Anyone using a sling bag as a small day pack?

fwafwow

WKR
I’m going on a guided (non-hunting) tour in Canada. We take a bus each day, and sleep in hotels, so I won’t be carrying much (binos, maybe a boo boo kit, phone charger, inReach mini, etc.), so I’m thinking a sling might be the right size. But if you use one, do you ever miss the second strap of a regular backpack?

Something to consider, is the one-shoulder fatigue caused by a sling-type toting contraption. Granted, you're probably not toting much, but you'd be surprised at the amount of muscle strain and ache you get from carrying something like that all day, even with only a couple pounds in it. I'd go with a two-strap day pack.

Mojave

WKR
Dude you can carry a purse, no one will know.

There was a CIA dude that worked at the Embassy I was at, he wore one of those one shoulder murses all the time.

kpk

WKR
I use one fly fishing a lot so I can spin it around in front of me and get stuff out easily without taking it off. I'd much rather carry a small back pack for anything else though as they're much more comfortable.

I use one fly fishing a lot so I can spin it around in front of me and get stuff out easily without taking it off. I'd much rather carry a small back pack for anything else though as they're much more comfortable.
That was my first thought, they're super popular for fly fishermen.

I still use a backpack though, because I love my bladder.

tony

WKR
I'd go with a small backpack. You could accomplish the sling thing with many of them.
If you indeed go sling, I'd look for one with a wide strap and allows you to switch shoulders need be.

I've said it a hundred times, Mountain smith lumbar with a set of strapettes.
I'd say for what you wanting the "tour" model would be great. I have both the day and tour.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried to make a sling bag work for hunting when I only needed a few things buy can't seem to get comfortable with them. I do like them for fishing as others have said

Yea, not a fan of the single strap. It starts hurting my shoulder after a while and no option to switch. If you had one that was reversible strap that might be nice. Waist pack/lumbar pack is another option. Much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks to all who have replied. Sorry to belabor this, but I think I've moved off of the sling bag/murse, as this thread reminded me of periodic pain I get in my upper back. I'm therefore leaning towards either (1) the traditional backpack, or (2) something like one of the MS Lumbar packs.
  1. Backpack.
    • This option probably makes the most sense, right? And I could probably even use some non-hunting/not technical consumer stuff, including one or two lying around my house.
    • But it's sensible, which means of course I have to question it.
  2. New gear - er Lumbar pack.
    • More fun, because it's new. I could eliminate any pressure on my shoulders, but add in the strapettes if I want.
    • But will carrying two sets* of binos, an IFAK, batteries for phone, other lightweight odds and ends, be too much?
* this is for a trip w/ my daughter, so of course I have thought about getting her the same pack, "to carry your binos"

I have a lumbar pack with removable straps I use for short walks to a spot. Its a old Cabelas brand probably bought it 20-23 years ago. I have looked at many since but none works as well as my Cabelas pack. i get bored with things even if they work great so always looking. That Mountainsmith looks like something I would love to try.

I use a sling bag daily for edc. It’s a small Patagonia Atom 8L bag, which I’ve modified a bit for my needs. I’ve been carrying for about three years. It keeps me from carrying too much so it doesn’t get overly heavy, fits just about anywhere as well.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Osprey Hikelite 26 for pretty much everything these days. Out with the family, quick day trips, scouting trips, even some one or two night short trips. Super comfy, easy to load, super light.