Anyone have one of the New Ram Trucks?

BluMtn

WKR
I have a 2017 2500 Bighorn with the 6.4 hemi. I was looking at the 1500 but after comparing the price and gas mileage I decided to go with 2500. When I bought mine Ram offered and I bought the lifetime warranty. It is nice knowing no matter what happens all I pay is $100 to have it fixed. It even covers suspension. What other brand offers a lifetime warranty?

Vortex, and look how they are doing. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Friends don't let friends drive Dodges.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a used 1500 last week. It's the 6 but will work for my purposes. 22k miles off lease from one of the sales guys at the dealership.

Sticker in 2018 was 44k I paid 24k out the door. Went online and bought the Mopar warranty for 1200 less than dealer wanted.

These trucks seem to depreciate really fast first 2 years than slow down.

Maybe used could be a good route for you.

Pro953

WKR
What is everyone’s thought about the newer eco diesel six vs the gas six or the hemi 8? I have a few I am eyeing but some gave the eco diesel 6. I have never run a diesel so not sure what I am getting into on that front...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely had it with my gutless Tacoma. Going to strip it if it’s custom parts and sell privately. Looking at one of the new rams or possibly F150. Gonna see a lot of mountain use here in the Rockies. Any advice? Thanks!

Had a ‘13 Ram with 77k miles and was impressed for the short time I had it. But never got a chance to see it’s longevity. Other than short term I absolutely loved the hemi, the space, ride comfort,etc.. Just never kept it long enough to find out how it faired into the 200-250k mile area. Absolutely should have never traded it in for this ‘18 TRDPRO Tacoma. Absolute failure compared to its predecessor generations.

Had a ‘88 Toyota PU, ‘03 Tacoma, ‘11 Tacoma and now this ‘18 Tacoma. I’m officially done with Tacoma’s. This is a comical joke compared to my past Tacos.

Thanks guys

OP what did you end up getting and are you happy? going through this right now. Looking at a Tacoma TRD Off Road vs new 2021 f150 xl stx and Ram big Horn, basic trims.

Tacomas have crazy resale in hawaii, used they are being sold for more than brand new bc everyone loves them here and there's no inventory at dealers bc of supply chain backup. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider, they feel so small, and the small bed and cab wouldn;t be as good as the others for loading surfboards and kids when going to the beach.

The 2021 f150 super crew xl stx looks nice, interior vastly improved. but I have reservations about the first year of any redesign especially when rushed to be built during a pandemic. , will either look at the 2.7 or 3.5 v6 ( I don;t haul). ford quality seems decent. local dealer has 2020s still too but i have a hard time paying similar price in the last model year of a generation. the new f150 I have an in at t a mainland dealer so the price would be comparable to the 2020.

New ram I'd get either a 2021 big horn crew cab or considering the 2020 ram 1500 classic warlock edition quad cab. big horn would be probably 8-10k more and I'm sure hold its value a lot more. would get the 3.5 v6 in either. I don;t know much about ram's reliability but they seemed to have stepped it up in recent years.

DMurphy

FNG
I have a 2020 1500 that I absolutely love. I had an F150 and planned to get another, but the interior and ride of the Ram was just too good to pass up. Also the backseat is huge, which is a big plus for my tall son. There are a couple of little things that bug me (I miss the keypad), but overall I really like it.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
H
OP what did you end up getting and are you happy? going through this right now. Looking at a Tacoma TRD Off Road vs new 2021 f150 xl stx and Ram big Horn, basic trims.

Tacomas have crazy resale in hawaii, used they are being sold for more than brand new bc everyone loves them here and there's no inventory at dealers bc of supply chain backup. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider, they feel so small, and the small bed and cab wouldn;t be as good as the others for loading surfboards and kids when going to the beach.

The 2021 f150 super crew xl stx looks nice, interior vastly improved. but I have reservations about the first year of any redesign especially when rushed to be built during a pandemic. , will either look at the 2.7 or 3.5 v6 ( I don;t haul). ford quality seems decent. local dealer has 2020s still too but i have a hard time paying similar price in the last model year of a generation. the new f150 I have an in at t a mainland dealer so the price would be comparable to the 2020.

New ram I'd get either a 2021 big horn crew cab or considering the 2020 ram 1500 classic warlock edition quad cab. big horn would be probably 8-10k more and I'm sure hold its value a lot more. would get the 3.5 v6 in either. I don;t know much about ram's reliability but they seemed to have stepped it up in recent years.

Unfortunately I fell victim to Covid layoffs so I’ve been putting selling my truck just yet. However I know this is used car selling gold rush right now. Getting constant calls of dealerships wanting my truck. Hence why I won’t let them get their dirty little hands on my truck. Rather sell private. I have decided to go with a Ram once I get back on my feet.

