Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

OldGrayJB

WKR
I'm impressed that a couple of the hip belts stayed in place with that much weight. That's more than I'll ever carry. I'm not surprised that the SG carried weight so well, but a little surprised by the Kuiu. This might destroy their mid tier reputation and put them in a class with the industry leaders.

PMcGee

WKR
Before the second part of your test, you should see if kifaru will send you an XS belt. I ran into similar issues as you and have a similar build. Swapping the xs for the small solved it for me. Thanks again for the reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twall13

WKR
Before the second part of your test, you should see if kifaru will send you an XS belt. I ran into similar issues as you and have a similar build. Swapping the xs for the small solved it for me. Thanks again for the reviews

I'm a 32" waist and with a heavy load I'm awfully close to bottoming out my size small Kifaru belt so I'd be curious to see how that effects things for the OP as well. Either way, awesome review. It's fun to see so many quality packs put to the test.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for all of the effort put into the review. Looking forward to seeing Part 2. I wonder if the seek would have been quicker to load in the revolution platform vs integrated, and how the xpac fabric would have done in the water test vs the spectra. On the load test, were you using any of the frame extensions, or just the standard 24" frame?

There are a couple things you can do to speed up the loading. I'm working on a packing heavy loads video that will cover some of it. The elevated external load shelf is the fastest method I know of.

X-Pac vs. Spectra....honestly in that test I don't know there would be a lot of difference. You could see water beading up on the Spectra fabric, it didn't look like it was penetrating. Meaning it was coming through the seams. I'd love to seam seal our pack and repeat the test. It'd also be interesting to see weight before water test and weight after.

Rokwiia

WKR
X-Pac vs. Spectra....honestly in that test I don't know there would be a lot of difference. You could see water beading up on the Spectra fabric, it didn't look like it was penetrating. Meaning it was coming through the seams. I'd love to seam seal our pack and repeat the test. It'd also be interesting to see weight before water test and weight after.

Was it required it not be seam sealed?

IDWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the energy you put into this! One BIG Q: The apparent winner is KUIU, but it's sort of odd you chose to review the ULTRA, rather than the PRO. The ULTRA isn't even listed on their site anymore and the PRO equivalent (w 6000 ci bag) is listed at 5lb, 13 oz - a full 1.6 lbs more than the tested ULTRA. For those looking to buy based on the review, KUIU is seemingly nullified - IF weight is a decision driver. Just wondering. Thanks again.

As everyone else, appreciate the info and the time you spent putting it together. Part two
Will be very interesting if not similar.

I think the thing we will all find is packs are like boots, some packs fit better for some people and some Packs fit better for others. The impressive thing I found was the ability for most of the packs to carry 157# with out them all acting like the few that did it poorly. I would have guessed it the other way around. Lots of good options out there it seems

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member

I currently have the XS belt on it.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the energy you put into this! One BIG Q: The apparent winner is KUIU, but it's sort of odd you chose to review the ULTRA, rather than the PRO. The ULTRA isn't even listed on their site anymore and the PRO equivalent (w 6000 ci bag) is listed at 5lb, 13 oz - a full 1.6 lbs more than the tested ULTRA. For those looking to buy based on the review, KUIU is seemingly nullified - IF weight is a decision driver. Just wondering. Thanks again.

KUIU didn’t get back to Robby in time to start the test so I used what I was able to get my hands on. In Part 2 it will be a newer pack from KUIU with the exact same suspension as the one I used. As far as top packs, I was most impressed with Sitka, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, and KUIU.