Are single bevels ethical?

jooleyen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they are effective. I shot a deer in the butt with one and it went 20 yards and died. In the butt.

sndmn11

WKR
Would this sharpen a single bevel well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the best choice because it creates a radius, your broadhead edge is straight. A much better choice for a guided method would be the KME, a course and fine bench stone set.

OP
B
I’m giving single bevels another chance this year! Tuff head and cutthroat 200grain

OP
B
Looks like there is a blade single bevel with iron will outfitter now

Greenbar

FNG
They kill fine. Easy to sharpen too. I’ve had good pass through bow and rifle shots on deer that didn’t produce good blood trails for various reasons. Sometimes inexplicable things happen and it just doesn’t make sense.

Gileguy

FNG
Hear me out on this...is it ethical to shoot single bevels with the lack of
Blood trail on a double lung hit?

After reading about the hunter that fashioned a head from petrified wood and killed a buck with it I think any modern broadhead can be considered ethical

Coryl

FNG
My experience with single bevels does not indicate the blood trail is much different at all. I would suggest you get a few more data points before throwing them out of your quiver.

4ester

WKR
I think SB have their place on larger animals such as elk, moose, etc.

If I was shooting deer 100% of the time I’d shoot a expandable.

sveltri

WKR
I've seen 2 animals killed with single bevel cutthroats (take it for what its worth), 1 elk and 1 turkey. I made a terrible shot on the elk and followed plenty of blood the 60 yds it took him to die. The turkey left a blood trail a blind man could follow, however it did go 100 yds, I believe he literally ran out of blood.

Brendan

WKR
This is a slightly old thread that got bumped, but it's not single bevel that's the issue. It's sharpness, and overall cutting diameter. Most single bevels are smaller cutting diameter designed for penetration not blood loss and blood trails, and you need to focus on getting them razor sharp.

Single bevels are harder to get sharp, and aren't quite as durable an edge as a double-bevel, but that's a different story.

Deer I'm using something like a mechanical or an Iron Will Wide with Bleeders. If I move to Elk the only Single bevel I'd use would be Iron Will again with the bleeders.

OP
B
This is a slightly old thread that got bumped, but it's not single bevel that's the issue. It's sharpness, and overall cutting diameter. Most single bevels are smaller cutting diameter designed for penetration not blood loss and blood trails, and you need to focus on getting them razor sharp.

Single bevels are harder to get sharp, and aren't quite as durable an edge as a double-bevel, but that's a different story.

Deer I'm using something like a mechanical or an Iron Will Wide with Bleeders. If I move to Elk the only Single bevel I'd use would be Iron Will again with the bleeders.

I’m going with iron will single bevel 4 blade

I’m going with iron will single bevel 4 blade

I will be using those for Elk and Nilgai this year as well. Sometimes animals just don't bleed. I had a quartered away whitetail buck this year I hit back lungs with a QAD Exodus and the blood was pitiful. When we finally recovered him through a bean field and thick brush the wound had closed almost immediately with fat and hair.

I've also had Sevr 1.5'' give me piss poor blood on pinwheel shots. Sometimes an animal just doesn't bleed like you'd think they would.