. Sounds like you at least have kid in mind and not just yourself. But…. Just think…. How COOL would it be if you kid took a bigger deer than you!!! What a cause for celebration! You talk about somety he’s never forget. AND to do it with you! Not in his spot solo? I don’t know man. Once mine can go he is priory número uno…. Can’t wait to spoil. To reach his own, though.

yeah… pretty sure this guy shoots first.
1A01971A-4703-4290-A410-BCA1EDCD390B.jpegD2885DD8-A29F-41EC-B8E8-623B62A8253D.jpeg975EFD97-7E29-4907-B0FA-93E138797AE9.jpegFD13A421-6B87-448B-B07B-74F68A16EC97.jpegBAFA6B82-713F-484F-88D2-6D5ADEA4A35D.jpeg46DDDDED-2275-45D5-96D2-3221C9A78FEA.jpeg

Last edited:
It sucks when adults “rules” are placed on kids for stuff like this.

And to shoot a deer from under your kid because of antlers is just a dick move.

Antlers make grown men do stupid stuff and is just another reason I’m growing to like hunting less. No wonder the up and coming generation is losing interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It sucks when adults “rules” are placed on kids for stuff like this.

And to shoot a deer from under your kid because of antlers is just a dick move.

Antlers make grown men do stupid stuff and is just another reason I’m growing to like hunting less. No wonder the up and coming generation is losing interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pretty sure OP got his answer!

OP
S
I don’t know. Maybe I was a bit hard on you. Sounds like you at least have kid in mind and not just yourself. But…. Just think…. How COOL would it be if you kid took a bigger deer than you!!! What a cause for celebration! You talk about somety he’s never forget. AND to do it with you! Not in his spot solo? I don’t know man. Once mine can go he is priory número uno…. Can’t wait to spoil. To reach his own, though.

yeah… pretty sure this guy shoots first.
View attachment 343813View attachment 343815View attachment 343816View attachment 343817View attachment 343818View attachment 343819

Love your post and the time you took. . .

I seriously contemplated rewriting the question about four posts in as a text based forum conveys no tone. The "there my spots and I deserve something" was a smiling shoulder shrugging half joking tone. And really comes off as full selfish asshole. But once the replays were coming I didn't want to skew things and make those that read everything scratch their heads about what someone was talking about. It was written quickly and could have been worded much better. Something along the lines of

"should young kids earn a large deer or once your kids starts hunting are they the only shooter until they are tagged out?"

I think that question would have had way less people questioning my parenting, my son's well being as a hunter, and my integrity as a person. But it's been fun to watch and really fun to read and interact with the people that took the time for a thought out response (positive or negative). And I think it's why I can be upbeat and positive in replying to some of these is because I know the full extent on my side and know my son.

So to set aside some worries.

My concern is my son losing interest if he shoots a wall hanger right away. And also questioning do you hunt with your kid as a "partner" or as a "client" guiding him to success at every opportunity. (Again very simplified and not trying to offend there is room and a blend of both in there)

My son has the fortune of starting hunting when he could hold a gun safely. Prior the that he has been with me in a backpack since about 18months old. In a given year counting hunting, fishing, hiking, etc he spends between 80 and 120 days (not full days obviously) outside enjoying the outdoors. With that he is also prone to lose interest in some things quickly . . . So far this hasn't presented in the outdoor aspects but there is some fear there for me.

The odds of me seeing a deer in our are that would qualify for these rules are quite low. But they are what we are hoping to produce. My son is very excited to deer hunt and knows he has a chance to kill very big deer for our area even if I followed the "rule" completely. I don't know if I could or would but it was some basics that I set out to start him off and build him up. As he takes more interest and becomes more involved in all aspects obviously some rules would come away. (Forky mulie rule is forever and always unless amazing population growth occurs).

I could not be more proud of my son last year after his first deer was wounded and he had to follow up and make the kill knowing the animal was in pain. You can read about that here if you wish.

Like I have stated a few times, I don't know if I would enforce the rule or not. But rest assured he is well cared for, he has time carved out for just the two of us, and gets the joys of younger siblings tagging along also.

I truly have enjoyed the thought out responses some of you have given and appreciate the time you took to think about it and explain your position. I am fortunate to have more opportunities to take my son hunting than my dad had to take me (no knock on him he was busy working storm jobs and busting his butt to provide). My son will hunt in more states, for more species by the time he is 18 than I had by the time I was 30. Many of those he will be the only tag holder and I will be working to get him a great animal. Appreciate this community and the thought out responses.

Thanks again.

I, personally would and have strived to get my son bigger animals than me of all species. I started doing this when he got his first license at 10. To me, his success shows my success as a father and a hunter.

Yeah agree with the parents, monster. It's not some random buddy or aquantice that's tagging along, it's your son.

Imagine this. If the next world record walks by and your son shoots him you could still brag to all your buddies that you and your son got the world record buck. Everyone will know he couldn't have done it without you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

280Ackley

WKR
Love your post and the time you took. . .

I seriously contemplated rewriting the question about four posts in as a text based forum conveys no tone. The "there my spots and I deserve something" was a smiling shoulder shrugging half joking tone. And really comes off as full selfish asshole. But once the replays were coming I didn't want to skew things and make those that read everything scratch their heads about what someone was talking about. It was written quickly and could have been worded much better. Something along the lines of

"should young kids earn a large deer or once your kids starts hunting are they the only shooter until they are tagged out?"