As for the Tacoma, it’s still a hunk of whale sh*t. Gutless, boring, no power, no room, no fuel mileage. Still convinced the limelight went out the window for them after the Gen 2’s. Not sure if they have slipped as a company or if other companies have just caught up. Heck I know the old legendary manufacturing values of Kaizen and Jidoka(I’m sure I’m butchering the spelling) that Toyota created has since been adopted by many companies auto and non automotive. FCA and Ford however utilize these methods now though. Toyota has a reputation for sure, however I’m convinced this new generation of Toyota vehicles seems to be more based on the reputation and not on the actual engineering. Lot of bark and no bite.

Tried the Ford a few times while test driving, built a few online and looked at how I would want to have it. Unfortunately Fords just don’t get me excited. They seem very cookie cutter and boxy. Just doesn’t seem there is any personality in a Ford. Still refuse to even consider anything GM and the Tundra was nice but the fuel mileage is insanely disappointing. So I’m gonna go with a Ram soon.

I have a '14 Power Wagon that I really love, best hunting truck you can buy IMHO. I swapped to 35s, added White Knuckle sliders, an aluminum flatbed, it just works.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Unfortunately I fell victim to Covid layoffs so I’ve been putting selling my truck just yet. However I know this is used car selling gold rush right now. Getting constant calls of dealerships wanting my truck. Hence why I won’t let them get their dirty little hands on my truck. Rather sell private. I have decided to go with a Ram once I get back on my feet.

As for the Tacoma, it’s still a hunk of whale sh*t. Gutless, boring, no power, no room, no fuel mileage. Still convinced the limelight went out the window for them after the Gen 2’s. Not sure if they have slipped as a company or if other companies have just caught up. Heck I know the old legendary manufacturing values of Kaizen and Jidoka(I’m sure I’m butchering the spelling) that Toyota created has since been adopted by many companies auto and non automotive. FCA and Ford however utilize these methods now though. Toyota has a reputation for sure, however I’m convinced this new generation of Toyota vehicles seems to be more based on the reputation and not on the actual engineering. Lot of bark and no bite.

Tried the Ford a few times while test driving, built a few online and looked at how I would want to have it. Unfortunately Fords just don’t get me excited. They seem very cookie cutter and boxy. Just doesn’t seem there is any personality in a Ford. Still refuse to even consider anything GM and the Tundra was nice but the fuel mileage is insanely disappointing. So I’m gonna go with a Ram soon.

Were you having significant problems with mechanically? How many miles did you have on it? Or, are you just not happy with its power?

I switched from a full size pickup to a mid-size SUV for my hunting and daily driving rig, several years ago. (Nissan Xterra) and just recently had to replace that (hit a deer) with a new 4Runner. The 4Runner seems pretty sluggish compared to my Xterra, but that really is my only complaint so far. And, its not so sluggish that I can't live with it.
My first "Nice" vehicle purchase when I was in the Army, was a 1995 Dodge Ram. When I bought that truck I loved it. I loved how it looked, how it drove, everything about it. By the time that truck hit just shy of 100k miles, a guy came with a flatbed and took it, basically for scrap metal cost. I had so many problems with that truck that even now all these years later, I wouldn't buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat vehicle if they were listed as the most reliable vehicles ever made.. I have even switched rental car companies before when traveling because they tried to put me into a Dodge.. LOL
Anyways, as a new Toyota owner, I'm curious to know what your issues have been on the 3rd gen Tacoma as I think it shares a lot of components with the 4Runner.

IdahoElk

WKR
Were you having significant problems with mechanically? How many miles did you have on it? Or, are you just not happy with its power?

I switched from a full size pickup to a mid-size SUV for my hunting and daily driving rig, several years ago. (Nissan Xterra) and just recently had to replace that (hit a deer) with a new 4Runner. The 4Runner seems pretty sluggish compared to my Xterra, but that really is my only complaint so far. And, its not so sluggish that I can't live with it.
My first "Nice" vehicle purchase when I was in the Army, was a 1995 Dodge Ram. When I bought that truck I loved it. I loved how it looked, how it drove, everything about it. By the time that truck hit just shy of 100k miles, a guy came with a flatbed and took it, basically for scrap metal cost. I had so many problems with that truck that even now all these years later, I wouldn't buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat vehicle if they were listed as the most reliable vehicles ever made.. I have even switched rental car companies before when traveling because they tried to put me into a Dodge.. LOL
Anyways, as a new Toyota owner, I'm curious to know what your issues have been on the 3rd gen Tacoma as I think it shares a lot of components with the 4Runner.
Supercharge it

Reactions: ZDR

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used to have a Ford F-350 (1999) that thing was the least reliable car I’ve ever had . It was in the shop every other week . I couldn’t even sell it to someone in good conscience ( and I had buyers ) . I finally traded it for a Camry to a local dealer .. where the person who wanted to buy it from me went and bought it ... and I have ran into them a few times and they say it’s the least reliable vehicle they have ever had ..what a piece of shit to be exact . I say that’s what I told you .

