Are single bevels ethical?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d say you had an isolated incident, but if you are hunting without shaving sharp broadheads, you should just stay home till you can figure that part out. Exactly how do you tell the are “sharp”?

What exactly did your “pass thru” arrow look like? No blood on that either?

I’ve always got better blood trails with single bevel heads than double and found them to be easier to get shaving sharp. Very ethical.

Used most every conceivable style of broadhead over the years. There’s no one perfect broadhead for every situation or game. Forged, single-bevel COC heads will usually penetrate very well (prefer a double-bevel myself). Over decades of Bowhunting worst BH failures I’ve seen were with mechanicals of multi-component fixed heads with “bleeder blades.” But even those usually work as planned the vast majority of the time.

I still prefer a fixed blade for most of my bowhunting - for me they’re still consistently reliable.

BTW - if it was a complete pass-through and the animal wasn’t recovered it was very unlikely it was a double-lung hit.

OP
B
I’d say you had an isolated incident, but if you are hunting without shaving sharp broadheads, you should just stay home till you can figure that part out. Exactly how do you tell the are “sharp”?

What exactly did your “pass thru” arrow look like? No blood on that either?

I’ve always got better blood trails with single bevel heads than double and found them to be easier to get shaving sharp. Very ethical.

There was blood on the arrow. The shot was 10 yards and arrow buried a ways into the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Yes. Single bevel broad heads are extremely unethical. What other problems can I help you solve?

Just wondering if others have struggled with lack of blood trails. I love single bevels for flight characteristics and penetration

OP
B
I shot single bevel heads for many years, of many different manufactures. As with any broad head, or bullet for that matter. You have to hit them In the right spot. That said, I have sense used many fixed and mech. heads and find no advantage to the single bevel heads. I find I very much prefer bigger holes, most single bevel heads are on the narrow side. The rotation of the single bevel I found no benefit what so ever, after shooting animals with wider cutting blades. And blood trails with the single bevel were no better then any other like sized holes produced with any narrow broad head. I Find three or four blade narrow cutting heads produced better blood, but not as good as big wide holes when the broadheads cut what they supposed to. Nothing wrong with single bevel heads I killed a lot if animals with them, but spent a lot of time tracking animals , that I believe with a wider head I would found must sooner, and easier, and failed to recover a few as well. As now that I shoot wide heads, my tracking jobs for the most ( if I do my part) are much shorter, and heavier blood on the ground helps with my recovering them. As far as unethical, I am not sure what your getting at, it’s up to us to make the shot count. And take only shots that we should be taking.

I mean it’s a shame to kill and animal and have them die in a swamp or heavy brush somewhere within a 1/4 mile and u can’t find them cuz there’s no blood trail.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely need more evidence than one kill. I have never used single bevels but have killed probably 60 deer. Multiple deer that were double lunged didn't bleed a drop, I saw them die in sight though.

Tradchef

WKR
I use them. I’ve used Cutthroat, Grizzly, Zwickey and abowyer in single bevels and they all work fantastic. I’ve had great shots with little blood but they drop in plain sight so I could honestly care less. Easy to sharpen and penetrate fantastic. I used VPA 2 blade penetrators this year. Double bevels. i took three whitetails with them and had similar results on blood but all dropped in sight. As long as you do your part there shouldn’t be any issues at all

Grbrrr

FNG
I have had some friends state that they have had poor blood trails with fixed 2-blade broadheads. I have not heard this particularly related to the type of edge. Personally I shoot kudu point broadheads in 100g for whitetail in the Midwest. I have not had a problem with a blood trail on multiple deer.

Helix broadhead, 125 grain, it was fairly sharp but wasn’t shaving sharp

You should have your broadheads shaving sharp - dare I mention his name, but Ranch Fairy on YouTube has a good blade sharpening how to with The Hunting Public. I'm not an Ashby fan boy, but I did improve my broadheads and blood trailing and even penetration when I sharpened my blades to the point I was genuinely terrified of them.

sndmn11

WKR
I have called in two bulls shot with single bevel heads and recurves pulling around 50lbs. You could sprint the blood trails for the 30-60 yards straight to the bulls there was so much blood.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wont shoot anything but single bevel. You owe it to the animal you are pursuing to have hair shaving broadheads in your quiver. As a bonus, they are the simplest BH to sharpen in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

OP
B
Sometimes I wonder if PETA trolls this site...

I’ve killed many deer with a bow just newer to single bevels. Be patient. We are all trying to learn and there’s a lot of bad info

OP
B
I wont shoot anything but single bevel. You owe it to the animal you are pursuing to have hair shaving broadheads in your quiver. As a bonus, they are the simplest BH to sharpen in my opinion.

I can get them sharp just hard to get them shaving sharp

Laramie

WKR
I’ve killed many deer with a bow just newer to single bevels. Be patient. We are all trying to learn and there’s a lot of bad info

My apologies. There have just been quite a few head shaking threads today.

Any sharp broadhead on the market, when pushed through the lungs of a deer will be ethical. Blood trails will vary but even a field point through the lungs leaves a blood trail with a dead deer at the end. A friend 30 years ago grabbed the wrong arrow...

The big debate between broadhead styles has been 90% created by marketing. People design something new and they come up with ways to sell them. Sometimes as part of that marketing they will put out misinformation to cast doubt about one design or another. In reality, if a hunter can get his head through both lungs, it really doesn't matter what style or brand that head was.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I can get them sharp just hard to get them shaving sharp

Clay Hayes has a good video on sharpening them that is similar to what I do. I use the botton of a Fiesta coffee mug instead of a truck window.