I think that question would have had way less people questioning my parenting, my son's well being as a hunter, and my integrity as a person. But it's been fun to watch and really fun to read and interact with the people that took the time for a thought out response (positive or negative). And I think it's why I can be upbeat and positive in replying to some of these is because I know the full extent on my side and know my son.

So to set aside some worries.

My concern is my son losing interest if he shoots a wall hanger right away. And also questioning do you hunt with your kid as a "partner" or as a "client" guiding him to success at every opportunity. (Again very simplified and not trying to offend there is room and a blend of both in there)

My son has the fortune of starting hunting when he could hold a gun safely. Prior the that he has been with me in a backpack since about 18months old. In a given year counting hunting, fishing, hiking, etc he spends between 80 and 120 days (not full days obviously) outside enjoying the outdoors. With that he is also prone to lose interest in some things quickly . . . So far this hasn't presented in the outdoor aspects but there is some fear there for me.

The odds of me seeing a deer in our are that would qualify for these rules are quite low. But they are what we are hoping to produce. My son is very excited to deer hunt and knows he has a chance to kill very big deer for our area even if I followed the "rule" completely. I don't know if I could or would but it was some basics that I set out to start him off and build him up. As he takes more interest and becomes more involved in all aspects obviously some rules would come away. (Forky mulie rule is forever and always unless amazing population growth occurs).

I could not be more proud of my son last year after his first deer was wounded and he had to follow up and make the kill knowing the animal was in pain. You can read about that here if you wish.

Like I have stated a few times, I don't know if I would enforce the rule or not. But rest assured he is well cared for, he has time carved out for just the two of us, and gets the joys of younger siblings tagging along also.

I truly have enjoyed the thought out responses some of you have given and appreciate the time you took to think about it and explain your position. I am fortunate to have more opportunities to take my son hunting than my dad had to take me (no knock on him he was busy working storm jobs and busting his butt to provide). My son will hunt in more states, for more species by the time he is 18 than I had by the time I was 30. Many of those he will be the only tag holder and I will be working to get him a great animal. Appreciate this community and the thought out responses.

Thanks again.
I learned there are a lot of judgmental people who are really quick to judge and call you out at as father on here. It’s actually quite sad. I had multiple people question my ethics and call me a bad father over a post about getting the wrong tires on my truck!!! It sounds to me like your son is on his way to be a great hunter and your are training him up to be a good man. My son who is now 17 just asked me yesterday while we where whitetail hunting who would shoot a monster if we saw one. I told him whoever was quicker!!! He said “it’s ok dad you can just shoot it”. This is after letting him have the first choice on a deer for the last 7 years. Keep up the good work and enjoy the time in the woods with your son. Don’t worry about all these trolls that have nothing better then to judge you as a parent.

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
I don’t have kids but I do take friends kids if I have time. I love it. I don’t get the luxury of having the parent feeling everyday like most of you guys do but taking a kid out and watching them kill an animal and their faces and emotions.....shit man....I couldn’t imagine taking that away for my own benefit. But again....I’m not a parent and will never judge or critique ones ethics because I have no stake in that game. Whatever you decide is your choice. Just enjoy getting him or her out in the woods and enjoying all of what the outdoors has to offer. That’s my $.02 as a non parent for whatever it’s worth

you sound like a jerk to me. let the kid shoot a legal buck if he wants to. Let him get some experience , and as stated above, maybe he will see a bigger one afterward and want to hold out for a bigger one next time. Your rule about shooting the big one sounds selfish. I don't have kids but i would be thrilled for his or her success if i did! not jealous...

jobob730

FNG
You're the dad, so what you say goes. It's that simple. However, everyone does things a little differently. For example, my dad always tried to give me opportunities, like putting me in the better stand, or giving me the shot on a big buck, and he would always encourage me to take the shot, but he also made sure I was always well prepared, before taking on any serious task like hunting. I don't know you or your son. You know your son and how he will react to your directives. Who cares what anyone else thinks of your parenting....unless their comments make you question yourself, then maybe it's your own conscious saying, maybe I'm a jerk? In that case, you probably need to ponder it yourself and come to the conclusion that doesn't make you regret anything. Always love and support your children and give them a great life and many opportunities, that includes disciplining then and not spoiling them.

DanimalW

WKR
You would really be more excited to shoot a big buck yourself than to watch your son shoot it? Nobody will remember which deer you shot. Your son will always remember what kind of a father you were.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
I would rather watch a child take the big one than take it myself.

bsnedeker

WKR
Can't imagine hunting with my kid, seeing a huge deer within their range, and then saying "Sorry kid, you gotta put your time in before you can shoot a big one"!.

I think in this case you are acting like a selfish jerk.

ODB

WKR
I say let him shoot them. I personally get more joy that way then having myself pull the trigger.

I’ll make a potentially controversial comment here that most probably won’t agree with: if letting your kid do something gives you greater enjoyment than doing it yourself, letting them do so was motivated by your own selfishness.

Being selfish means acting in your own interest first, not second. Therefore, if you benefit more by letting the kid kill the buck, that’s selfishness. It’s only when you feel you are giving something up that you are acting with selflessness or true altruism.