I then have driven a few SUVs and Trucks and stuck mostly with Toyota’s although my wife bought a new Nissan Titan ( that needed a new engine at 80K ) good for the 100K warranty .

Myself I drive an older Lexus GX470 now , lifted a bit . I love that thing ... it’s basically a slightly larger, upscale 4 runner with a V8 and about the same tech as 2017 cars . It’s great for everything ... although I did have to strap the head of my Bull this year to the roof because it wouldn’t fit in the back . A truck is a bit better hunting and transporting game meat but everything else this is the win. It handles crap weather and tough roads so much better than my Tundra I’ll take the trade off . If I really need I may get a little off road trailer for it .

The 3rd Gen Taco has the 3.5 and a 6spd auto, your 4Runner has the older 4.0 and a 5spd auto. This is the source of most of the complaints about the 3rd gen Taco, but not all.
As for the Tacoma, it’s still a hunk of whale sh*t. Gutless, boring, no power, no room, no fuel mileage. Still convinced the limelight went out the window for them after the Gen 2’s.
Agreed. I've owned every gen of Taco, and still have my 84 with a 3.4 swap. The 3rd gen is an overpriced turd.

Sure, the 3.5 makes more power than the 4.0; but its all above 3.5k and its noisy. You have to listen to it all day vs. the 4.0 pulling quietly down low. At that point the 'better' mileage of the 3.5 goes right out the window. And that 6spd auto can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. Yes, I know OV tune can fix that for another $800.....

All that Toyota safety sense crap that wants to drive the truck for you that blocks a good portion of the windshield. And they've nanny'd the truck so severely that you can't use the locker in anything but 4-lo. Yes, I want to decide for myself when I use the options I paid for.

And then there's how easily the interior plastic scratches. And it's not just a scratch. Its the light grey scratch on a dark grey piece of plastic. Looks like an old beater in hurry if you're not uber careful with the inside.

The thing will probably go forever, but overall quality and drive experience is way down for me.

Anyone with a newer Tundra that can comment on the interior plastics?

What rear springs is Dodge using nowdays?

All of the current Dodge trucks have front and rear coil springs. The front of the 1500s is a double a-arm, the 2500/3500s are live axle with radius arm set up, and the rear on all is a parallel-ish 4 link with panhard bar,

fmyth

WKR
All of the current Dodge trucks have front and rear coil springs. The front of the 1500s is a double a-arm, the 2500/3500s are live axle with radius arm set up, and the rear on all is a parallel-ish 4 link with panhard bar,
2021 Ram 3500's still have rear leaf springs.

Beendare

WKR
You can get the Ram limited with the air suspension......I swear my 1500 Limited drives better than my wifes Lexus.

Plus you can lift or lower it. I put 11/2-2” shims on mine and can raise it for 4wd clearance or lower for parking garages With the touch of a button.

samhelmer

FNG
The electronics in the rams are so nice compared to the competitors too, especially for the price you pay for one in comparison to the competition.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 14 and 17 ram. Both treated me well. Did have a transmission problem with the 14 at about 80k. Covered by warranty. Have a 19 tundra the last 2 years and hate it. They may be reliable but they tow like crap and it gets 14mpg on the highway compared to the 22mpg I got from the hemi. After owning Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota I will be going back to the Ram.

dang sry to hear that. I was went back and forth and back and forth and the toyota dealer ended up having a trd off road 4x4 long bed on the lot (every thing else is wait 2 months) and

dang sry to hear that. Theres no crew cab rams to be found anytime soon here and the quad cab was too weird for me so I ended up test driving the 21 tacoma trd off road DCLB 4x4 and 20 f150 xlt sport and went with the f150. the tacoma transmission and v6 wasnt anything special and the seat/pedal config was really uncomfortable for me. COuple that and the small back seat especially with a baby and planning on more and I passed. the f150 with the 2.7 twin turbo fits all my needs (carry family and surfboards to beach, rinse, repeat), and after the refresh a couple years ago they seem to have ironed oiut the kinks in that engine. I was leary of buying the new one in the first year of a redesign and dont need any fancy gadgets, so took advantage of the end of the year discounts on the old model, it's too bad the tundra is still a couple years out from a redesign

I have an 18 Ram for a work truck as does another co worker.

The good
Power, plenty of power
Nice ride
Nice electronics

The bad
Front chrome rusting on both. Dealer said “just buff it out”

Door hinges squeak. Bad. Sorted them with varios lubricant and same deal

Terrible ground clearance (probably a function of the trim level)

I like some of the things, but no way I’d ever buy one. My 13 Tundra has zero rust and zero problems.