And here it comes...

Beendare

WKR
Like I said, Cnelk nailed it.

I've shared plenty of info with forum members over the years....in fact Ask Tony Trietch....I just traded emails with him on a spot I've hunted in the past. Tony and I have never met but I've seen his posts for years and respect the guy....thus I was happy to help.

I've heard of many forum guys that have done the same thing- admirable. [I don't want to put them on the spot with a bunch of guys hounding them]

But for someone to join just to get freebie info....sure seems like a wannabe hunter move to me.
YMMV

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I have an email address that is designated for hunting and used specifically for helping hunters that reach out to me via PMs.
I just looked and there are 849 emails of conversations over the years that Ive helped or chatted with about hunting the west.

Im not opposed at all for helping those who are looking, but they should have at least put SOME effort into researching their hunt.

I think the biggest mistake made is many guys 'look thru a straw' when it comes to hunting the west - way too focused on this spot / drainage / unit.

Its understandable if its a LE draw unit, but OTC?
C'mon man...

I have an email address that is designated for hunting and used specifically for helping hunters that reach out to me via PMs.
I just looked and there are 849 emails of conversations over the years that Ive helped or chatted with about hunting the west.

Im not opposed at all for helping those who are looking, but they should have at least put SOME effort into researching their hunt.

I think the biggest mistake made is many guys 'look thru a straw' when it comes to hunting the west - way too focused on this spot / drainage / unit.

Its understandable if its a LE draw unit, but OTC?
C'mon man...

I understand and agree. But i think easterners have no idea what it’s like out west and i say that from my experiences hunting with some of them and talking to others who have never been out west. They perceive it like deer hunting around here, deer around every corner and in every draw. They think with millions of acres of public land there should be millions of elk and to ask for some details in one small area shouldn’t hurt. You westerners know much more than i do about it, but i still feel the unexperienced easterner knows way less than i do. I’m not asking anyone to share info, just have a little pity and don’t take it so hard on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncstewart

WKR
I understand and agree. But i think easterners have no idea what it’s like out west and i say that from my experiences hunting with some of them and talking to others who have never been out west. They perceive it like deer hunting around here, deer around every corner and in every draw. They think with millions of acres of public land there should be millions of elk and to ask for some details in one small area shouldn’t hurt. You westerners know much more than i do about it, but i still feel the unexperienced easterner knows way less than i do. I’m not asking anyone to share info, just have a little pity and don’t take it so hard on us.

I disagree with this. I’m a southerner that loaded up and went west to hunt with no help. I don’t need anyone to take pity on me. I grew up hunting and the fact is where every you hunt if you hunt hard you will learn. Learning will eventually equal success depending on how you measure success. A lot of people want crap handed to them and not earn it. Regardless of what part of the country or what species you after.

I disagree with this. I’m a southerner that loaded up and went west to hunt with no help. I don’t need anyone to take pity on me. I grew up hunting and the fact is where every you hunt if you hunt hard you will learn. Learning will eventually equal success depending on how you measure success. A lot of people want crap handed to them and not earn it. Regardless of what part of the country or what species you after.

Yes, but the people i am talking about had not been out west and most eastern hunters are not hard hunters, ie they want something handed to them.

ncstewart

WKR
Yes, but the people i am talking about had not been out west and most eastern hunters are not hard hunters, ie they want something handed to them.

I hadn’t been out west till I went. I don’t get your point. It has nothing to do with where ya grew up. Lazy people are lazy regardless of where they from. Not sure where your info on “most easterners are not hard hunters” comes from but sure.
Most people that are hunting out of their comfort zone are gonna ask questions. I agree with the overall opinion that some people approach it in a manner that can be irritating tho. But in the end isn’t that kinda the point of these forums is to help and educate other hunters?

I hadn’t been out west till I went. I don’t get your point. It has nothing to do with where ya grew up. Lazy people are lazy regardless of where they from. Not sure where your info on “most easterners are not hard hunters” comes from but sure.
Most people that are hunting out of their comfort zone are gonna ask questions. I agree with the overall opinion that some people approach it in a manner that can be irritating tho. But in the end isn’t that kinda the point of these forums is to help and educate other hunters?

My point is, most easterners do not know what to expect out west because they have not been out west. You, like me, are probably the exception. I read every elk hunting article in every magazine, bought several elk hunting books, watched thousands of hours of real elk hunting. I gave a guy a subscription to elk university last year, he never looked at it before he went elk hunting. I can think of 4-5 people i know that would walk 5 miles for a turkey or deer. The other hundreds of hunters i know are what i consider lazy.

