Anyone else bothered by NON-RES Alien's applying in the States

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Living close to the Canadian border I'd love to do some spring bear hunting on Vancouver island, or put in for some Elk and Mule deer draws. Unless I'm missing something, you cant hunt big game in Canada DIY as an American. Yet I see them drawing premium NM, Wy tags down here. Shouldn't the rules be the same for them? I mean they have more animals and less people than the US.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Living close to the Canadian border I'd love to do some spring bear hunting on Vancouver island, or put in for some Elk and Mule deer draws. Unless I'm missing something, you cant hunt big game in Canada DIY as an American. Yet I see them drawing premium NM, Wy tags down here. Shouldn't the rules be the same for them? I mean they have more animals and less people than the US.
It’s got nothing to do with nationality. In BC you can’t hunt big game as a nonresident without the use of an outfitter or a hunter host (for some species). I’m from Alberta and that same rule applies to me as it does to you. Just find a buddy who will host you if you don’t want to use an outfitter. DIY can’t happen.

It’s got nothing to do with nationality. In BC you can’t hunt big game as a nonresident without the use of an outfitter or a hunter host (for some species). I’m from Alberta and that same rule applies to me as it does to you. Just find a buddy who will host you if you don’t want to use an outfitter. DIY can’t happen.

BC has their stuff on lock down. Even if you have a family member that lives there, and you want to hunt, said person has to have purchased a big game license for 3 of the last 5 years in order to accompany. So you can't just get your nephew, uncle whatever into archery and expect both of you to hunt on individual tags anytime soon. I'm currently going through this.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
BC has their stuff on lock down. Even if you have a family member that lives there, and you want to hunt, said person has to have purchased a big game license for 3 of the last 5 years in order to accompany. So you can't just get your nephew, uncle whatever into archery and expect both of you to hunt on individual tags anytime soon. I'm currently going through this.
It doesn’t need to be a family member. It can be anyone. They just need to have been a hunter for 2 years prior. Probably a good thing if you’re gonna host somebody, no?

It doesn’t need to be a family member. It can be anyone. They just need to have been a hunter for 2 years prior. Probably a good thing if you’re gonna host somebody, no?

Maybe, but think if you’re the uncle from the US. I got my nephews into fishing, and we all fish, it’s all about them, but Instill catch a few fish as well.

Hunting is different. I don’t know how to say this in a non selfish way, but my time is limited and there is only So much time off in the spring and fall. It would be nice to have a tag when I hunt with them. I’m talking bears and deer here not moose, goats etc. So I too could have a chance after or during our hunts to tag something as well.

I get it for what it is, but the system isn’t really set up well for mentoring.

Also, I’m a non resident alien so it has to be a family member.

Last edited:

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe, but think if you’re the uncle from the US. I got my nephews into fishing, and we all fish, it’s all about them, but Instill catch a few fish as well.

Hunting is different. I don’t know how to say this in a non selfish way, but my time is limited and there is only So much time off in the spring and fall. It would be nice to have a tag when I hunt with them. I’m talking bears and deer here not moose, goats etc. So I too could have a chance after or during our hunts to tag something as well.

I get it for what it is, but the system isn’t really set up well for mentoring.

Also, I’m a non resident alien so it has to be a family member.
you’re right. All good points and I tend to agree. I also see now where it says your host has to be a family member if you’re a non residency alien.

For the BC Permit to Accompany a Non-Resident or Non-Resident Alien....just copied off the MOE website. As seen below requirements for an Alien are different than a Canadian Non Resident:

The applicant may apply for only one permit per season to take up to two people hunting, that meet any of the following definitions:

• A non-resident – a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who
    • is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada; or,
    • has their sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 months immediately before the date of the application

• A non-resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non-resident) whose relationship to the applicant is one of the following:
    • Parent
    • Parent's sibling
    • Spouse
    • Spouse's sibling
    • Spouse's parent
    • Sibling
    • Sibling's child
    • Sibling's spouse
    • Child
    • Child's spouse
    • Grandchild
    • Grandparent