Back to back hunt logistics

If the CO tag is easy to get go hunt it, if only for a few days. You can get some eyes on the unit and go back next year. Leave early, go home and get ready for NM. I would not worry about scouting CO. Just go for a few days and have fun. If you can do it without straining your finances.

I have kinda the same thing but not with such a highly sought after elk tag. I drew an AZ tag and though that would be it. I decided to put in for a high probably CO deer tag anyway, that I also had last year. Even if I only go for 4 days I will learn more about the unit and be more prepared for the next time I want to go there and hunt.

Whip

WKR
I've done a few back to back hunts in the past, and won't hesitate to do them again. But I do tend to agree with some of the opinions to put 100% if your effort into the NM tag. That is one that you may never be so lucky to draw again. I'd rather spend my time scouting for a full week prior to the NM hunt dates if I could. On most of my trips to new areas it takes a good 4-5 days before I really figure out what is going on and where to best spend my time. With a tag like yours where a real trophy animal is a good possibility that is going to be even more true. Summer scouting is great and I would definitely do that as well, but your best scouting will be the days leading up to the hunt.
And yes, burnout can become a factor at some point in an extended trip. I'd hate to waste even one day of a great tag like that.
Good luck!

Jon Boy

WKR
Some good advice here. I'd personally do both hunts. However, I'd probably take it easy on the colorado hunt and put zero pressure on filling the tag. Hunts always turn out better for me that way any how, funny how that works. Id leave CO a day early and head to NM, get a hotel room for a night and refurb all my gear. Get 3 solid days of scouting and kill a giant opening morning.
For me the biggest thing with not getting worn down is good food! I suck at pre planning food and I pay for it every year. The hunt/harvest/health podcast discusses this in one of there podcasts.

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Are you a senior in college right now?

If so, here is my take. I have never hunted out west, (Hunting Elk in MT this year though) but I have hunted while in college for ducks and geese in MI. I did more hunting in my college years than I have in the 4 years I have been graduated. I would never trade the 4 years of hunting in college for anything. I would try and do both while you still can. Job, wife, kids, all put a hindrance on the hunting time in the years after you graduate. Get it in while you can!

Enjoy the CO hunt, take it easy, and maybe make it a meat hunt to get in and get out. Or turn it into a trophy hunt for that area and hold out for something nice for that area. If you dont shoot one, oh well. Then you'll be intune, geared up, and ready for the NM hunt.

LaGriz

WKR
Texansam,
Cool problem to have! I agree with Hayguide that you should not dismiss the trophy quality on the Colorado hunt. My hunting buddy killed a awesome 330 Colorado bull on his OTC unit in 2008 with his recurve! I would bring any meat in quarters to a processor that was on my return route from the New Mexico hunt. The longer they chill it before slaughter and processing the better it will be.

Might chose to shorten the 1st hunt by a day if you feel you need the time. The NM tag is a good one. Best of luck to you sir!

LaGriz

weaver

WKR
These days I would absolutely do both hunts but being that this is your first elk hunt I would be very concerned about getting burned out especially if you're going solo. That NM tag is way to good to give it less than maximum effort.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Are you a senior in college right now?

If so, here is my take. I have never hunted out west, (Hunting Elk in MT this year though) but I have hunted while in college for ducks and geese in MI. I did more hunting in my college years than I have in the 4 years I have been graduated. .

Crap don't tell me that! Lol I never get enough time off to hunt ducks or geese more than twice a month thanks to working on top of school

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
go for it! I shot a nice SW Colorado bull last year 1st season. It would qualify as a shooter for most in NM- so you never know!View attachment 50175
Come on, realistic odds for a 1st time elk hunter are real slim, maybe 1%, 2% tops, that's just the truth. OP should be tickled pink to get any elk. Period. Rookie elk hunters and 320 class elk rarely cross paths.

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
Hey guys,

So my original plan for this year (my first year hunting elk) was going to be to go to SW Colorado on a "easy to draw" first rifle tag. Well, out of a random stroke of luck, I had also drawn a second rifle tag in 16C for New Mexico this fall. There is about 3 or 4 days in between those two seasons and was going to see what y'all recommend I do.

In theory I would go to Colorado, utilize the fact that it's an either sex tag and just get a freezer filler, then go to New Mexico and hunt for a nice bull. The thing that concerns me is that I have some questions about that. For one, I am in good shape but how much will the Colorado trip wear me down to where it hinders my ability in New Mexico. Also if I were to get an elk in Colorado, what would I do with it while hunting New Mexico? Granted I plan on living in the Texas panhandle after I graduate so that would make both places only a 9 hour drive.

Some other things I wonder is how do I pack for a trip like that where I could encounter different weather in different climates. What about scouting? Do I camp or motel hunt?

Anyways there's more experience on this site than I could ever attain in a lifetime, and I'm sure these are just amateur newbie concerns, but if anyone has some words of wisdom about anything I mentioned, please feel free to share.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Despite what the Debbie Downers may say, you should plan to kill on both hunts :). I have done some elaborate trips with a lot of parts planned, but I wouldn't plan on how to deal with your CO elk until you have it down and if you have one down, just figure it out. Freeze it in a commercial freezer, buy a freezer and plug it in at someone's house, or chuck it in someone's freezer - that part will work out. If you kill one - you can find somewhere to put it. I've stuck freezers in multiple garages. Even a campground as a place to plug one in for a couple bucks per day. You are young, don't worry about being worn down - just hunt and have a good time.

Kill a nice bull in CO and then a better one in NM. Post up some pics. Live it up.