Anyone else following the Gabby Petito missing person case?

ODB

WKR
As sad as this is, this story is an example of where a huge number of people are these days: if I can make my life look happy and great to others, I can make it happy and great for myself.

a very sad story indeed.

Grumman

WKR
Man I dread when my daughter gets older. I can’t imagine what the parents are going through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
it's a sad story, but i honestly don't really care. i mean, some may call me heartless, I'm not, i can have empathy for her family, i have daughters, and i can't imagine experieicing this- but i choose to NOT insert myself into their situation, i've experienced and witnessed enough death and heartbreak that i chose to opt out for this one. unfortunately people go missing and get killed all the time in this country. why do i have to care about this woman more than any of the other people that have died?

I say this in the same way that i don't care about celebrity deaths (or really anything about their lives) - it sucks they won't be making movies or music or playing a sport but... their death doesn't feel any different to me than the guy up the street, or a random stranger.

i don't know if i'm making selse or just coming across as heartless. perhaps it's compassion fatigue.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
it's a sad story, but i honestly don't really care. i mean, some may call me heartless, I'm not, i can have empathy for her family, i have daughters, and i can't imagine experieicing this- but i choose to NOT insert myself into their situation, i've experienced and witnessed enough death and heartbreak that i chose to opt out for this one. unfortunately people go missing and get killed all the time in this country. why do i have to care about this woman more than any of the other people that have died?

I say this in the same way that i don't care about celebrity deaths (or really anything about their lives) - it sucks they won't be making movies or music or playing a sport but... their death doesn't feel any different to me than the guy up the street, or a random stranger.

i don't know if i'm making selse or just coming across as heartless. perhaps it's compassion fatigue.
The press chose this story to latch on to, why, who knows but they did. Just over four (can it be that long ago) years ago a good friend of mine went missing and I'm certain no body here ever heard about it. His remains were found in the desert seven months later, he had been murdered and to this day hie family has no answers. No national news, and but for a few billboards along interstate 10 paid for by his family with help from "go fund me " there was not even anything on the local news. I think the National news picked up on it because of the circumstances of the case, happy couple soon to be married and then she went missing and he went home and offered no help finding her and now he takes off. Very sad for her family just as it would be for any family who's family member went missing then found dead. I fully agree with you about celebrities, too bad but move on.

Last edited: