Anyone else bothered by NON-RES Alien's applying in the States

KBC

WKR
So Canadians can come to the lower 48 with a DUI conviction and hunt DIY but an American trying to do the same has to get special permission to enter and then must hunt with a chaperone?

They must think they're above us...šŸ˜
Well yes, technically we are. Well, and also to the east of some of you.

KBC

WKR
Actually if you arenā€™t a flat earther type, we are all around you depending on the direction you go.

maufic

FNG
Living close to the Canadian border I'd love to do some spring bear hunting on Vancouver island, or put in for some Elk and Mule deer draws. Unless I'm missing something, you cant hunt big game in Canada DIY as an American. Yet I see them drawing premium NM, Wy tags down here. Shouldn't the rules be the same for them? I mean they have more animals and less people than the US.
It's not like this in all provinces. NR are allowed to hunt Ontario diy (i think Quebec as well). As for the western provinces (BC and Alberta, not sure about Saskatchewan and Manitoba) anyone who is a NR of the province can't diy hunt. As a resident of Ontario I would love to hunt BC and Alberta, but a guided trip is beyond my budget if i want to hunt every year.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
It's not like this in all provinces. NR are allowed to hunt Ontario diy (i think Quebecas well). As for the western provinces (BC and Alberta, not sure about Saskatchewan and Manitoba) anyone who us a NR of the province can't diy hunt. As a resident of Ontario I would love to hunt BC and Alberta, but a guided trip is beyond my budget if i want to hunt every year.

That sucks. I understand us southerners being limited but doing that to the citizens of a country is really lame.

Really close to the European model of only the rich get to hunt.

Rich M

WKR
I get stuck behind all sorts of canada cars down here - they usually drive slow. Own or rent a place in the US until they start getting health issues and then its back up to socialized medicine for them. Never thought they were stealing all the hunting rights too.

Best thing you can do is go somewhere else. There has to be another country with pretty mountains where you can stick your hands into a steaming pile of guts.

KBC

WKR

Yes and no. Tags are cheap and lots of over the counter stuff. Deer, bear, elk and moose tags range from $15 to $25 for BC residents. Sheep, Goat and Bison range $40 to $70. For non residents, sheep and bison are the expensive ones at $620 to $700, the goats $350 then the rest is $125 to $250.

Although the moose seasons are getting small, I think you can do OTC for all of these.

Jethro

WKR
It doesn't bother me and honestly never thought about it till reading this thread.

I don't want a law that says Canadian residents have to use a guide in the US. I would rather a Canadian draw his tag and come hunt DIY than support another batch of outfitter welfare. I have nothing against outfitters. I've used them and will in the future. Just don't like the idea of being forced to use them.

bsnedeker

WKR
It doesn't bother me and honestly never thought about it till reading this thread.

I don't want a law that says Canadian residents have to use a guide in the US. I would rather a Canadian draw his tag and come hunt DIY than support another batch of outfitter welfare. I have nothing against outfitters. I've used them and will in the future. Just don't like the idea of being forced to use them.
Agreed. Anyone who wants to change US law to reflect what Canada is doing should do some serious self-reflection!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
You think that sucks, not too long ago it took 3 years worth of residency to get to hunt the Northwest Territory as a resident. It is now 1.

I' would love to live in the Yukon or NWT.

MattB

WKR
That sucks. I understand us southerners being limited but doing that to the citizens of a country is really lame.

More like only provincial residents get to hunt. Even in areas outfitters have purchased to have the exclusive right to provide guided hunts, resident hunter can still hunt there. Very little in common with the European model really.

Mojave

WKR
The European model hunts are private land tags in Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, California, Utah and others. Or systems similar to Texas and other eastern states that do not have much in the way of public lands.

The Actual European model varies greatly by country. Iceland and Norway have lottery hunts with expensive tags for reindeer in. So this isn't foreign.

In most of Western Europe you either pay the county, state, or city or a private landowner to hunt.

There are also federal forest hunts.

Sometimes residents of those nations will pay an outfitter to for a hunting slot that is leased from a government agency or private land owner. Sometimes a hunter will pay the local government.

In Germany, I paid about $800 to join a city owned area that had 3 other hunters. Could shoot 2 roe bucks and unlimited wildboar. These are called small game areas (reviers).

Areas that have red stags, chamois, ibex are bigger and more expensive. Some of them are $25,000 a year, but these are several thousand acres.

Most guys hunt on an individual level with belonging to a "membership" a least a little bit. I normally paid for hunts directly with an outfitter or one of the municipal hunting areas at least a couple of times a year.

A lot of Americans think that European hunting is incredibly expensive. All hunting is expensive. I would say that hunting in Europe is way cheaper than hunting in Texas.

rob86jeep

WKR
Living close to the Canadian border I'd love to do some spring bear hunting on Vancouver island, or put in for some Elk and Mule deer draws. Unless I'm missing something, you cant hunt big game in Canada DIY as an American. Yet I see them drawing premium NM, Wy tags down here. Shouldn't the rules be the same for them? I mean they have more animals and less people than the US.
I would be more upset that you can't hunt DIY (without a sponsor) in a US federally designated wilderness area than try to be upset at another country for their laws... Referring to Wyoming if you didn't get the hint.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I think I can host a non-resident alien (US citizen) in Alberta even if they arenā€™t related to me but Iā€™ll have to check. So thatā€™s a minor but significant difference from BC .

Pgidley

FNG
This is something that bothers me a lot as a Canadian - I have an easier time going to the USA to hunt than to go outside of my province. We thoroughly enjoy going to ND every year for pheasants, and have done Wyoming for pronghorn in the past and had a great time.

I raised this issue of not having access to Canadian hunting opportunities as a Canadian with the Canadian chapter of BHA but they said it was outside of their core mandate.

This is something that bothers me a lot as a Canadian - I have an easier time going to the USA to hunt than to go outside of my province. We thoroughly enjoy going to ND every year for pheasants, and have done Wyoming for pronghorn in the past and had a great time.

I raised this issue of not having access to Canadian hunting opportunities as a Canadian with the Canadian chapter of BHA but they said it was outside of their core mandate.

They were probably busy helping Trudeau write up the next list of guns to outlaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk