Anyone use the gutless method on their Whitetails?

G Posik

WKR
I try not to gut any animals unless I have to. I think I have gutted 2 animals in the last 10 years. I have killed a lot of animals in the last 10 years ( Getting close to as many as parvo has).

Glenn

Shrek

WKR
I try not to gut any animals unless I have to. I think I have gutted 2 animals in the last 10 years. I have killed a lot of animals in the last 10 years ( Getting close to as many as parvo has).

Glenn

As many as parvo has..lol . I just thought I was a game hog! Does texas even have a whitetail limit ? My georgia limit is 12 and florida is two a day. I shoot 15 to 20 if I am not on a crop damage permit and unknown piles if I am but I'm not even close to parvo status !

Shrek

WKR
24/7/365 for hogs and exotics here also but gut or gutless cleaning hogs is a PIA ! I still shoot any I see on our club but don't go looking all summer. They are so destructive that we shoot them and let them lay most of the time. You can't even give a boar hog away around here.

G Posik

WKR
We have been laying the hogs down like crazy the past two years. This year we have shot 2 (Since March). we shoot every one we see. The small ones we clean (70# or less) the others we give away if some one wants them. Other wise we drag the Big Nasty Boars off to the gut pile. Then yote/fox hunt the gut piles. If the boar has some good cutters might do a euro with the skull. I think we have kept the pressure on the hogs enough the last couple of years they have decided to move to safer properties. The deer population really likes the fact we have help the hogs find a safe place.

Glenn

Shrek

WKR
Glenn , I think I shot ten this summer without trying. Only cleaned two small sows. You can't even give them to the mexican pine straw rakers anymore.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I did 2 whitetail last year gutless. One for a friend 2 weeks ago. I prefer it now & unless I want to weigh a nice buck i will go gutless.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Saw this thread and decided to give it a try . Shot two deer this weekend one buy a field that could be accessed with a truck, gutted that one. The other one in the timber where I had to cross a steep ditch so I used the gutless method. I can see the advantages to both but unless I'm a long way in or shoot a massive buck that I can't drag I'll stick with gutting. I dont like messing with the meat so quickly after a kill I like to let them hang for a couple of days if possible.

mattm94

FNG
I use gutless exclusively... Fronts can be removed from brisket to last rib to base of head in one filleted piece. Fronts and rears are done hide-on, if close to a vehicle. Tenderloins taken out only after separating spine at last rib and folding pelvis and spine up and back... Digging for them won't happen again ;).

cburns17

FNG
I actually tried this for the first time on Friday. I was a good ways from my car and just wanted to throw everything in my pack and go(still had to go to work). It was a breeze. Only downside is that you can't observe the damage done. I like to have confirmation of exactly where I hit. However, I don't see any other reason for gutting unless you have a vehicle nearby.

I pretty much do the gutless method exclusively as well. I don't see the point of dragging a carcass out that I am going to discard, or pulling guts out if they can just stay with the carcass....but that's just me.

Jay Kyle

FNG
Same here, gutless if it has to go on my back. If I'm close to the vehicle it depends on what I feel like in the morning. One thing I heard and CANNOT confirm is if the animal is boned out before rigor morgis finishes you have tougher meat. Anyone know anything about this?

mattm94

FNG
Same here, gutless if it has to go on my back. If I'm close to the vehicle it depends on what I feel like in the morning. One thing I heard and CANNOT confirm is if the animal is boned out before rigor morgis finishes you have tougher meat. Anyone know anything about this?

That part is in fact true, debone and throw it on ice immediately and you're in for chewy stuff... separating and flipping that spine out to get the tenderloins made me realize how much I was in fact leaving behind gettin' at them from the side. Once you've removed the rears, the pelvis isn't rigidly connected to anything, and it's stupid easy to do it.

Hey been reading the thread looks like everyone has a different opinion on this. I do gutless not as messy and the truck is usually a long way from where I hunt. Helped a buddy get a Nv bull this year while went for the packs by the time I got back he had the guts half way out and was totally covered blood. I had to finish that was the first animal I have gutted in along time. Remembered why I hate the guts. Just my thoughts. Thanks for all the good reading always looking for new ways to do things

Shrek

WKR
That part is in fact true, debone and throw it on ice immediately and you're in for chewy stuff... separating and flipping that spine out to get the tenderloins made me realize how much I was in fact leaving behind gettin' at them from the side. Once you've removed the rears, the pelvis isn't rigidly connected to anything, and it's stupid easy to do it.

Horse feathers ! I throw mine in ice slush then drain 4 to 5 days or until it drains mostly clear. Never have tough or strong meat. Hang gutted with hide on for 5 to 7 days at 36* to 38* is even better but not always possible.

Jay Kyle

FNG
One thing I heard and CANNOT confirm is if the animal is boned out before rigor morgis finishes you have tougher meat

I'm thinking this may be a good question to ask professional meat cutters, anyone know folks who work at meat packers?

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking this may be a good question to ask professional meat cutters, anyone know folks who work at meat packers?

I dont know a meat packer, but ihave boned out animals right away and ive boned out animals after haning fora week. And never have i noticed a difference

Lorne