And yes this forum is to help each other but if someone busts their tail finding areas why would they help someone that pops up here all of a sudden?

ncstewart

WKR
My point is, most easterners do not know what to expect out west because they have not been out west. You, like me, are probably the exception. I read every elk hunting article in every magazine, bought several elk hunting books, watched thousands of hours of real elk hunting. I gave a guy a subscription to elk university last year, he never looked at it before he went elk hunting. I can think of 4-5 people i know that would walk 5 miles for a turkey or deer. The other hundreds of hunters i know are what i consider lazy.

And yes this forum is to help each other but if someone busts their tail finding areas why would they help someone that pops up here all of a sudden?

Yeah for the most part I agree. We slow in the south and need better explanations.

KSP277

WKR

Just curious how you determine how hard someone hunts via their zip code.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider

To quote my 5 year old's favorite movie, Transylvania, "Blah, blah, blah." You said, "Most eastern hunters are not hard hunters, ie they want something handed to them." Don't try to walk it back. You're insinuating that we're lazy. I can say the same for most western hunters from experience. What's the adage? 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters? Most guys just cruise the the FS roads, get out of their truck or ATV, walk a few yards and call, then move on. We ran into two WY boys a few miles back in a general unit last year that echoed that exact same sentiment. "We never run into anyone back here." So I can turn around and say the same about you and western hunters...most are lazy. Point is, don't generalize. I'm not going to pretend that hunting mid-western, eastern or southern whitetails is as physically demanding as say, hunting elk or mulies, but when most western hunters stick to the FS roads and cruise, then I'll just assume that you're just as lazy as us fatlanders.

Just curious how you determine how hard someone hunts via their zip code.

Ok, most hunters are lazy, if you would follow the first statement as eastern hunters do not know what to expect out west then i said they are lazy, therefore; that’s why some eastern hunters get in these forums and expect to get answers to “can someone tell me where to go in unit, 74?” By the way i can generalize about eastern hunters because i am one, grew up in the east and have lived here my entire life. I did not feel safe generalizing about western hunters because i am not from the west and the most time i have spent there was hunting trips and vacation.

To quote my 5 year old's favorite movie, Transylvania, "Blah, blah, blah." You said, "Most eastern hunters are not hard hunters, ie they want something handed to them." Don't try to walk it back. You're insinuating that we're lazy. I can say the same for most western hunters from experience. What's the adage? 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters? Most guys just cruise the the FS roads, get out of their truck or ATV, walk a few yards and call, then move on. We ran into two WY boys a few miles back in a general unit last year that echoed that exact same sentiment. "We never run into anyone back here." So I can turn around and say the same about you and western hunters...most are lazy. Point is, don't generalize. I'm not going to pretend that hunting mid-western, eastern or southern whitetails is as physically demanding as say, hunting elk or mulies, but when most western hunters stick to the FS roads and cruise, then I'll just assume that you're just as lazy as us fatlanders.

I AM an eastern hunter, if you would read back a little bit i said i am a flatlander and a fatlander. I generalized about eastern hunters because i am one and that is where most of my experience with people (other hunters) lies. Most hunters are most likely lazy, most people are. My whole point was why easterners ask questions to get fast answers on forums without doing the legwork. They don’t know what to expect and they are lazy. i could have said westerners are lazy but i was not talking about western hunters. I believe all of my statements have been about easterners, the group that i belong to.

sndmn11

WKR
The hardest part about giving advice on where to hunt, in my experience, is finding someone who will follow through on actually doing it.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Now 2019... Looks like its time to bring this to the top again.... Just in case some newbies missed it.

bozeman

WKR
Say what you want, but there are several from the East (Southeast in my case) who just shake their head when I see some of the questions.......I took a family vacation to CO to hike and scout and going back in March again. And as one stated earlier, I walked 2.5 miles each AM for a week in KS on some WIHA after 2 turkeys. Took me 5 days, but doubled on them.........1 for 1 on elk, hoping to make it 2 for 2 in 2019!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only 2.5 miles each day? That's flat lol. Where I killed my bird in Utah this year, 2.5 miles was getting me close to where the birds were, after gaining over 1k feet in elevation and dropping back down that much and coming back up again. I'm jealous of 2.5 flat miles .
Say what you want, but there are several from the East (Southeast in my case) who just shake their head when I see some of the questions.......I took a family vacation to CO to hike and scout and going back in March again. And as one stated earlier, I walked 2.5 miles each AM for a week in KS on some WIHA after 2 turkeys. Took me 5 days, but doubled on them.........1 for 1 on elk, hoping to make it 2 for 2 in 2019!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk